• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

keel guard whos running one?

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I picked up a nice mark on my keel over the weekend. just wanted to see if you guys are running keel guards?

if so where did you get yours?

thanks
scott

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I put one on my boat last year. I bumped into some rocks and chipped the bottom. I purchased this and now protects the bottom and provides peace of mind. I got black. Same price today as back then.

1598466375036.png

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
i feel like thats a good price. where did you get that?

thanks for your help

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Click on the link.

1598466684015.png

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
installed one at the beginning of this season. i thought it would look funny but it blends right in. best thing i did since we beach a couple times a week on some very gravel embedded sand. it will take the gel right off

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a bit annoyed at myself. Had an issue with one of the kids and she needed to go to shore to use the restroom so I had to beach at the launch on the sand, rather rapidly. When I went out under the boat a couple days ago, right smack on the keel I see some very minor scrapes, but scrapes non the less. Annoyed at myself because I was going to put a Keel Guard on but didn't order yet.

Anyhow I am sure it will buff out, the Admiral barely noticed and said no big deal, but I take the boat a lot more serious and really try to take care of everything with it.

So I ordered yesterday the KeelShield from Gator Guard in Black. Got it a bit longer so I can trim it back and install it when it comes on Saturday.

I can see how beaching it, even on sand could put wear and marks on the keel.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Some light scratches on the keel is nothin. On my 232 i was through the gel and about 1/4” of glass was worn away. Some from previous owner but some from me as well. I had to layup quite a bit of glass on the keel and re gel it before i put the keel guard on

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have them on my boat and two waverunners. We beach often, especially the waverunners. About $20 per foot but with a lifetime warranty (which I have used) it’s a no brainer for me.

I had the keel shield on one of my boats, I think they are the same for the most part but the shield I had contained chevrons engraved into it the width of the material (about 5”) all along it’s length. The guards i have have straight lines engraved into theM along their entire length.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie, how far back did you go. I ordered 11' so I have more than enough. I also ordered the stainless steel bow shield. My next question, is that if I come up higher then the water line almost to the bow shield, what would I do around the anchor locker drain hole, just trim around it and notch it out? The keel looks like it get pronounced and taller right where the curve goes to the flat part of the boat, wondering if I should stop right before that or after that.

Also I ordered it it black, since the blue wouldn't match perfectly.

Any advice would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a big bow shield on my boat since I powerload with a Ramp n clamp. My keel guard is above the waterline near the bow shield I think (will check tomorrow morning in the light). I think I got 11’ or 12’ even though keel guard recommend 9’ or 10’. Of your anchor drain is in the path of the guard just notch it like you mentioned. I had to do that once (not on my current boat) and it worked out fine, just make sure water can’t get between the guard and the hull at the notched point.

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I was just about to ask how far to go back. I got a few marks on my keel at the back close to the intake area so I wondered if it would be okay to go all the way back?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would not go all the way back to the intake grate(s), doing so could disrupt the water flowing into the pump(s) and result in cavitation.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the Gator-guard and have not had a single issue with it. Start at the water line and went 9ft back. I don't beach my boat, but it has been helpful with debris. Also a nice piece of mind and protection.

The install is relatively painless, just be patient and follow the directions specifically. Worth the $200!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie, how far back did you go. I ordered 11' so I have more than enough. I also ordered the stainless steel bow shield. My next question, is that if I come up higher then the water line almost to the bow shield, what would I do around the anchor locker drain hole, just trim around it and notch it out? The keel looks like it get pronounced and taller right where the curve goes to the flat part of the boat, wondering if I should stop right before that or after that.

Also I ordered it it black, since the blue wouldn't match perfectly.

Any advice would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

@HangOutdoors Can you please post some pics and thoughts on that bow shield when you get it installed? I’m thinking of doing the same and you don’t see many on here.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AZMark Sure, it is supposed to be in this Saturday. If I don't dunk the boat, which I think we are not this weekend, taking one off, than I am doing it on Saturday.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mine since since 2013 shortly after I "roughed" up my keel on a public launch at Cayuga Lake.

Last year, I forgot about that launch and screwed up my keel but fortunately my keelguard took the brunt of the damage.

Kudos to Keel Guard They are sending (Warranty Replacement) me a 10' one to replace the damaged one. So the $125 I spent 7 years ago turned out to be a good investment. Now if I can just remember to never launch my boat on that lake .

I am sending Como the bill.

IMG_1521.jpg

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length