• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel Guard

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
All right I'm looking to put a keel guard on my AR195. What brand and what length do you guys recommend? As well as any input, on installing.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Watching as I am Waiting after all the gel coat repairs to do the same thing...

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used gator shield on my 19' earlier this season, it went on easier than I imagined it would (I had my brother give me a hand though) I installed a 8' length, personally I wish I went with a 9' length. Here's a link to some pictures I posted of the install
https://jetboaters.net/threads/keel-guard.14354/

tomeygun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I just installed the keelshield this weekend on my AR195. I got a special amazon warehouse deal on a 12foot model and though its way longer than needed, it was only $135 on sale. There not kidding, once it sticks - THATS IT, its on (assuming you did correct prep). Took about 2hours, just me. I used lots of tape to temp hold while I used a white crayon to mark it where I would scuff.

Mine starts at the bow eyelet, ends about 3 ft from the intake grate.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just installed the keelshield this weekend on my AR195. I got a special amazon warehouse deal on a 12foot model and though its way longer than needed, it was only $135 on sale. There not kidding, once it sticks - THATS IT, its on (assuming you did correct prep). Took about 2hours, just me. I used lots of tape to temp hold while I used a white crayon to mark it where I would scuff.

Mine starts at the bow eyelet, ends about 3 ft from the intake grate.
Pic

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did the gator guard on mine. longer would have been better. easy to install. a couple hours solo. sorry I have no photos.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread. But was just researching Keel Guards. Looks like quite a few negative comments on Amazon for some of these brands. Has anyone found an excellent marine adhesive or keel guard that will stay attached to the keel?

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread. But was just researching Keel Guards. Looks like quite a few negative comments on Amazon for some of these brands. Has anyone found an excellent marine adhesive or keel guard that will staty attached to the keel?
I've had keelguards on every boat/ski I've owned since........late 90's-ish until now. I've never had one, ever, come off. I even have one on a small jet ski that I ride pretty hard. I've honestly never heard personally from anyone that has had one come off either. I'd be willing to bet install error would be to blame on most of them.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you wax the boat and install you better screw it in.
Exactly! If you don't prep the surface properly you can forget it.....that goes for just about anything, though.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you wax the boat and install you better screw it in.
LOL, no screws necessary.

I used acetone to strip any wax before applying my keel guard. It is not coming off; trust me.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
LOL, no screws necessary.

I used acetone to strip any wax before applying my keel guard. It is not coming off; trust me.
Now that you mention that I think I remember doing that on our 99 model year bass boat. Never had any problems with that coming off. But things change over the years and sometimes these manufacturers cheapen the products along the way. Thanks for the input all.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Now that you mention that I think I remember doing that on our 99 model year bass boat. Never had any problems with that coming off. But things change over the years and sometimes these manufacturers cheapen the products along the way. Thanks for the input all.
Put one on my 09 before I bought it. So it's only been on a year. Still worth every penny for me as I do beach my boat from time to time.