• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel Plate Removal/Replacement

Ehren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have a 2017 FSH Deluxe and I am looking for some advice from folks that have flush mounted their fish finder Transducer on the aluminum Keel Plate.

Has anyone completely removed this plate to facilitate the installation of their Transducer?

Were there any surprises or items to be watchful of?

Were there any specific torque specifications that need to be adhered to when reassembling?

Please feel free to share any pics you have related to this post...

Last edited:

Ehren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Was there nuts on the bolts holding the plate on? I have a 2018 FSH21 and there is no nut on the bolts, do they just hold in the fiberglass?FB336695-28A1-4756-8858-CF384EE5C94D.jpeg

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I installed my transducer the same as Grover70. I took his idea and got a piece of starboard 1" thick. I cut it to the same dimensions as my transducer. I drilled a hole in the starboard to feed the transducer wire through and then aligned it on the keel plate and marked where the wire hole was on the keel plate and drilled a hole for the transducer wire to go through. I then fished the wire up the drain port (see pic) and then fed it through a hole I drilled next to the cleanout plug port (see pic). I attached the starboard to the keel plate with 4200 and also drilled in two (2) stainless steel bolt holes to add additional strength. Attached the transducer to the starboard using a 2-part marine epoxy (mix and spread). Never had to remove the keel plate for the install. The readings are perfect...have never lost depth signal at speed (no more depth flash). Best location if you ask me!!DSC_9796.JPG DSC_9798.JPG DSC_9799.JPG DSC_9800.JPG DSC_9801.JPG DSC_9802.JPG (Thanks Grover70!!). Also added an underwater LED and Fusion stereo while I was at it!!

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Was there nuts on the bolts holding the plate on? I have a 2018 FSH21 and there is no nut on the bolts, do they just hold in the fiberglass?View attachment 71487
I removed one of mine to install a raw water intake. The bolts just come out. There are threaded inserts molded into the fiberglass. I simply put 3M 4000 back on the bolts when I put them back in. I also left the black gunk stuff in place.

swifty_210FSH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I installed my transducer the same as Grover70. I took his idea and got a piece of starboard 1" thick. I cut it to the same dimensions as my transducer. I drilled a hole in the starboard to feed the transducer wire through and then aligned it on the keel plate and marked where the wire hole was on the keel plate and drilled a hole for the transducer wire to go through. I then fished the wire up the drain port (see pic) and then fed it through a hole I drilled next to the cleanout plug port (see pic). I attached the starboard to the keel plate with 4200 and also drilled in two (2) stainless steel bolt holes to add additional strength. Attached the transducer to the starboard using a 2-part marine epoxy (mix and spread). Never had to remove the keel plate for the install. The readings are perfect...have never lost depth signal at speed (no more depth flash). Best location if you ask me!!View attachment 71606 View attachment 71607 View attachment 71608 View attachment 71609 View attachment 71610 View attachment 71611 (Thanks Grover70!!). Also added an underwater LED and Fusion stereo while I was at it!!
I'm not sure what kind of transducer that is but it looks like it does sidescan. If so, how does it perform with the strake right there beside it? Your install looks good BTW.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I removed one of mine to install a raw water intake. The bolts just come out. There are threaded inserts molded into the fiberglass. I simply put 3M 4000 back on the bolts when I put them back in. I also left the black gunk stuff in place.
Hey boss any photos of this raw water intake?

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm not sure what kind of transducer that is but it looks like it does sidescan. If so, how does it perform with the strake right there beside it? Your install looks good BTW.
No I do not have side scan. Thank you, yes I am very pleased with install and the reading from this location....plus it's out of the way...initially had it off the back transom with a stern mate and had bad readings and everyone swimming tried to use it as a step to get in the boat...had to go from that location!