• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

KeelGuard vs Shield - 9ft or longer?

cbus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know this has been debated before but in separate threads so I thought I would condense it for future users.

I am curious what others prefer and why. Also, what length should be considered and why?

I am going to install one in the next week so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've got a 14 foot strip of Shield on mine. Works great! I had a 9 ft one that I installed on my old AR210 and had no issues with it. I opted to have the dealer install it this time around.

Either brand is fine. Get the longest one you can possibly get. Many stores around here only stock 8' as the longest. I had to go online to get a 1o'.

Last edited:
I decided to go with the shield as I had installed one on my old boat. For the 21' boats 9' or 10' is plenty, add a foot or two for the 23/4' ers. Each manufacturer has their recommendation for boat length and going a foot or two beyond that doesn't hurt anything but the pocketbook.
Some have said keelshield has a better color selection. I also like that it has more ridges for protection. I think in the end both will perform equally well. That's my 2 cents.

I applied the 10 Ft Keelshield as recommended by their site for boats 24-26 feet. I chose Keelshield over Keelguard because the color matched the boat better.

Thanks to all that replied!

I will be making my decision this next week so if anyone else would like to chime in, please do so.

I have the Kevlar keelshield. I wanted a little more strength for the potential random refrigerator/log/stove floating in the Ohio/Licking river here. :-P It looks good on the black hull.

Back