• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keeping Scarab in saltwater

tonyu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I ordered a '21 Scarab 255 Open and am waiting on delivery this week. Does anyone have experience with keeping these boats in brackish/saltwater for several weeks at a time? I've only owned Yamaha jet boats in the past and am familiar with those and how they must be pulled out and flushed after every use. While I understand the Scarab needs to be flushed after use as well, the closed loop cooling system is different so I am wondering if it's safer to keep them in the water. I'm waiting on a boat lift to be installed at my dock, so before that's complete, I'd really rather not have to jockey the boat around on the trailer and store it in a parking lot if it's safe to just let it sit in the water for maybe a month tops. Thanks!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I have zero experience with salt water, but this dealer does (Leonard). A similar question came up a while back, I found it so you can read his response. In short, you'll be fine for a few weeks. Just go boating often! lol

1624471065906.png

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I ordered a '21 Scarab 255 Open and am waiting on delivery this week. Does anyone have experience with keeping these boats in brackish/saltwater for several weeks at a time? I've only owned Yamaha jet boats in the past and am familiar with those and how they must be pulled out and flushed after every use. While I understand the Scarab needs to be flushed after use as well, the closed loop cooling system is different so I am wondering if it's safer to keep them in the water. I'm waiting on a boat lift to be installed at my dock, so before that's complete, I'd really rather not have to jockey the boat around on the trailer and store it in a parking lot if it's safe to just let it sit in the water for maybe a month tops. Thanks!
SALTWATER IS HARSH !!! PERIOD ... I keep mine for 3-4 days MAX and then have to take it out, flush it, put it back again in the water for another 3-4 days . Just do that and your FINE .

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Always this saltwater bashing. I keep mine for 3 weeks in it, then out to clean the hull and do a good freshwater flush. Then back in it goes, during the 3 summer months we have here.
Soon 10 year old, zero issues, and people think its a new boat when they join us for a ride.

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Always this saltwater bashing. I keep mine for 3 weeks in it, then out to clean the hull and do a good freshwater flush. Then back in it goes, during the 3 summer months we have here.
Soon 10 year old, zero issues, and people think its a new boat when they join us for a ride.
All depends where your location is. In Kuwait , during the summer season , weather temp during the day average around 115F-125F ... you know what i am talking about ; little barnacles will appear on the 5th day .

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
UPDATE :

If you have the flushout exhaust plugs on the transom, just flush it because thats for the intercooler (don't worry, your engine will not hydrolock) ... I have been doing it for the past 3 years and had no issues. But once you get the boat on the ramp, flush it through the standard flushout .

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have left mine for a week max never and issue more depending how long i stay in yhe bahamas or fl coastal waters. Also when someone replies look at their locationinland or coastal the go from there....buy corrosion x and spray everything with it its clear and wont stain.

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Where I live, I can't have my boat on the water for more than 3 days (tiny barnacles appear 48 hours later) !!! .... during summer (MAY-SEPTEMBER) , the weather ranges between 45-53 C ... btw, I use CRC 6-56 to flush the engine and use the CRC corrosion inhibitor to spray all over the engine compartment (make sure to spray 30-40 cm away because it will have this yellowish protection ... I spray every metal and aluminum parts twice ... 24hrs between to have the coating and it will last a year ). I have been using these for the past 10 years (for my other boats and had no issues whatsoever) ... Don't SPRAY THE ANODES (SCARIFICIAL METAL) ... thats all ... have a nice day.

Attachments