• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kicker OEM system upgrade questions

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a stock OEM Kicker system that came with my Scarab 165, and I'm wanting something with a little more punch to it without having to do any heavy modifications. Essentially, I'd like to replace the speakers, sub and amps in a plug-and-play sort of upgrade. I got on Crutchfield and did a chat with a sales tech, and they recommended I upgrade to a Kicker 42PXA5001 500W amp for the sub, a Kicker 2PXA3004 300W amp for the four 2-way speakers, Kicker 43KM654LCW 2-way speakers, and a Kicker 42PXA3004 sub. However, I got on another site called Rock The Boat, and they advised me to go with Infinity speakers, subs and amps. I feel like the Kicker gear from Crutchfield would be more likely to fit without modifications, but by the same token, I don't want to just go with Kicker for that reason alone and be unhappy with the sound. Would I be better to go with Infinity, or just stick with Kicker?

Also, I do understand that this is all just mid-level gear. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, I just want an upgrade from OEM with decent quality sound at volume.

Maybe a simpler way to phrase the question would be if anyone has opinions on Kicker versus Infinity in general? The Infinity gear I'm looking at is only slightly more expensive than the Kicker, so it's not a matter of cost per se. But if the Infinity is considered to be the better choice, then it's worth the little extra it may cost.

Last edited:

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I looked at Kicker when upgrading my stock Jensen speakers. After reading countless forum threads and talking to a number of people, I went with JL Audio. I replaced the 6.5's with MX770 speakers since the factories holes were already big for a 6.5 speaker. The speakers are powered by an MX500/4 amp. I'm not sure the differences in the Kicker OEM speakers and what you listed. I'd pull the speakers and see what model is installed. No point replacing them if they are comparable. If possible I'd replace the 6.5's with something bigger.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I went with the JL speakers over the Kicker, however I did go with Kicker amplifiers. I have a Kicker 800.8 marine amp I am trying to sell, that might fit well here, depending on exact goals.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kicker and infinity will be there same for similar models. Both are good. Jl is better, but cost way more.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the replies! Yeah, JL makes good stuff, and I've heard WetSounds are good too, but I'm trying to do this on somewhat of a budget. It sounds like the Kicker and Infinity gear are pretty much on par with each other, and are probably both good mid-range quality. The Infinity speakers are slightly more expensive - I'd be willing to put up the extra dough if they were better than the Kickers. Sounds like either way I go, the quality should be about equal though.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the replies! Yeah, JL makes good stuff, and I've heard WetSounds are good too, but I'm trying to do this on somewhat of a budget. It sounds like the Kicker and Infinity gear are pretty much on par with each other, and are probably both good mid-range quality. The Infinity speakers are slightly more expensive - I'd be willing to put up the extra dough if they were better than the Kickers. Sounds like either way I go, the quality should be about equal though.
If I had to choose between the two, kicker all the way

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have the kicker px500.1 powering a 10inch sub, px300.4 powering the tower and swim deck and the px200.2 from scarab powering the inside speakers. The 500 and 300 amps run very hot. I gotta figure out a way to keep them cool. Wish I would've listened to others and went with a Jl audio amp. But liked the price of the kicker px amps.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Best way is to make sure you have enough voltage going to them and you aren't clipping them. Even then, anything on the boat is going to get pretty hot. I've been installing for 12 years now and I have yet to see any amplifier that stays cool when you are jamming on it hard, even the ones with a AC vent right next to them. I have 5 of the Kicker PXAs and they do get hot, but nothing I have worried my self about. These are micro amplifiers and not surfboards of the past, so it is important to note they do not have a heat sink, the entire chassis handles that. Add in the fact that you are probably taking the boat out on a hot day, and it's in a enclosed compartment... they are going to get very hot. With that said... it is absolutely nothing to worry about unless they start going into protection. I haven't had my out for a 8-9 hour day yet, but we have gone several hours with zero issues at 75% volume.