• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kinda Maiden Voyage 210 FSH

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great day in the bay and gulf today.
Observations and questions…
I can’t back a trailer - yet. I will get it, but ramp was narrow, which made it more difficult.
My mate was experienced and very helpful. We have to navigate the shallow Estero River to get into the bay — went at mean tide and lowest sounding I saw was 2+‘ otherwise 3’ to 6’ - all good. Once in bay channels well marked and all good. Wake speed operated as expected and it is great.
Port throttle was always falling off and difficult to sync engine rpms at speed. I tired the cruise setting and it was a nothing burger. Probably an adjustment will help, but I think a known problem.
Short burst saw 35 mph on context screen, kinda expected more top end but didn’t confirm speed with Garmin.
Used Garmin to mark a trail - hope I saved it correctly so I can use it again. Manuals leave a lot to be desired.
Back at the ramp with trailer in couldn’t nav on trailer after many tries — one or two were good and might have been fine with trailer guides, but without them, it wasn’t to be with the wind - finally used lines and trailer winch - got it on reasonably well. Question is if the bunks are set properly. When I picked up at dealer I noticed the same very small (like none) clearance on port side fender above rear wheel. It appears to me either rear bunks need 1” raise in the rear or boat is too far forward on trailer? How do you figure that out??? My solution was to lock starboard rear strap to trailer and leave port side off for the one mile trip home. Boat shifted on trailer a little and I gained a little fender clearance. I need a solution - totally unacceptable!
Washed down boat, engine cleanout, no-salt etc. Deck and cushions wet - decided to leave cover off for a couple hours — went to yard to put cover on and still wet — gathered up cushions and mats brought them home to dry — Wow - a lot more work than I expected - what do you do???
Love the boat, the Garmin and where I can boat in SWFL. It’s hot and I’m exhausted. Can’t wait to go again and ease into salt water fishing.
Tried to upload video with dolphins playing in wake - file too large. Bummer…
Appreciate your suggestions…2DC00CE3-A619-441A-A33A-BBEB279A3DE9.jpeg

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ericd Nice boat. I do like the FSH. Also you mention short burst, I would assume WOT? Did you do your 1.5- 2 hour Break-In period on your engines with proper steps before going WOT? Very important. If not please check manual and then this forum for how others do theirs.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Absolutely waited until after break-in hours were reached plus two more hours.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ericd A lot of people don't, so I always try to point it out to be helpful.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you - good advice!

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice boat, I read lots of complains about clearance on 21 ft boat in this forum, one member raised a bunk successfully.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have fun great boat I still have trouble with my left throttle falling off some rpm’s. There’s an adjustment screw for it.
when backing up the trailer Tom slow very slow it gives you time to correct.
when you go somewhere for the first time if you go correctly leave a trail on your GPS once you’re happy with that trail don’t keep riding over it with new trails because it will be a mess when you have to follow the trail home one day.
with both throttles floored you should do 38 if people are in front or move them to the back and you should do 40+

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great day in the bay and gulf today.
Observations and questions…
I can’t back a trailer - yet. I will get it, but ramp was narrow, which made it more difficult.
My mate was experienced and very helpful. We have to navigate the shallow Estero River to get into the bay — went at mean tide and lowest sounding I saw was 2+‘ otherwise 3’ to 6’ - all good. Once in bay channels well marked and all good. Wake speed operated as expected and it is great.
Port throttle was always falling off and difficult to sync engine rpms at speed. I tired the cruise setting and it was a nothing burger. Probably an adjustment will help, but I think a known problem.
Short burst saw 35 mph on context screen, kinda expected more top end but didn’t confirm speed with Garmin.
Used Garmin to mark a trail - hope I saved it correctly so I can use it again. Manuals leave a lot to be desired.
Back at the ramp with trailer in couldn’t nav on trailer after many tries — one or two were good and might have been fine with trailer guides, but without them, it wasn’t to be with the wind - finally used lines and trailer winch - got it on reasonably well. Question is if the bunks are set properly. When I picked up at dealer I noticed the same very small (like none) clearance on port side fender above rear wheel. It appears to me either rear bunks need 1” raise in the rear or boat is too far forward on trailer? How do you figure that out??? My solution was to lock starboard rear strap to trailer and leave port side off for the one mile trip home. Boat shifted on trailer a little and I gained a little fender clearance. I need a solution - totally unacceptable!
Washed down boat, engine cleanout, no-salt etc. Deck and cushions wet - decided to leave cover off for a couple hours — went to yard to put cover on and still wet — gathered up cushions and mats brought them home to dry — Wow - a lot more work than I expected - what do you do???
Love the boat, the Garmin and where I can boat in SWFL. It’s hot and I’m exhausted. Can’t wait to go again and ease into salt water fishing.
Tried to upload video with dolphins playing in wake - file too large. Bummer…
Appreciate your suggestions…View attachment 149112
Congrats on your new boat!

As far as backing a trailer, put a hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, move your hand in the direction you want the boat trailer to go. Make small corrections and go slowly. For me, I find that turning around in the seat and looking backwards makes it easier.

Port throttle fall off.... This is just a few hundred rpm caused by greater play in the port throttle and not caused by not enough friction via the adjustment screw at the base of the remote.

Mine does the same, seems to be more play front to rear movement in the port vs the starboard, and this is my solution. Push both throttles up past where you think you will want to be, then with your right hand on top of both throttles, walk each throttle back using just your right hand whilst keeping your hand top of both throttles. Once you get them pulled back to what rpm you want, then just use the cruise assist to adjust your speed from there if you are cruising. I’ve found this to work pretty well while in rougher water. If it’s too rough for that method you’ll have to do each individually, do this by putting the palm of your hand on the base of the throttles and adjust each throttle individually using your thumb and index finger.

As far as top speed. Once you get up past 33 mph the speed gain is a slower rate than up to that point, and is also dependent on water and wind conditions, as well as fuel and cargo load. Some people on the ocean have seen as high as 46 mph, the highest I’ve seen at 750’ of elevation in fresh water was 44.

Getting on the trailer in the wind can be a little tricky. You have two engines, use them independently while leaving the wheel centered. leave the trailer a bit higher out of the water, just so the front bunks ends closest to the winch are barely out of the water. Once you get the boat onto the trailer, even at a pretty sharp angle the boat will center itself, just use little bits of throttle to ease it up onto the trailer. I had thought about getting guide posts as well but have realized that I don’t need them. It just takes practice!

I just recently adjusted the winch tower on my trailer...super easy. First, be sure your live well is full of water as this levels the boat, otherwise it lists to port a little. Once you get the boat on the trailer, start moving about 15 mph and apply the brakes firmly. You will hear the boat move around on the trailer as it settles into its spot, you may have to do this hard stop maneuver a couple of times, tightening the winch in between until you get the hang of it. Now look at the stern and see how much bunk is sticking out past the hull, if it’s more than say three fingers you can adjust the winch tower back the next time the boat is in the water. I marked my trailer tongue with tape, then the next time I launched I used a 3/4” wrench to loosen the winch tower clamping bolts and slid the winch back and re tightened the nuts. I moved mine back far enough so that it would not hit my transducer. Yeah the clearance is close on both fenders, but mine has never touched, when you do the hard stop method with out the transom straps on the boat will center itself side to side as well as front to back.

Dunno what cover you have... I have a empire one that goes completely over the boat, after washing I put that on and open all compartments leave it for a day to dry out. I pop the bow cushions off and set them on edge to dry.

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! You have a great boat for that area. It is a lot of work but it gets easier the more you do it, but still a lot of work. :)
Looks like New Pass Bridge. I have a lot of time logged on the beach each side of the pass. How is the pass? Last time I went through it was very shallow with the tide out, you could see the sandbars.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Many thanks for your thoughtful reply.
I will get the hang of the trailer - hard on myself first time out!
Throttle sync is off 1k or more and can fall off more. Likely needs some adjustment to get closer sync.
May try the trailer tip…I would like to know how it is supposed to be set so I know what to correct.
Cover is factory - putting mats and cushions back tonight. SWFL humidity!
Thanks again!

Congrats on your new boat!

As far as backing a trailer, put a hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, move your hand in the direction you want the boat trailer to go. Make small corrections and go slowly. For me, I find that turning around in the seat and looking backwards makes it easier.

Port throttle fall off.... This is just a few hundred rpm caused by greater play in the port throttle and not caused by not enough friction via the adjustment screw at the base of the remote.

Mine does the same, seems to be more play front to rear movement in the port vs the starboard, and this is my solution. Push both throttles up past where you think you will want to be, then with your right hand on top of both throttles, walk each throttle back using just your right hand whilst keeping your hand top of both throttles. Once you get them pulled back to what rpm you want, then just use the cruise assist to adjust your speed from there if you are cruising. I’ve found this to work pretty well while in rougher water. If it’s too rough for that method you’ll have to do each individually, do this by putting the palm of your hand on the base of the throttles and adjust each throttle individually using your thumb and index finger.

As far as top speed. Once you get up past 33 mph the speed gain is a slower rate than up to that point, and is also dependent on water and wind conditions, as well as fuel and cargo load. Some people on the ocean have seen as high as 46 mph, the highest I’ve seen at 750’ of elevation in fresh water was 44.

Getting on the trailer in the wind can be a little tricky. You have two engines, use them independently while leaving the wheel centered. leave the trailer a bit higher out of the water, just so the front bunks ends closest to the winch are barely out of the water. Once you get the boat onto the trailer, even at a pretty sharp angle the boat will center itself, just use little bits of throttle to ease it up onto the trailer. I had thought about getting guide posts as well but have realized that I don’t need them. It just takes practice!

I just recently adjusted the winch tower on my trailer...super easy. First, be sure your live well is full of water as this levels the boat, otherwise it lists to port a little. Once you get the boat on the trailer, start moving about 15 mph and apply the brakes firmly. You will hear the boat move around on the trailer as it settles into its spot, you may have to do this hard stop maneuver a couple of times, tightening the winch in between until you get the hang of it. Now look at the stern and see how much bunk is sticking out past the hull, if it’s more than say three fingers you can adjust the winch tower back the next time the boat is in the water. I marked my trailer tongue with tape, then the next time I launched I used a 3/4” wrench to loosen the winch tower clamping bolts and slid the winch back and re tightened the nuts. I moved mine back far enough so that it would not hit my transducer. Yeah the clearance is close on both fenders, but mine has never touched, when you do the hard stop method with out the transom straps on the boat will center itself side to side as well as front to back.

Dunno what cover you have... I have a empire one that goes completely over the boat, after washing I put that on and open all compartments leave it for a day to dry out. I pop the bow cushions off and set them on edge to dry.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! You have a great boat for that area. It is a lot of work but it gets easier the more you do it, but still a lot of work. :)
Looks like New Pass Bridge. I have a lot of time logged on the beach each side of the pass. How is the pass? Last time I went through it was very shallow with the tide out, you could see the sandbars.
Yes, New Pass. Can see the sandbars on both sides in the Gulf. You know they are there when the surf is breaking over them 1,000 ft from shore!

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Teaching my kids to backup any trailer. I tell them to grip the steering wheel at the bottom and move the steering wheel in the direction they want the trailer to go, seems to help them.
Get some trailer guides, rumors those have saved marriages round these parts.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ha Ha. Good advice. I also have to find out how to turn off all the proximity alarms on the Highlander. Lots of distractions. I get the steering wheel tip, tried it and found out you have to be looking out the window — not the using the mirrors. 👍

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Many thanks for your thoughtful reply.
I will get the hang of the trailer - hard on myself first time out!
Throttle sync is off 1k or more and can fall off more. Likely needs some adjustment to get closer sync.
May try the trailer tip…I would like to know how it is supposed to be set so I know what to correct.
Cover is factory - putting mats and cushions back tonight. SWFL humidity!
Thanks again!
Throttle synch is off by 1000 rpm if the throttles are both pushed all the way forward?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I will have to test that…
Forgot to mention...everybody has to learn to back up a trailer ! Don’t be too hard on yourself!

At the bottom of the throttle housing is a small plastic plate, remove that and there are two slot headed screws in there. These two screws adjust the amount of tension or drag that is on the throttle mechanism. Try tightening them in 1/4 turn increments to give some more holding power to a given throttle position. I had this very problem on my maiden voyage.

rbarthur21

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can’t back a trailer - yet.
I had to learn also. I had never pulled a trailer before. I really struggled with the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel style. My brain just couldn’t process it. Then I came across a video on YouTube that showed a different technique. He kept his hand on the top of the steering wheel and watched his side mirrors. If the boat starts turning in the driver side mirror too much turn the wheel toward that mirror, and vice versa for the passenger side mirror. It’s the exact same thing as the other technique, but this way clicked in my brain. Now it’s easy peasy. I’m sure you’ll have it down in no time. Best of luck!

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Forgot to mention...everybody has to learn to back up a trailer ! Don’t be too hard on yourself!

At the bottom of the throttle housing is a small plastic plate, remove that and there are two slot headed screws in there. These two screws adjust the amount of tension or drag that is on the throttle mechanism. Try tightening them in 1/4 turn increments to give some more holding power to a given throttle position. I had this very problem on my maiden voyage.
I will be working on the boat today and give that a try. Thank you Capt