• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Cumberland, KY

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lake Cumberland is a reservoir situated in 6 Kentucky counties in the southeast section of the state. Its shoreline measures 1,255 miles and the lake covers 65,530 acres at maximum pool elevation. The reservoir ranks 9th in the U.S. in size. The main lake is 101 miles long and over one mile across at its widest point.

This is predominantly where we boat at and I've fished these waters for years ,it's a beautiful lake. I would highly recommend spending some time on it, but plan for spending longer than a day if you like to explore. Also if you are unfamiliar with the lake I would recommend a good gps as on the lower end it's very easy to get turned around in all the tributaries. There are several great marinas on both ends of the lake, and tons of stuff to do in the area off the water . Lots of great restaurants on the north end of the lake around Somerset /Burnside. Somerset and Burnside are the only "wet" areas around the lake. Several big events go on during the summer months to include a boat race, raft up, poker runs, etc. There are two state parks located on the lake (General Burnside Island state park and Lake Cumberland State park) Burnside Island has camping, golf course, large boat ramp, covered shelters, and plenty of parking as well as a shuttle van. I don't know much about the other state park. You can enjoy a quiet cove by yourself or go to the busier areas of the lake if thats what you're looking for. We usually stay in the upper half of the lake and put in at Burnside Island. Plenty of "quiet water" on northfork or southfork for watersports if thats what you're into.
image.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like the water is pretty clear....yes?
Depends on the time of the year, right now it's very stained from all the runoff at least on our end of the lake. That photo is from the lower end near the dam where water doesn't flow as much. What you see in the photo that looks like shallow water is likely mud eroding from the waves/boat traffic.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wish we had a reservoir like that near us. Looks awesome!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We certainly enjoy it, and it definitely drives the local economy.

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow - that photo looks spectacular. Are there places that rent boats, I assume? Some decent lodging nearby?

TonkaTuff

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I usually make it there late July/August time frame. I've always thought its been clear. Really clear relative to what I have here in OH.

(Photo in my avatar is from of Jamestown Marina.)

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up! We will be there in July, I can't wait!!!

My biggest concern is getting lost but I have a decent GPS and have installed Navionics on my phone. Plus there are going to be several people with us who go there every year so I'm sure we will be fine.

I will be sure to post plenty of pictures when we get back.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Going to Shelbyville 1-3rd of August, and then to Cumberland until the 7th. Hope to have good times at both!

TonkaTuff

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Really the lake is not that hard to navigate... I've managed with just a free map I picked up at the hotel lobby. Now if you are attempting to meet up with someone at a specific point, that can be a little tricky.

Here is a pic from last year leaving out of Jamestown. On that little peninsula, they were tying up for some sort of concert that was happening there later that day. That pic was from July, 2013.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow - that photo looks spectacular. Are there places that rent boats, I assume? Some decent lodging nearby?
Nearly every marina rents boats (waverunners up to houseboats). There's tons of lodging from cabin rentals, hotels/motels to floating cottages at the marinas where you simply tie your boat up. My advice is to pick a weekend to visit when they have the Somernites Cruise. The cruise in routinely attracts a couple hundred old muscle cars, and they close downtown to vehicle traffic and you can walk all of downtown looking at the cars. If you're in the area I highly recommend eating at Guthrie's Riverhouse in Burnside, there is also the usual chain restaurants in the area.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice write up! We will be there in July, I can't wait!!!

My biggest concern is getting lost but I have a decent GPS and have installed Navionics on my phone. Plus there are going to be several people with us who go there every year so I'm sure we will be fine.

I will be sure to post plenty of pictures when we get back.
If you have navionics you'll be fine.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Up until the last couple years they used to have OSS racing on the lake, but haven't heard about it recently. I'll post up some pics from our last trip out last year. image.jpg

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My first trip there 7 years ago was a PITA until we got a map. Granted the water was down like 40 feet so the shoreline was hard to see as a navigation aid! Now with Navionics it's easy :) Love technology! Love this lake!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Very nice write up! Thanks for taking the time. The lake looks spectacular! I have read about others on here that have been. And I fly across it all the time and see it and Kentucky and the "land between the lakes". I would love to see it from the boat!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The lake level is at 705 right now which is a little low, but it's supposed to be back to 725-730 by summer. Either way there's plenty of water for anything you want to do.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I heard some sort of animal was going to prevent them from going back to full pool. http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1091

Have there been any updates on this?

Certainly plenty of water still!!! I just have never seen Cumberland at full pool. It sure made for interesting launching back when it was down 40ft!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I heard some sort of animal was going to prevent them from going back to full pool. http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1091

Have there been any updates on this?

Certainly plenty of water still!!! I just have never seen Cumberland at full pool. It sure made for interesting launching back when it was down 40ft!
The "duskytail darter" was found several miles upriver from the lake. Now a "study" is being completed by US Fish and Wildlife to see if raising the water level would "endanger" them. Last I read in the local paper was that the Corp of Engineers and the US F&W assured the senators/congressmen/state law-makers that the study would be fast tracked and that the lake would be allowed to rise to normal pool. The question is if there will be enough precipitation to raise it back to normal after the study is completed. The sad thing is that where the minnows were found is so far up-river that even at full pool, it won't effect water levels in the minnow's habitat....

Either way, I promise you that this lake is huge and not the dry river bed image that the media is portraying. I live less than 1/8th of a mile from the lake, and drive by it multiple times a day at work...LOTS of water.

Some of the ramps at the county parks aren't long enough to launch a boat at the lower levels. I will tell you that the larger marinas on the lower end of the lake have accessible ramps, and on the upper end Burnside Island's ramp is 4 lanes wide and they are still launching houseboats at their ramp.

I'll get photos while at work tomorrow and post up, the media has blown this way out of proportion....doom and gloom sales, the truth doesn't.