• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Lanier - GA

Kevin404

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based on the user map, I might be the first on here from Lake Lanier in GA. Starting a thread for others to find.

From wikipedia...
"Lake Lanier (officially Lake Sidney Lanier) is a reservoir in the northern portion of the U.S. state of Georgia. It was created by the completion of Buford Dam on the Chattahoochee River in 1956, and is also fed by the waters of the Chestatee River. The lake encompasses 38,000 acres (150 km2) or 59 square miles of water, and 692 miles (1,114 km) of shoreline at normal level, a "full summer pool" of 1,071 feet (326 m) above mean sea level. It was named for poet Sidney Lanier, and was built and is operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. It is patrolled by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (GDNR)."

It's a deep water lake, up to 130 ft in some place, with lots of full service marinas. Vessels range from large 40+ ft cruisers to sailboats to houseboats to kayaks to boats like John Woodruff's 48' MTI Windship (my Yamaha is in the background, far left, of this picture).

IMG_2581.JPG

It's a busy lake in the summers, especially the three major holiday weekends. I think the stats say some 7+ million people visit every summer. Has a bit of a reputation as a party lake. The bottom of the lake is mostly Georgia red clay and the water is very clear, so its good for jet boating. Can easily see my feet when I'm treading water. Lots of inlets, coves, and islands to be found.

The north end of the lake, north of Browns Bridge Road, is relatively quiet in terms of boat traffic and a more serene use of the lake heading up the channels. You can cruise up the Chattahoochee River past the site of the rowing events from the 1996 Summer Olympics which is now a rowing club, for example.

The south end of the lake is busier as is deeper, hosts most of the large marinas (two of them among the largest fresh water marinas in the world), and is home to Lake Lanier Islands Resort. Their Sunset Cove property is extremely popular for boaters offering numerous docks, activities, amusements, and events throughout the summer. It is usual see hundreds of boats in Sunset Cove on nice summer weekends. This picture is one side of Sunset Cove and its entrance on a relatively slow summer day.

IMG_1680.JPG

One of the best events, IMHO, is the Pirates of Lanier Poker Run which raises money for local children's charities. It's the only poker run I've ever attended, but I hear people say it is one of the best poker runs in the country. John Woodruff (of the Coca-Cola family) is personally involved in its organization. It's a fun time for sure. Two years ago I had to spend all day next to the Miss Geico boat at the after party.

IMG_1977.JPG IMG_1984.JPG

No vested interest other than I really enjoy Lake Lanier. If you're out there sometime, hope to see you!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Kevin, It must have be difficult spending a day with Miss Geico! Tough Duty! HA.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am on Lanier...looking forward to our first full season there.

Kevin404

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Gumbeaux - Glad to see you here, and look forward to seeing that gorgeous boat out on the lake this season!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We are planning on taking a weekend at Lanier this summer and will be looking for recommendations on ramps

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ya know, Kev, wut this means ????

This means now I HAVETA start a Lake Oconee thread !

ROFL ! Y'all play nicely now (as Mikey goes crawling off to walk on the beach with Miss Barbie with a big smile on his face).

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey, I did Lights of Lanier or whatever its called last Christmas. It looks like a beautiful lake, and since my mom lives 30 minutes away in Duluth I will probably tow my boat out there and find myself on the lake!

Kevin404

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Kevin404

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey, I did Lights of Lanier or whatever its called last Christmas. It looks like a beautiful lake, and since my mom lives 30 minutes away in Duluth I will probably tow my boat out there and find myself on the lake!
I was out there for the lights this past Christmas, too. That was Lake Lanier Islands Resort you were at, home of Sunset Cove and near Holiday Marina.

Drop a note if you make it up!

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I certainly will. I'll be on here prior asking all sorts of questions I'm sure..

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey, I did Lights of Lanier or whatever its called last Christmas. It looks like a beautiful lake, and since my mom lives 30 minutes away in Duluth .....
Hey ! Depending on the weather, this can truly be called a pretty awesome experience. One to be remembered. Hope you able to do this ....... At least once !
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Now a little south of Lanier, on a little slice of Paradise, called LAKE OCONEE !

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
welcome Kevin. Lanier is my favorite lake. we use to rent a house there every year for 12 years and had the best family vacations, our last year there the water was so low. we hav not been back but I think since kids are gone it time for an adult getaway

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
How is the lake level now? I know it had been low for some time

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Kevin404

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Zarrella @fairpilot .. Lanier has been around full pool since late last fall, currently .5 ft below full pool. Looking great for this summer. Water level does tend to fall as the season progresses, but nothing like it was in the drought years 2007-2009.

http://lanier.uslakes.info/Level.asp

Kevin404

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lake Oconee, Georgia, a NON-government operated Lake, owned & operated by Georgia Power, a division of the AAA-rated Southern Companies, would like to report in herein: LAKE OCONEE is currently at FULL POOL, a level we have enjoyed continually for the past 15 months straight.
Great thing about north Georgia is there are about 20 lakes within 2-4 hour drive. My boss is a tournament bass fisherman, and he takes full advantage of that fact!