• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Michigan-Chicago

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I'm thinking if weather and lake conditions permit. I'm going to put the boat on Lake Michigan later this week and do a little trip from Hammond to the lock into downtown. I'm not going to do the whole loop just going to go down river a little bit then head back. I'm curious about any tips you all could give me for this trip. I'm really looking forward to doing this trip but I'm also kind of nervous. That's one big lake!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can't offer any advice, but would love to seem some pictures!

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, took the boat into Chicago today with my daughter and her boyfriend. We weren't able to get on the lake (it was to rough today), so we put in at Worth, IL on the Cal - Sag and took the rivers up to downtown. It was a lot of fun and a great way to see the city. The best part of the day was getting to watch the Blue Angels practice their routine for this weekends air and water show. What a great day.
20140814_141351.jpg 20140814_143944.jpg 20140814_144156.jpg 20140814_144753.jpg 20140814_150827.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's a little video of the Blue Angels. Blue Angels practicing in Chicago:

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@scot71 My wife and I really would like to do this trip. Whats the time frame from Worth to downtown on the water? Is it mostly No Wake or wide open until you hit the city?
We live about 5 hours from Chicago so I am trying to figure out if its going to be an entire weekend type of trip or just a Friday night and then head out in the morning and drive back home that night. Is there anywhere to stop for lunch or petro?
Thanks for posting pictures. Looks like you had a perfect day.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those pictures are awesome!! Looks fun. The video is set to private though, so i couldn't watch it.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@scot71 My wife and I really would like to do this trip. Whats the time frame from Worth to downtown on the water? Is it mostly No Wake or wide open until you hit the city?
We live about 5 hours from Chicago so I am trying to figure out if its going to be an entire weekend type of trip or just a Friday night and then head out in the morning and drive back home that night. Is there anywhere to stop for lunch or petro?
Thanks for posting pictures. Looks like you had a perfect day.
We got on the water about 1:30 and was loaded back on the trailer by 6:30. That includes about 25 minutes sitting watching the Blue Angels. I would say about half or 2/3 of the distance you can run wide open, but it turns to no wake the closer to the city you get. As for food and fuel. There isn't anywhere to get fuel and I really didn't see anywhere to get food. I could be wrong on the food thing though. Someone else on here may have a better answer for that one. You should definitely do it though. It was a great experience.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those pictures are awesome!! Looks fun. The video is set to private though, so i couldn't watch it.
I think I have the video privacy fixed now. Hope you'll try it again.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is only one place we found to get food on the trip and it has a tiny dock (forget the name). If you go out through the locks and onto the lake you can get to DuSable harbor and they have fuel there.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If anybody has a chance to watch the air and water show from boat it is well worth the effort.
Spectacular show as the planes go low over the water (over the boats) to turn around and attack the beach with each run.

We did not go this this year because of scheduling.
We have gone the past three years.
We always launched in Waukegan harbor and rode into the city. Was a long day but always great enjoyment. Just have to watch the weather and wave predictions.

JCampbell

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The airshow was awesome from the water this year. We always launch from Worth for the Chicago Loop Cruise each year. The wind yesterday am was out of the South so we went left from the launch to Burnham Harbor then up the lake to North Ave. Beach for the show. The wind changed direction out of the NW so we took the Chicago River back to Worth. The river is no wake from the lock to Halsted Street (45min). The trip is about 45 min faster taking the lake vs the river but the river will always be relatively calm. Just watch the marine forecast and you will always be in good shape.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Chicago architecture is always cool to see.
Also, on the Indiana side, going over to boater's beach, which is just east of Burns Harbor and steel mill, is always a huge gathering place. You'll know it when you get there because everything from yachts to dingy's are there. The mill sucks up water out further, cools down their steel, and puts it back into the lake. They are only allowed to warm it 20 degrees from Lake temperature, but it's always a nice welcome temperature!
The fish love it too, and in the morning and evening you can find a good number of fishing boats out there grabbing all the fish they can. This is where we go when we go out on Lake Michigan. Any wind is ok except for out of the north. If it's coming from the north, just don't go there!
Love the river cruise to downtown though.
I know a few midwesters do the Chicago Loop Tour, so maybe if you're interested, try that out as well!