• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Norris vs Lake Cumberland

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Planning already for next season. Want to spend a week at either Lake Norris or Cumberland for some general outdoors and boating.

Looking to rent a lakefront home with docks for the boats, so that is a must. We will probably have 2-3 families and likely 2 boats. Kids ages range from 6-12.

Haven't been to either lake yet. We are from Ohio, so Cumberland is about an hour closer but it seems most people we know end up at Norris. Anyone have advice on which might suit us better? I just don't know much about these two lakes or what things make them different. I have searched the forums here but did not find any "comparison" type posts.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been on Cumberland. Never been on Norris.

We chose a 3rd option with Douglas Lake in TN for our multi-family vacation. It's a shade further than either of the ones you mentioned. We rented a cabin for (2) families in 2019. Had 2 boats with us for the (8) total persons. Was a beautiful lake, very deep, and pretty cool water (we were there 2nd week of June). Water was a VERY awesome blue color, and was really clear. Several restaurants on the water, as well as a state park where we anchored outside the ropes and swam over to play on the beach a few times. Cabin had a private ramp and dock, so it made it SUPER easy to deal with the boats.

Biggest reason we chose Douglass over the other two was the proximity to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Gave us an "out" to go somewhere else if we had a rain out day, or just didn't want to boat one day. Drove to the top of the mountain at the NC line one day, and spent a few hours riding go-carts and shopping and such another day. The other 5 days were spent on the water and hanging around the cabin. It worked out really well for us, and I'm not sure there are similar alternative things to do near Norris. I know Cumberland doesn't have that sort of thing around.

Here's a few pics.

Off the back deck at the cabin:
1626875013126.png

Headed out of the Marina after fueling up. It's a large lake with tons of space. Pretty cool to see mountains in the distance while on the water.
1626875144694.png

Another view of the cabin from across the water. Found it on AirBnB and was ~$4k for week if I remember right.
1626875267301.png

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are from Dayton Ohio and we are literally at Cumberland Lake right now. Will be at Norris in 3 weeks.
Differences, Cumberland is by far smoother water and easier to navigate If unfamiliar. There are no houses close to the lake in Cumberland, almost have to rent a cabin at one of the marinas. We always stay at Conley bottom, nicest, biggest marina and really nice cabins. Get a covered boat slip included and it only about 150 yards from cabin to slip. All paved roads. Great launch dock clean and wide. Only about 3/4 marinas that serve food. Conley Bottom does not sell alcohol so have to bring your own if you want it.

Norris is also great, just allot more boats and house everywhere along the shore. Lots to rent from usually use VRBO to search.
Water is rougher due to number of boats. But lots of marina that serve food and drinks.
Shanghai resort actually has an newer hotel they built that is right on the hill next to the resort. Can walk to resort/ marina. Very nice place. Get slips for boats. Stayed there a few times.
Both are a blast. Expect to pay about $1000.00 / $1500.00 for week at either. Best bet may be renot a large house boat that you can take and park and hen just tie up boats to it. If ther will be 2/3 families, split cost are doable.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Following.
We been to Norris. Rented house through VRBO it really was awesome.
Have considered going to Cumberland but never been there.

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding Cumberland, they banned private docks in 1995 when they took back the shoreline . There are a few residences with them that are grandfathered in, but may be hard to find. Otherwise it's either cabins/houses near community docks or the marinas.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also.....Consider Dale Hollow Lake. Same region. Same issues as Cumberland with lack of food/houses on the water though.

Exceptionally clean water; so much so they use that lake for SCUBA training as you can get 30+ft visibility on calm days. Lake is mostly a rock bottom.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mike Clark I'll be at Conley Bottom this coming weekend! Love that place! And I'm also in Ohio, just outside Columbus...

I've been to Norris once, and this weekend will be my second trip to Cumberland. I agree with what someone else said, Norris you could get lost on, but not Cumberland. Based on my limited experience, the traffic was very similar, so maybe one or the other was out of the norm, I don't know. If you want to rent a cabin/house, look on Norris. If you want to do a houseboat, I'd go with Cumberland. I prefer a houseboat, but to each their own. I've heard Dale Hollow is a magnificently clear lake, so it's on my bucket list, and about the same distance as Norris. Either way, you really can't go wrong, both wonderful lakes.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't know anything about Norris, but curious what time of year you are looking at for your trip next year ? I am on Cumberland a LOT. Normally (up until this season) it seems that the winter bank wash off ( logs , branches , other debris) is pretty bad until late May or early June. Big deal for all boaters but a very big deal for us Jet boaters !! This year it was MUCH heavier than normal. I was on the lake all day yesterday and it is beautiful and really clear. As much as I love Cumberland , I might recommend that you look elsewhere for a spring trip. Late June, July , August , Sept. etc. you can't beat it.

Last edited:

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another member of the Ohio Navy here, as my friend from near Lake Cumberland calls us. Houseboat and tieing off in a Cove is the best experience, but expensive and can be work getting settled on stormy days. My grown kids think our multifamily houseboat trips were the best vacations we took as a family. The State Park at State Dock has a nice lodge and cabins and they will take pets. They have overnight docks for rent just a walk down the hill. The nice part is your at the more interesting part of the lake with more fingers and coves. Plus the Jamestown Marina is real close by water. Indian Hills / Alligator II has a few cabins right on the water with a beach and also has a dock a short walk. Not the biggest or nicest marina. I've never been to Norris, but I really want to go down there for a combination 4x4 and boat week.

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Been to Norris, Cumberland, and Dale Hollow multiple times each. Cumberland is a dirty, nasty lake. Dale Hollow is great, but in the past two years, there is so much traffic on that lake, we decided to switch it up to Norris, which has been great so far.

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been to Norris, Cumberland, and Dale Hollow multiple times each. Cumberland is a dirty, nasty lake. Dale Hollow is great, but in the past two years, there is so much traffic on that lake, we decided to switch it up to Norris, which has been great so far.
as someone who has owned a place at lake Cumberland and pretty much exclusively boats there I am curious why you say that. Last weekend I could clearly see my toes 4 ft down in the water. Due to being a lake formed by damming the Cumberland River there is a time in the early spring there may be a lot of debris in the lake in spots but that is almost always gone by mid June at the latest.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
as someone who has owned a place at lake Cumberland and pretty much exclusively boats there I am curious why you say that. Last weekend I could clearly see my toes 4 ft down in the water. Due to being a lake formed by damming the Cumberland River there is a time in the early spring there may be a lot of debris in the lake in spots but that is almost always gone by mid June at the latest.
I'll guess he wasn't there at a good time. It clears and muddies from time to time based on weather and traffic. Poker Run weekend I couldn't see my waistband. I've been back in coves in Late August a few times where I could see 10+ft down.

Most KY lakes are dammed rivers with muddy/soil bottoms, and in comparison to something like Dale Hollow, or Mead/Powel/Havasu out west with mostly rock/sand bottoms I would consider Cumberland "dirty". As in, lots of dirt in the water. I wouldn't call it nasty by any stretch though, just lots of dirt. It's clean water and dirt, not pollution.

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'll guess he wasn't there at a good time. It clears and muddies from time to time based on weather and traffic. Poker Run weekend I couldn't see my waistband. I've been back in coves in Late August a few times where I could see 10+ft down.

Most KY lakes are dammed rivers with muddy/soil bottoms, and in comparison to something like Dale Hollow, or Mead/Powel/Havasu out west with mostly rock/sand bottoms I would consider Cumberland "dirty". As in, lots of dirt in the water. I wouldn't call it nasty by any stretch though, just lots of dirt. It's clean water and dirt, not pollution.

Ok guys, I definitely owe an explanation for my earlier comment. Let me start by staying I have owned property in Clay County, TN for the last ~16 years. I have boated all three lakes (Cumberland, DHL, and Norris) more times than I can count. I am on the water somewhere every other week from May through September. I have progressively watched Cumberland deteriorate every year. When I say dirty, I am talking about actual trash in the water. Cumberland attracts a certain crowd (no offense to those people, not all are this way); who use and abuse the lake. They tie up, party, lose their inhibitions, and trash the lake. Every time I've been there in recent years, I ALWAYS see trash in the water, broken bottles on the shore, floating tires on rims, etc. Once visually witnessed some stupid chick take a shit from a pontoon into the lake (then laughed about it). Myself, friends, and family refer to that lake as the "toilet bowl". Overly drunk asshats are all over that lake as well; accidents happening all the time. Very sad as well, that lake use to be an incredible place to go.

Now, onto DHL. Most beautiful lake in TN, IMO. Crystal clear water, hardly any trash on the shores, or in the lake. The difference, DHL is a family oriented lake. There are no "party coves" per say. Most boaters who visit there are strictly water sports oriented folks, fisherman, or respectful pontoon cruisers. Local people, as well as people who visit, act as custodians of that lake and take great pride in maintaining it's condition. Unfortunately, the last two seasons, these great attributes have become apparent to many other boaters, and the lake is now overran with traffic. I can be in my favorite cove at 0600 and someone has already beat me there. Try to find another cove; same shit. That usually never happened in the past; now it happens all the time. By noon, the calvary is out, and the lake becomes extremely crowded.

In an attempt to avoid the two separate above issues, my crew and I started going to Norris more. Definitely not nearly as crowded and is clean as well. Seems to be the best of both worlds, for the time being.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, just stating my observations and opinions.

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok guys, I definitely owe an explanation for my earlier comment. Let me start by staying I have owned property in Clay County, TN for the last ~16 years. I have boated all three lakes (Cumberland, DHL, and Norris) more times than I can count. I am on the water somewhere every other week from May through September. I have progressively watched Cumberland deteriorate every year. When I say dirty, I am talking about actual trash in the water. Cumberland attracts a certain crowd (no offense to those people, not all are this way); who use and abuse the lake. They tie up, party, lose their inhibitions, and trash the lake. Every time I've been there in recent years, I ALWAYS see trash in the water, broken bottles on the shore, floating tires on rims, etc. Once visually witnessed some stupid chick take a shit from a pontoon into the lake (then laughed about it). Myself, friends, and family refer to that lake as the "toilet bowl". Overly drunk asshats are all over that lake as well; accidents happening all the time. Very sad as well, that lake use to be an incredible place to go.

Now, onto DHL. Most beautiful lake in TN, IMO. Crystal clear water, hardly any trash on the shores, or in the lake. The difference, DHL is a family oriented lake. There are no "party coves" per say. Most boaters who visit there are strictly water sports oriented folks, fisherman, or respectful pontoon cruisers. Local people, as well as people who visit, act as custodians of that lake and take great pride in maintaining it's condition. Unfortunately, the last two seasons, these great attributes have become apparent to many other boaters, and the lake is now overran with traffic. I can be in my favorite cove at 0600 and someone has already beat me there. Try to find another cove; same shit. That usually never happened in the past; now it happens all the time. By noon, the calvary is out, and the lake becomes extremely crowded.

In an attempt to avoid the two separate above issues, my crew and I started going to Norris more. Definitely not nearly as crowded and is clean as well. Seems to be the best of both worlds, for the time being.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, just stating my observations and opinions.
I assume you were in one of the big party spots to like Harmon Creek or 76 Falls to call Cumberland crowded. On a typical weekend I can find 30 different coves where I may not see another boat the entire day. Now the trash issue has been a problem due to the locals more than the tourists. Due to being fed by multiple rivers it all washes down to the lake. People around there don’t want to pay for trash service so they just toss it down the hill on a back road. People coming to the lake to boat aren’t throwing tires and used propane tanks The lake.
As for accidents I think the last 2 years we have seen an uptick in boating accidents on every body of water, lots of rookie boaters out there.

everyone has their preference, I like Cumberland for the fact I can find a lot of places where there is not a house or dock in sight.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
thanks @bthessel for expressing my feelings in a much more civil fashion !! I have no issues with swimming or taking my grandkids in the water with me on the beaver creek , wolf creek , pumpkin creek , etc. end of Cumberland anytime. The more people that find it "dirty / nasty" and stay away the more the rest of us will enjoy that beautiful body of water.

Last edited:

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
thanks @bthessel for expressing my feelings in a much more civil fashion !! I have no issues with swimming or taking my grandkids in the water with me on the beaver creek , wolf creek , pumpkin creek , etc. end of Cumberland anytime. The more people that find it "dirty / nasty" and stay away the more the rest of use will enjoy that beautiful body of water.
They are already doing that in droves. They are going to DHL mostly and overcrowding it for the exact reasons I stated above.

Personally, I wish Cumberland boaters would stay on Cumberland. LOL

Please, please, please stay on Cumberland!

Texatl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
To the OP- we are transplants from Ohio (Cincy) moved to Nashville over the winter. I have Ohio friends who own a VRBO home on Lake Norris with a dock (2 boat I think). Actually going there this weekend. The house can sleep 15 I think.

PM me if you need some info.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was on Cumberland all weekend, and thought I’d share my experience. We were on the southern/eastern end, by Conley Bottom. Lake water was decent, I could see my feet fairly well, but visibility wasn’t much better than that. Regarding traffic, Friday was pretty nuts, main lake was choppy, with a lot of 1’-2’ swells. Saturday was a little better, surprisingly, but not by a lot. Sunday was noticeably better, and we had a nice time cruising around, exploring. Monday morning, on our way out was breathtaking. Pretty much glass, and full throttle all the way back to the marina. While a little depressing that the weekend was over, it might’ve been the highlight of the whole trip.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I say Norris all day over Cumberland. I like DHL much better than Cumberland