• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Powell must see spots.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will be launching in Lake Powell in a couple of days and I am wondering if anyone can recommend some must see spots from the water.
Thank you

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will be launching in Lake Powell in a couple of days and I am wondering if anyone can recommend some must see spots from the water.
Thank you
I can not, but I'm watching !!!
GO MOOSE!

--

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are so many canyons to explore, it would take a lifetime - a must see place is Rainbow Bridge and Reflection Canyon.

rb.jpg

reflection.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Where are you launching, Wahweap? It was hard for me to envision the sheer magnitude of Lake Powell and the area. How many days will you spend on the water and how many in the area? Will you have a slip at Wahweap or launch everyday and retrieve?

There are a good many canyons to explore and a couple of very nice beaches just a short distance from Wahweap and If you can make the run to Rainbow Bridge, it is worth it, but watch the weather and know your run will be early and when it is calm. I made it in an hour and 8 minutes going, but took 2.5 hours coming back not including a rest stop for lunch and a swim. It isn't like most lakes or the ocean. The sheer walls make for returned waves and wakes, in areas, it's like a washing machine. The castle rock cut is a short cut and keeps you from having to use the narrows that passes Anyelope point marina, but that marina and the trio through there is incredible too. I explored Antelope Canyon, Navajo Canyon, and labyrinth canyon. All were impressive.

We started slow and stayed in Waheap Bay and to the dam the first day, enjoying the beach directly across from the Rv resort at Wahweap, beside Ice Cream Canyon.

If you make the run to Rainbow, definitely gas up for the return at Dangling Rope Marina. Enjoy the lake, and the area is just as spectacular. The slot canyons on Navajo land are incredible, make a reservation, and take a tour. We saw Zion, Bryce, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon while there. Share your journey with us!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The tour down the Colorado below the dam gets you down to the dam base and at the spillway discharge. The tour gives you great insight when combined with then a tour of the dam at the Carl Hayden Visitors Center (Glen Canyon Dam) which maintains the dam. The Slot Canyins I mentioned are a short drive from Page, on the dry end of Antelope Canyon. And a helicopter ride gives you an impressive view of a much greater area and some thrills to boot!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I see the lake level is only 65' below full pool. Full pool is overflowing the spillway and hasn't happened since 1983. You will have the lake 20' higher than we had it, and that will cover a good number of exposed peaks, pay attention to your chart plotter and get a physical map too. Even coming and going from Wahweap toward the dam, as you approach the narrows that pass antelope point Marina, just passed the dam canyon entrance, you have some stick ups there that will be just out of sight...but they are solid rock!!! So pay close attention to the markings and I found them to be not exactly accurate. The best advice @AZDANSX230HO gave me was to watch for color changes in the water. Everywhere you go, the lake is deep, the color changes to muddled when the bottom rises up.

Pbirbeck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We are also heading to Waheap this coming Wednesday for 10 days. Staying at the RV Campground and have rented a slip. Looking forward to seeing the many sights of Lake Powell and surrounding area. Maybe we will see you there.

TheGilster22

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Head out toward Dangling rope and top off the fuel tank. Continue up the lake and look for the San Juan on your right. Take a great boat ride through the San Juan arm. Great spot with little boat traffic. Watch the weather and fuel level. Fill back up at Dangling rope on your way back.

Keep an eye out for the tour boat. It throws a wake that is 5+ feet tall and the wake can sneak up on you from far away.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@AZDANSX230HO or @txav8r
Do you have coordinates for Rainbow Bridge, Reflection Canyon, and Dangling Rope Marina?
Nope, but you can buy a lake map just about anywhere in town, there are buoys with mile markers that lead the way.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@MrMoose , your going to want to get the big lake map wth like markers listed. I can't stress how big this lake is. It is so big that things look similar. Those mile markers really help you determine position. The chart plotter is a great tool, but your going to want a better map with the contour lines.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is a really good reference map but lacks lines. Had tons on it and is a moused by Lake Powell boaters for years.
image.jpeg
The following are contour detailed and I used them to study and reference my crossings and anytime I was puzzled.
image.jpeg

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry for the delayed response to this thread. It was a great 2 days at Lake Powell. Special thanks to @AZDANSX230HO, @txav8r, and @TheGilster22. You guys gave me all I needed to get the most out of the two days on the lake.
Once we were in Page with Wi-Fi, I had the opportunity too update my chart plotter waypoints which really helped with the exploring. It was fun for me to explore the really narrow canyons, and having the chart plotter enabled me to see whether there was a spot wide enough to turn around further ahead.
The highlight for my boys was being able to climb up the canyon walls and explore on their own. It's a pretty unique place!

At sea level, my boat consistently ran 48-52 (maxed at 54). At lake Powell, 40-44 was the max.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is great you got the chance to spend a few days on the lake, looks like the kids had a ball too! Yes, lake Powell is certainly unique! Share the areas you covered if you get a chance.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you enjoyed Lake Powell, it's an amazing place!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is great you got the chance to spend a few days on the lake, looks like the kids had a ball too! Yes, lake Powell is certainly unique! Share the areas you covered if you get a chance.
Face Canyon on the first day, cuz it was close to Wahweap. Second day, we did Rainbow Bridge, Reflection Canyon and poked around the edges of Padre Bay.