• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Laptop for Work

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looking for laptop suggestions. I got permission to work remotely in Brazil so I will let my lease end here in December then go to live in our house in Brazil. I work with large Revit models and some AutoCAD. Don't really game anymore, but i'm thinking that gaming PC's have the best value vs true workstations.

My current desktop specs are:
Intel i7 7700k
GTX 1080
16gb memory

It works well for my work, but I need something portable and feels like an upgrade. I'd like to keep it under $2k.
I want an 11th gen Intel processor, but not sure if it's worth the upgrade from i7 to i9.
Also not sure whether i'll be happy with a RTX 3060 or should upgrade to RTX 3070.
Definitely need more than 512gb SSD

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for laptop suggestions. I got permission to work remotely in Brazil so I will let my lease end here in December then go to live in our house in Brazil. I work with large Revit models and some AutoCAD. Don't really game anymore, but i'm thinking that gaming PC's have the best value vs true workstations.

My current desktop specs are:
Intel i7 7700k
GTX 1080
16gb memory

It works well for my work, but I need something portable and feels like an upgrade. I'd like to keep it under $2k.
I want an 11th gen Intel processor, but not sure if it's worth the upgrade from i7 to i9.
Also not sure whether i'll be happy with a RTX 3060 or should upgrade to RTX 3070.
Definitely need more than 512gb SSD
I'd take a hard look at the upcoming MacBooks with the new M2 or M1X chip, provided the models are cross platform compatible if I were you.

Edit: and I would get a 4k monitor to plug it into when working in desk mode.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I love the XPS line for dell, but not sure if they have the power for heavy autocad and such. Check them out. Also, niiiiiiiiiice! Shredding in Brazil again!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
XPS has plenty of power. Go with the 11th Gen Core I9 they are fantastic and it is what I have and my staff uses. 32gb -64gb RAM and either the I9-11900H or the I9-11980HK. I am pushing 3 monitors on it easy off a dell Thunderbolt dock and two of them are the 38" Dell Curved.

Dell XPS 17 Laptop | Dell USA

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'd take a hard look at the upcoming MacBooks with the new M2 or M1X chip, provided the models are cross platform compatible if I were you.

Edit: and I would get a 4k monitor to plug it into when working in desk mode.
Definitely can't be mac. Revit doesn't work on mac. I have a nice 4k monitor that I will bring with me.

I love the XPS line for dell, but not sure if they have the power for heavy autocad and such. Check them out. Also, niiiiiiiiiice! Shredding in Brazil again!
They built a big jump line near the house so I can do some DH before work! And this time i'll make my way to Paraty and Belo Horizonte for some good riding.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off......Congrats on the approval to move to Brazil. I'm guessing the trip last summer to visit a new friend went well, and things are progressing there eh?

IMO, you simply can NOT beat a Lenovo Thinkpad. I run a X1 Yoga 3rd Gen with the below specs. It's super fast and snappy in general, and runs MOST models acceptably. I also have a docking station that runs (3) HD 24in screens (NOT 4k though). If you need lots of graphics horsepower, I would look at an external GPU setup that runs over TB3. You can most likely find an enclosure that will utilize your existing power supply and video card from your desktop. Easy way to ensure you have the pixel power to run a large Revit model, and not have to cut corners on portability for less strenuous tasks.

This site has a lot of info on eGPU's if you're interested in learning more. eGPU.io - Your Go-to Destination for All Things eGPU

Here's the computer specs. Still holding up almost 3yrs after I originally purchased it (Nov '18).
1632255576980.png

I run this docking station that has all my peripherals (Mouse, keyboard, (3) monitors, speakers, spacemouse) and charges the laptop through a single connection.

Monitors are Dell E2417H's on a somewhat custom mount.

1632255786002.png

I do a LOT of inventor modelling and FEA work on the laptop, as well as a fair bit of programming in VB.net, and MathCAD file generation. On top of all the misc. office shenanigans that everyone has to deal with. I also typically have to carry the laptop out into the shop at least a few times a month and take data-log readings on strain gages. It travels with me to work and home each day, as well as on all my field trips to jobsites like sand mines, Wood pellet plants, sugar plants, foundries, and other less than hospitable locations. The small screen and slim form factor make it easy to travel with, but it still has the horsepower to do my FEA work when at the desk. I use the stylus and digitizer as a portable white board when in the field to explain things to others as needed. It's also a great way to take a picture, write some notes on it, and send it back to the office. Makes drawing markups exceptionally easy as well with a PDF editor (use Xodo if you can, it uses MS's pen algorithms and produces as close to pen/paper as I've ever had).

This is my 2nd Thinkpad, and I'll honestly never buy anything else. The X-Series has mil spec water and dust intrusion prevention, and typically have aluminum or magnesium frames. They're light and durable. I sold my X230T to a coworker, and he's still using it every day. He had it in a meeting earlier today actually. Lenovo's are pricey (no worse than a Mac or XPS really), but you really do get quite the value from them.

Good luck finding the right fit and with the new work location!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First off......Congrats on the approval to move to Brazil. I'm guessing the trip last summer to visit a new friend went well, and things are progressing there eh?

IMO, you simply can NOT beat a Lenovo Thinkpad. I run a X1 Yoga 3rd Gen with the below specs. It's super fast and snappy in general, and runs MOST models acceptably. I also have a docking station that runs (3) HD 24in screens (NOT 4k though). If you need lots of graphics horsepower, I would look at an external GPU setup that runs over TB3. You can most likely find an enclosure that will utilize your existing power supply and video card from your desktop. Easy way to ensure you have the pixel power to run a large Revit model, and not have to cut corners on portability for less strenuous tasks.

This site has a lot of info on eGPU's if you're interested in learning more. eGPU.io - Your Go-to Destination for All Things eGPU

Here's the computer specs. Still holding up almost 3yrs after I originally purchased it (Nov '18).
View attachment 163927

I run this docking station that has all my peripherals (Mouse, keyboard, (3) monitors, speakers, spacemouse) and charges the laptop through a single connection.

View attachment 163928

I do a LOT of inventor modelling and FEA work on the laptop, as well as a fair bit of programming in VB.net, and MathCAD file generation. On top of all the misc. office shenanigans that everyone has to deal with. I also typically have to carry the laptop out into the shop at least a few times a month and take data-log readings on strain gages. It travels with me to work and home each day, as well as on all my field trips to jobsites like sand mines, Wood pellet plants, sugar plants, foundries, and other less than hospitable locations. The small screen and slim form factor make it easy to travel with, but it still has the horsepower to do my FEA work when at the desk. I use the stylus and digitizer as a portable white board when in the field to explain things to others as needed. It's also a great way to take a picture, write some notes on it, and send it back to the office. Makes drawing markups exceptionally easy as well with a PDF editor (use Xodo if you can, it uses MS's pen algorithms and produces as close to pen/paper as I've ever had).

This is my 2nd Thinkpad, and I'll honestly never buy anything else. The X-Series has mil spec water and dust intrusion prevention, and typically have aluminum or magnesium frames. They're light and durable. I sold my X230T to a coworker, and he's still using it every day. He had it in a meeting earlier today actually. Lenovo's are pricey (no worse than a Mac or XPS really), but you really do get quite the value from them.

Holy shit that rig. Love it. Is it always so neat?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy shit that rig. Love it. Is it always so neat?
Thanks. Working in R&D with a different budget for equipment has it's perks :D :D

Yea, this is pretty much how it looks every day. I have a touch of OCD with my workspace :D

Also. Desk goes from 28in to 44in off the ground with the little controller mounted on the side. Makes it nice to move around through the day.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Wow....that is a nice setup.....I'm looking at my desk and embarrassed by comparison!!! Post it notes everywhere....wires tangled everywhere.....when I set up here at the beginning of Covid....I figured....it'll just be a few months...and now over a year later....I still haven't cleaned it up!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

View attachment 163927

View attachment 163928

The thinkpads come with Quadro and i'm not convinced by them. My office desktop had a quadro, although a little older, and it seemed to be real crappy. I think they're better suited for video editing or other professional software besides revit. But i'll read that link about gpu's you shared when I have time.

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The thinkpads come with Quadro and i'm not convinced by them. My office desktop had a quadro, although a little older, and it seemed to be real crappy. I think they're better suited for video editing or other professional software besides revit. But i'll read that link about gpu's you shared when I have time.
Autodesk standardized on DirectX years ago. Quadro cards are generally optimized for OpenGL. I've had much better success with LOTS of ram, a fast SSD, and a DirectX card when doing work with Autodesk.

If you're running an external GPU for your main workspace then you can run a lighter (or shared) GPU for your portable use case.

I would be interested to see what @haknslash has to say about needed GPU with Autodesk products.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Wow....that is a nice setup.....I'm looking at my desk and embarrassed by comparison!!! Post it notes everywhere....wires tangled everywhere.....when I set up here at the beginning of Covid....I figured....it'll just be a few months...and now over a year later....I still haven't cleaned it up!
In a previous life I did high end AV installs, voice and data infrastructure cabling, as well as sophisticated media room installs. Hidden and neatly groomed wires are part of my OCD issues. It's both a blessing and a curse.

One of my coworkers caught on a few months ago. He walks in when I'm having a rough day and turns everything by just |....| That much. Says "you're welcome" and walks away. Of course I have to take a break from real work and straighten everything up, and usually it's a needed break........fun times.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

The specs on this are really good for the price.
Those are some really good specs for that price. Never heard of Maingear before.

Does your office IT staff have any control over your selection? If so, make sure you get something they'll support. Nothing worse than "Figure it out because you didn't buy what we support" when a deadline is looming. Ask me how I know :(

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Autodesk standardized on DirectX years ago. Quadro cards are generally optimized for OpenGL. I've had much better success with LOTS of ram, a fast SSD, and a DirectX card when doing work with Autodesk.

If you're running an external GPU for your main workspace then you can run a lighter (or shared) GPU for your portable use case.

I would be interested to see what @haknslash has to say about needed GPU with Autodesk products.
All of our Engineering work stations use Quadro cards. I have two computers that I use for work. One with Quadro and one with multiple RTX 2080Ti “gaming” cards that is used for animations and photorealistic rendering utilizing the CUDA cores of the RTX cards. I run Inventor and all Autodesk products on both machines for many years and never once had an issue. Double precision workstation Quadro cards cost a grip and honestly I see zero difference in the two in terms of reliability. You’ll never get Autodesk to admit “gaming” cards are supported or ok to use because they are tied in the hip with card MFG’s. I also run Autodesk Inventor and other products on my home computer which uses GTX cards.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All of our Engineering work stations use Quadro cards. I have two computers that I use for work. One with Quadro and one with multiple RTX 2080Ti “gaming” cards that is used for animations and photorealistic rendering utilizing the CUDA cores of the RTX cards. I run Inventor and all Autodesk products on both machines for many years and never once had an issue. Double precision workstation Quadro cards cost a grip and honestly I see zero difference in the two in terms of reliability. You’ll never get Autodesk to admit “gaming” cards are supported or ok to use because they are tied in the hip with card MFG’s. I also run Autodesk Inventor and other products on my home computer which uses GTX cards.
Right, i've been using GTX1080 for Inventor/Revit/CAD since its release. It's a very good card. The unfortunate thing is, to match that GTX1080 performance in a laptop, I would need at least a RTX 3060 ($1500+)

I guess my dream laptop would be

i7 11th gen
rtx 3070
32gb ram
1tb ssd

Probably overkill for my work, but I spend a lot of time on this PC, at least 50 hours a week. My concern with the Maingear laptop is their warranty - I doubt that they would be able to warranty the laptop in Brazil. I want to see if the larger brands can provide support when i'm international.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also, niiiiiiiiiice! Shredding in Brazil again!
I saw this picture yesterday. They cut the weeds and built up the DH trail near the house. I know theres a group that shuttle to the top so I need to make some friends. I thinking maybe i'll buy a buggy there so I can shuttle bikes and drive on the beach lol

IMG_3545.jpg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
yeah buddy! Working from home at a whole other level. haha. Much jelly, so envious. haha