• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Large amount of mist/spray with BRP Thrust Vector (x-posted for visibility)

patrickgrizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Anyone have Thrust Vectors on their BRP jet drives, or a similar issue on other makes? I'm in a 2012 180 Challenger and i'm getting a huge amount of mist/spray from them at cruising speeds (25mph or so). I love the low speed control they add, but I've taken them off because they just soak anyone in the back seat, and the captains chairs are soaked from the back as well. Didn't get a great set of pics/video, but you can kind of see how wet things were getting after a 10min cruise. It's also pretty obvious that they're causing turbulence in the jet output, it's not nice and tight and smooth like w/o the fins. This is on a relatively calm lake, no spray or water in the passenger area from the conditions. I can't imagine I have anything mounted wrong, it was nice and solid, nothing moving or what have you. I'm pretty sure they just aren't flipping up enough at cruising speed.

IMG_2462.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have heard of a few instances of this happening. Its hard to say if the reverse gate is adjusted too low in the forward position or if the new rubber coating on the cross member is causing this. I am going to try to get my hands on a local boat and go test and see if we get the same results. I will post here once we find out.

patrickgrizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I should be out again this weekend to get some quick video of what my jet flow usually looks like. If at all possible i'd love to keep the TVs as they really did improve handling a ton, they're just not usable in current state. I may throw them on in the garage again to get some photos of how high they can flip up with the gate in the forward position.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok good, I am hoping this can be resolved by adjusting the reverse gate. If not I will do everything I can to resolve this for you. We sell a good number of these fins and I want to make sure that every customer has a great experience with our product.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The one outing we had after the thrust vectors were installed was very successful. I don't remember any mist/spray coming into the boat. But, like I said, we've only had it out once since the install and that wasn't a very long trial.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think this issue might be isolated to single engine models @blackhawkpilot

Kevin Hollis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I have a 2008 Sea-Doo 180 Challenger. I installed mine and took it out last weekend and have a similar issue. Lots of spray. I have not tried to put a tube or wakeboarder back there yet waiting for the water to warm up some but if they are getting a lot of mist/spray I will end up taking it off. I love the low speed control but we only need it when putting the boat in and out of the water so that is a small fraction on the time we are on the water. The next time I go out I will get some video.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Kevin Hollis we are working on a solution and will get this resolved asap. I have arranged for a demo boat here in PC to do the testing from. Hopefully will have results quickly.

Kevin Hollis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks, Not sure if this helps but you mentioned the reverse gate. I noticed scratches on the fins about the same location on each fin makes me wonder if the are hitting the reverse gate when they lift up. When I get a chance I will move the boat out of the garage some so I can get behind it and see if when it is forward and I lift up the TVs if they hit. I am assuming they should not? If it is the reverse gate not sure I know how to adjust it myself.

Also, if you can get a video of what things look like coming off the back of your test boat to show us what it should look like that would be helpful.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot .. I had this same issue when I installed the TV on my 230 in 2015.. last year we did not notice it as much but I tried to cruise slightly faster that the bare min to avoid it.. I think what is happening is when u are just at min plane the cross bar between the two halves is in the middle of the jet stream and as a result kicks water toward the boat and up... mine wasn't as bad as what they have pictures but when we started going just a tick faster it seems to help a lot. On my 230 it would limit the spray to the swim deck... I think the faster water speed in conjuction with first air moving over the boat keeps it back there... at slower speed the wind coming get over the windshield seems to actually grab the spray and pull it into the boat. Doing that we didn't notice it as much last year. The wind over a seadoo may be significantly different than my 230.. just my observations.

Kevin Hollis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Rooster tail when getting on plane but once on plane misty spray no matter what speed. I'm not getting as much spray as @patrickgrizz. I tried going at speeds that we would normally go when pulling someone and that was where the concern came up and why I want to get someone back behind the boat to see if the extra spray is a nuance or not. When I pull young kids sometimes I am going really slow barely on plane with kneeboarding and wakeboarding in the 18-25 mph and skiers can be in the 30s. I think the wake and skis will be up high enough to avoid the extra spray but not sure about the tubes and kneeboards. Looking forward to seeing what happens with the test boat @JetBoatPilot is working on getting. My wife really likes the extra maneuverability the TVs give the boat and she is the one that normally puts the boat on and off the trailer.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We tested today and found the issue. We will be testing a new prototype cross member next week and are confident that we'll be able to get this resolved quickly. Sorry for the trouble. The new rubberized coating on the cross member changed the geometry enough to cause some of the water exiting the nozzle to flow over the leading edge of the cross member. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. As always we will warranty any parts that are giving trouble.

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have them on my 2016 242 Limited SE and I don't have any spray...IMG_1411.JPG

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is really a BRP power train Thrust Vector issue now. We added a spray guard to the 2017 Yamaha Thrust Vectors which was mainly for the single engine models. The customers who have reported mist/spray with BRP/ Thrust Vectors have been primarily single engine owners. @Jaime

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, sorry I have not posted. Parts are on order and we should have a small batch of replacement parts to ship in the next week or so.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Kevin Hollis call my office at 850-867-1410 and speak to one of my assistants. We should have inventory later this week.

Kevin Hollis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot i am about to install the new part which side goes up and which faces down?