• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Larger chartplotter install on console

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Anyone have pictures of a larger chartplotter installed on the 210? Was hoping to do a pivot mount of some sort, where I can remove the chartplotter/FF. But the only way it seems to fit is on top of the console (sits up pretty tall). If you mount it to the obvious mounting face it seems like it sticks to far out (towards you) and interferes with the throttles. Dealer is struggling with the install right now. SOLIX 12. Might just have to do some custom brackets. Just thought I would ask if anyone else has run into this.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used a console organizer from Jet Boat Pilot with a ram mount screwed into it. This saves drilling a bunch of holes in the dash and the plotter location can be easily changed if standing or sitting. Works perfect and can easily remove the plotter from the Ram for security.
console organizer.jpgRAM mount.jpg

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Did the same as @Kahuna Khris only my mount is screwed to the upper face of the dash. All the same reasons he mentions apply. Granted I'm only running a 7" but the large ball RAM mount is rock solid.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks @highanddryinco

I will be going with just the big RAM mount per your suggestion. Mounted off the top surface. Should give me all the adjustment I need along with the ability to remove.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just my opinion and it really doesn't matter.....but Solix 12 is more than a little overkill. Would get more benefit soaking that extra $ into a legit transducer and using a smaller 9in screen. Its the ducer that does the work, not the display unit. But to each their own.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I like the touch screen of the SOLIX and targeted a screen large enough if I am down on the swim deck (casting while trolling along) that I can look and see what is in the display.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Like I said, to each their own. If that’s what you like and want to utilize it for, that’s all that really matters.

Out of curiousity, what transducer are you planning on pairing it with and how do you plan to install it?

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The standard one that comes with the SOLIX. I think it is a XM 14 20 MSI T. Says I am supposed to get the MEGA side and down scan with it. Any suggestions on an upgrade I should consider? These accessories are coming dealer installed. Am told if will function at all speeds.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well, can't really answer that without knowing where you boat (location & water depth range), what your intended usage is (fishing?, depth reading?, structure identification?) etc. I briefly looked at the specs for your unit and as I hoped it has an output power of 1K for the sonar (which it should for a unit of that price); however, it is unclear if the sonar they provide with the unit is 1K. I highly suspect it is not because most brands include a 500-600W transducer.

It really is a lot more complicated than most people think; however, the standard transducer supplied works for most people. Especially if you boat in fresh water and in less than 200ft of water.

If you boat in saltwater, in depths ranging from 15ft to over 2000ft and are a serious fisherman....there are many factors that need to be considered and defined before knowing the correct transducer attributes (and in most cases multiple transducers) required.

I can provide my 2 cents...but thats all it is.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
General Guidelines:

Watt power output (source unit & transducer):
Higher is better and will provide a clearer image and have greater range (depth). 500w-600w, 1Kw, 2Kw, 3Kw are the standard outputs. If your source unit and transducer are different Watts...your available usage will default to the lower of each. (a 1Kw source unit and 500w transducer will only return 500w results. A 500w source unit and a 1Kw transducer will also only return 500w results). It is key to match the transducer to the source unit output!

Transducer frequency:
Higher frequency has greater detail while sacrificing range (depth) and lower frequency has greater range (depth) while sacrificing detail/clarity.

Chirp (Variable frequencies)
Low Chirp 24Hz-78Hz range
Med Chirp 78Hz-130Hz range
High Chirp 130Hz-200Hz
Side/Down Scan 455Hz-800Hz

Standard Transducer (Fixed frequency)
50Hz and 200Hz

Transducer beam:
Narrow, standard or wide. Narrow typically is used for low frequency high watt transducers in order to sharpen the beam and increase readings in great depths. Standard is exactly as it is stated...standard/generic beam intended for general usage and good at everything but great at nothing. Wide typically is used for high frequency transducers to widen the overall landscape of scanned area.

High frequency beams are narrow in length and low frequency beams are wide in length....such is the reason for the narrow/low frequency beam and wide/high frequency beam.

The above are your general guidelines with transducers.....now to understand which to use when....is a whole other ball of wax.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks @ClemsonTiger for the info.

Freshwater fishing (for now). Shallows (why I bought a jet boat) to normally 60ft in inland lakes. A few of the lakes I will be fishing go into the hundreds of feet for depth. But nothing in the thousands.

I specifically bought the unit for high quality side scanning looking for structure and contour/map building on uncharted lakes. Then using the unit along with the MinnKota I link to autopilot along along contour depths the fish are hanging at.

Target species is Musky and Walley mostly. First major fishing trip will be in the Lake of the Woods on the border of Minnesota and Canada. I will be the odd duck in the area with a CC and a jet boat. Either one of those is not that common in the Midwest.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I put a Simrad Go9 in the dash someone might be able to put the 12 it will be close.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ClemsonTiger you need to check out the specs of the new humminbird solix and helix line they seem to be very nice. I'm looking at a helix 10 mega now. They all start with 1K rms transducers with 8K peak to peak. Also the new mega imaging transmit at 1.1 - 1.3MHz which is why it get such a super crisp image. I've been searching for a few months now and it seems the new lines from humminbird offer the best bang for the buck for non commercial use. Just my .02.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Rms is the only spec that is important. If you look at other brands (Garmin, Raymarine, Simrad) they only advertise/provide Rms.

Peak to peak ratings are kinda pie in the sky under optimal conditions. Any one brand can claim a peak to peak rating but it’s kinda unverifiable.

Rms standardizes the true output and puts everything on the same scale.

Hummingbird and to a lesser extent Lowrance are typically freshwater units. With side/down scan imaging at frequencies 455-800Mhz...the depth/range is already limited to 30-50ft max readings. Once you jump to 1.1-1.3Mhz....the depth/range of readings is gonna be around 15-20ft max (approximately).

Clarity is gained with increase in MHz but depth/range is lost. Also, the higher the MHz, the narrower the beam. I’ve never seen anything above 800MHz in real life application but I imagine the beam is extremely narrow (5-6ft span) and only reading up to 20ft range.

But if you boat in shallow water, it may work great for you or someone else. I wouldn’t know.

Not to get into a brand battle...but I literally don’t know anyone that has, nor have I ever seen on display at any boat show, Hummingbird. Now if I'm at BassPro shops or watching ESPN Bass Master Classic...with all those 15-20ft glass flat boats with massive outboards...they all have Hummingbird. Me personally, I don't boat in those conditions nor bass fish.

But like I said, Hummingbird is typically freshwater and I boat in Saltwater.

Last edited:

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Good discussion. Mostly see Lowrance and Hummingbird around here for the specific reasons you mention (performance features). I was thinking Raymarine as I did like their hardware, GUI, the 3d visualization capability, and lake mapping features (that did not require submittting files to manufacturers websites). In the end, only Lowrance and Hummingbird have the links (I think) to control trolling motors and the latest hummingbird seems more feature rich (nice contour mapping) for the fish species and depths I intend to target.

Am not brand loyal at all. Just looking for the best value around the features I am looking for. Next boat (did I say that! Have not even gotten this one yet...) might be something different.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
First major fishing trip will be in the Lake of the Woods on the border of Minnesota and Canada.
I miss our annual trip to Sioux Narrows....my MIL has a cabin there....someday we'll go back. This is the only place I've ever caught a fish on the first cast...that is my kind of fishing!!!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been doing some research on Mfd chartplotters, radar and transducers since we have been on a sailboat buying tour around New England. The Yamaha has a Hummingbird 565, which is ok for me on that boat for now. The Beneteau First 35s5 we have chosen and having surveyed Monday 4/09 does not have any working navigation electronics. We will be adding the following to remedy that.

1. Raymarine Evolution wheel pilot, auto pilot that bolts to the helm wheel. https://www.wmjmarine.com/t70152.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA_ojVBRAlEiwAOLRxI1bM38Y4K-g58W6Jx9ccL8ZCMYv79RHr1uXIvYD0eVsw2Bm7X5xw-BoCfgMQAvD_BwE

2. Raymarine Axiom 9rv Mfd Chartplotter https://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarine-Axiom-9RV-with-Navionics-Mapping-and-RV-100-Transducer-P5257.aspx

3. Raymarine Quantum chirp radar https://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarine-Quantum-Q24C-18-CHIRP-Radar-P4745.aspx

4.Thru hull transducer RV-200 RealVision 3d https://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarine-RV-200-RealVision-3D-Bronze-Thru-Hull-Transducer-0-P5371.aspx

The auto pilot and chartplotter are linked together via SeaTalk. http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=5536
If it surveys well as will be ordering to get the Raymarine rebate by 4/22.

Last edited:

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have been doing some research on Mfd chartplotters, radar and transducers since we have been on a sailboat buying tour around New England. The Yamaha has a Hummingbird 565, which is ok for me on that boat for now. The Beneteau First 35s5 we have chosen and having surveyed Monday 4/09 does not have any working navigation electronics. We will be adding the following to remedy that.

1. Raymarine Evolution wheel pilot, auto pilot that bolts to the helm wheel. https://www.wmjmarine.com/t70152.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA_ojVBRAlEiwAOLRxI1bM38Y4K-g58W6Jx9ccL8ZCMYv79RHr1uXIvYD0eVsw2Bm7X5xw-BoCfgMQAvD_BwE

2. Raymarine Axiom 9rv Mfd Chartplotter https://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarine-Axiom-9RV-with-Navionics-Mapping-and-RV-100-Transducer-P5257.aspx

3. Raymarine Quantum chirp radar https://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarine-Quantum-Q24C-18-CHIRP-Radar-P4745.aspx

4.Thru hull transducer RV-200 RealVision 3d https://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarine-RV-200-RealVision-3D-Bronze-Thru-Hull-Transducer-0-P5371.aspx

The auto pilot and chartplotter are linked together via SeaTalk. http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=5536
If it surveys well as will be ordering to get the Raymarine rebate by 4/22.
Just like Hummingbird & Lowrance are geared towards freshwater....

B&G is specifically made for sailboats. (B&G and Lowrance parent company is Simrad, just FYI)
https://www.bandg.com/

If I owned a sailboat, B&G would be my choice...just my 2 cents.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just like Hummingbird & Lowrance are geared towards freshwater....

B&G is specifically made for sailboats. (B&G and Lowrance parent company is Simrad, just FYI)
https://www.bandg.com/

If I owned a sailboat, B&G would be my choice...just my 2 cents.
Yes, I know about B&G and their affiliation with Simrad. I am still looking at all options available, but I would like auto pilot to be compatible/communicate with the chartplotter thru SeaTalk, Nmea 2000. I am sure Simrad has the capability. Not trying to be a smart ass, but this boat has been and currently used on a 120 mile long, 400 foot deep lake so the Raymarine should work well. Just trying to avoid buying different manufacturers equipment that may or may not communicate with each other. I did not want to put in an hydraulic actuator, Simrad, roughly $1k more, when the wheel pilot, Raymarine, is frequently used on these boats with no issues for many years. I like the Raymarine package, but nothing is ordered yet. I just know the original B&G speed/log and depth instruments will not be enough for us to sail comfortably. Thanks for your $.02, still researching.