• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Larger oil filter?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been reading a bit about the available oil filter for my boat( 08 sx230 HO) and became aware of the move by Denso to manufacture new filters for their world market out of their Thailand centers. It seems this affected some Toyota filters as well, and there is a similar hunt for old stock with folks desiring the old fiber media over the new thinner paper like media on the Thailand manufactured filters.

This has me considering aftermarket filters, and I ran into mobile one m1-102 and m1-209

102 is a close match to the Yamaha filter, but 209 is a bigger version... Bigger and with more media.

I understand there is a culture of valuing Yamaha parts associated with the brand, but I am interested and in finding out if anyone has tried any aftermarket fingers, and any filters of a larger form factor such as this m1 209

Thanks again!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those very reasons I have switched to Amsoil filters, which seem a lot more solid. Also run their oil, anyway.

--

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used K&N Filters on my MR1s. I typically also ordered from Amazon. K&N specializes in motorsports filters and they have a good reputation. As an added bonus, they also have an integral nut-shape on the end so you don't have to use a filter wrench to get them on/off

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
K&N HP 1002 oil filters are great, many here used those at least for 1.8 engines

--

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have yet to buy a yamaha filter or oil. I have always used the k&n but recently switched to the large mobil1. No real reason other than that they are larger which i am assuming means more filtration, but they are a nice filter. I would also use the amsoil filters if i could get them easily. Cam

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've tried a bunch of different oil filter out on my 1,052 cc and 1,812 cc Yamaha engines. I didn't notice or expect any performance differences. The k&n filters are a little more user friendly with the nut on the bottom and you can get them in chrome. Some of the Yamaha filters have a fleece element all of them are $25 at my local Yamaha dealer. Here is a link to a write up of what is inside various filters there are other links embedded in the first if you are interested.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/yamaha-oil-filter-what-is-inside.5050/#post-87341

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
i use the Mobil 1 M1-110. @Beachbummer - i am prepping my boat for season today, so did some consideration on going bigger after seeing your post. i have opted not to do so. i WILL say that i use an oversized Bosch option on my 2004 Rubicon due to the supposed benefits of increased capacity/media for off-road. my thinking for the boat is that since Yamaha doesn't even recommend a full drain at oil change (though i personally do a full drain every time), i can't imagine "increased filtration area" to be of any concern. these are modified R-1 sportbike engines: my friends and i took riding sportbikes *ahem* "very seriously" (the engines received a fairly constant, proper beating) and i also owned a sportbike shop - we never once considered the need for increasing filter capacities. however, depending on the oil pickup location, i would purposely/carefully overfill the case slightly to help maintain lubrication to the top of the engine during extended (miles) wheelies. but i am definitely not advising to overfill the MR-1.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've tried a bunch of different oil filter out on my 1,052 cc and 1,812 cc Yamaha engines. I didn't notice or expect any performance differences. The k&n filters are a little more user friendly with the nut on the bottom and you can get them in chrome. Some of the Yamaha filters have a fleece element all of them are $25 at my local Yamaha dealer. Here is a link to a write up of what is inside various filters there are other links embedded in the first if you are interested.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/yamaha-oil-filter-what-is-inside.5050/#post-87341
Unfortunately, Yamaha OEM filters with fleece inserts ("Made in Japan") and are no longer available.
The new Yamaha OEM filters are marked "Made in Thailand" and feature a conventional (paper?) media.

It is still possible to find the good old fleece Yamaha filters (made in Japan) on a shelf in some dealerships but those will usually be of the smaller variety (made for the 1.1.l MR-1 engines) -- those will fit the 1.8l engine and still work, probably better than the new large OEM filters, but those are quite a bit smaller.

--

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have always used motorcraft fl-910s filters on my 1800 engines

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is what I think about oil/filter changes:
If I do the service myself, I'm not paying $400+ service charge. That gives me the RIGHT to purchase any dang oil, filter, spark plug, or tube of grease I want! - and still save a couple hundred bucks :D:D:D

Right?

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks to all. Decided on the larger m1.

Prior owner was using castrol gtx blend 10w 40. Planning on continuing.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought whatever my local auto parts store sold.

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Don't you loose your warranty if you use aftermarket parts!!!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No. There is a law that says they cant do that. Cam.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't you loose your warranty if you use aftermarket parts!!!
No. It is called Magnuson-Moss Act.
Keep a service log and part receipts.

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought used because I don't have the $$ to buy new up-front, and did not want to finance for so long. The fact I don't have to worry about warranty is a plus for me. If it breaks, I'll fix it n my dime, and I can shop around for quality/performance at independent shops. YMMV.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate to bring an old thread back to life but for the first time ever I'm considering going away from the OEM oil filter I really like the K&N HP-1002 bolt off feature has anyone had any issue with this unit?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate to bring an old thread back to life but for the first time ever I'm considering going away from the OEM oil filter I really like the K&N HP-1002 bolt off feature has anyone had any issue with this unit?
IDK, someone had one of those desintegrate or corrode, I don;t know what to trust anymore buit the OEM filters are crap since they switched to paper inside made in Thailand a couple years back (no longer made in Japan with fleece like interior).

This has become my standing oil/filter order, about every 50hrs.
The amsoil filters are built like a tank, you can not even cut them open, need a sawzall, they are so heavy duty. To me it is worth my peace of mind.

1552254835491.png

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I ordered 2 Mahle filters for the skis today. Mahle has always built a nice filter, I have no doubts I'll be pleased with these as well. Also my first time not using the OEM filters, but I usually buy the kits. I've just got a ton of extra oil still from that ridiculous sale last year.