• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Launch ramps in Alameda and Oakland California

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To make a short story long, I took yesterday off with the intent of boating to lunch, since I have taken my boat out in a few weeks but I ended up checking out the boat ramps in Alameda and Oakland instead. The sf bay ramp I usually use is in San Leandro and while access is good and the facilities nice its at 5 to 8 miles further on the water from SF than the alameda and Oakland ramps which equates to an extra hour or so of boating sometimes in rough conditions. Hoping to find something closer here is what I've discovered.

By the way, all of these ramps are free to use.

Alameda has two public ramps, encinal Beach and the grand street ramp.

The grand Street ramp is the furthest south of the sf bay bridge, is deep, in the middle of the alameda marina and has 13 parking spots for trucks with trailers. Street parking is also available but tough to find. Access from the High street freeway exit may be non existent as the signs indicate no trucks over 3 tons are allowed on the high street bridge and my friend who lives there told me that he has never seen boats or big trucks come down that road so another route from the freeway to the ramp should be considered.

The encinal Beach ramp is more secluded between a marina and the naval shipyard (the uss hornet/ floating museum (aircraft carrier) is literally a stones throw away (even for a person with a weenie arm). There I'd plenty of parking in the adjacent unpacked lot but security seemed to be non existent. Moreover, it's very shallow there during low tide. I was there around 2pm and saw several training sail boats 50 yards from the ramp, a few turned over on their sides and the operators were standing in knee deep water to right them.

Finally, there is the Oakland boat ramp located at the jack London aquatic center about a half mile south of jack London square. Plenty of parking but the signs say it is limited to two hours so I need to get clarification on that. Also no security that I'm aware of but very close to the base of the bay bridge so depending on whether the 4 mile trip across the bay to say mccovey cove at giants stadium/AT&T park could be a very short ride. I saw a 20 foot rein ell now rider launch from there so depth should be ok as well and freeway access is excellent.

In conclusion I will use the San Leandro ramp most of the time that I want to boat in sf bay because it is closest to me by car. If I don't want to have as much time on the water because of scheduling conflicts or poor weather conditions I would use the Oakland ramp especially if I'm just going to mccovey cove. I would use the grand street ramp just to try it and especially if my friends from alameda will be onboard. I would not recommend the encinal street ramp ever and wouldn't recommend anyone with a bow rider do so since it is so shallow.

I will add pics of the subject ramps shortly.

Freezer41

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I live near the Grand Street ramp, I don't know where you find weight limits for the bridges but the best way to get to the ramp (From the South) is to take the exit for 23rd Ave and make a U-turn. The intersection is deep enough to flip a U-turn. Then go over the Park Street bridge and turn right on Clement Ave takes you right to Grand.

Last edited:

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's great info guys. I grew up in Deeeeep east Oakland and have not had the itch to boat in the bay yet.for now just lakes, river, and the delta. What are some of the good eating spots on the bay that have docks?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I haven't found many. San Leandro has an el torrito and a decent seafood restaurant on the water. Berkeley marina has Hs. Lordship and skates on the bay. Both are nice but generally pricey (E.g. $35 for the buffet on weekend mornings, 1/2 for "children"). Berkeley also has a hot dog stand at the base of the pier and a convenience store on the marina. Angel island has a restaurant on it with out door seating, I haven't eaten there but the food smelled good when I walked by. Of course there is always what's on the water in SF but I usually use pier 1.5 bc its free vs pier 39 which is $40 per day. In case I did post it earlier, its $15 to park at angel island. Berkeley is free as well.

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't found many. San Leandro has an el torrito and a decent seafood restaurant on the water. Berkeley marina has Hs. Lordship and skates on the bay. Both are nice but generally pricey (E.g. $35 for the buffet on weekend mornings, 1/2 for "children"). Berkeley also has a hot dog stand at the base of the pier and a convenience store on the marina. Angel island has a restaurant on it with out door seating, I haven't eaten there but the food smelled good when I walked by. Of course there is always what's on the water in SF but I usually use pier 1.5 bc its free vs pier 39 which is $40 per day. In case I did post it earlier, its $15 to park at angel island. Berkeley is free as well.
Those are places I used to frequent in my younger days. Except for His Lordship's the service and quality of food is not what it use to be. Horatio's used to be my spot ! The best hand shaken margaritas around!