• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Launching and Loading FSH 190

MGreen063

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have always heard that your trailer should be at the same position in the water when loading and launching the boat. This is simply not the case for me unless I am doing something wrong. When trying to launch my boat, no matter how far I back down in the water, I can not get my boat to slide off without giving it a nice hard push from the bow. I have tried full throttle reversing but still won't budge off the trailer.

Also when loading the boat, I am having to winch the boat up at a length that is longer then the safety chain. Maybe I haven't found that sweet spot yet but I feel like I shouldn't be winching my boat up the trailer that much.

Any tips or tricks or mods that I need to do to my trailer? Has anyone had to adjust there bunks?
What are some rule of thumbs for loading and unloading this boat?

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I know this might sound kinda obvious, but make sure your steering wheel is straight. Just a little off will make things more difficult.
Also, you can manipulate the reverse rpm higher by using the no wake button in reverse. This topic has been covered a lot.

see here:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/launch-problem.14843/

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the same issue to a certain point. It has to do with the ramp angle and the design of these crappy OEM trailers. When the stern starts to float , the front of the boat gets pushed down on the bunks. The FSH does have a pretty deep hull up front so it tends to drag. Mines not terrible but I do need yo back the trailer in much fur8 into the water than any of my pretty boats to get it to float off

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Maybe I have been doing it wrong for 16 years, but when I launch the boat, the trailer is much deeper than when I load it! I don't think I could get my boat off the trailer if only backed down to the point that I load mine, but I do power load it!

Blindduck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m with Jameson on the launching and loading part. Im always deeper launching the boat but have found a sweet spot with the fenders showing about 3 to 4 inches out of the water loading the boat. Hardly ever winch the boat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Shallow angle ramps will be harder to load/launch on than steeper ones. If your boat doesn't move off the trailer...you need to back in further. I like to have someone driving the truck just do a hard stop at the launch depth for my boat (fenders just submerged), that propels the boat off the trailer nicely....but it isn't required.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I like to have someone driving the truck
Agreed.
Kudos to the lovely Mrs. HighandDry who over the last couple of years has really improved her driving around the ramps.
I'll do the initial backing, have everything in a straight line, climb on from dry ground, and then have her back in slow until we're deep enough to start the motor, and finally do the hard stop backing mentioned above and set me afloat.

Coming back on the trailer is where she's improved her confidence and abilities so much and I am so proud of her that she finally took that step.
She can now easily get the truck and trailer into a close position on the ramp above the water after I drop her at the dock.
The key...two little FRS radios and her hands on the bottom of the wheel and me just calmly talking her back into the water while floating around in the boat. No yelling commands. Even "Stop, Stop, STOP!" is verbalized and not yelled. Usually it's followed by a, "please pull ahead ten feet and straighten up."

Once on the trailer, I slide over the bow, stand on the tongue, and winch the last couple of inches. The only "never do this" part is where I sometimes ride the tongue back to the parking lot. Bottom line, I have not had to enter the water even once while launching and retrieving this boat with her around.

It's been a pleasure. I've had several comments from other boaters saying, "I wish my wife would try to do that."
Funny though, she doesn't want a thing to do with driving/maneuvering the the boat. If I ever get hurt and she has to come in, it will be my boat's last voyage as she's simply running it up the ramp until it stops. ;)

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Agreed.
Kudos to the lovely Mrs. HighandDry who over the last couple of years has really improved her driving around the ramps.
I'll do the initial backing, have everything in a straight line, climb on from dry ground, and then have her back in slow until we're deep enough to start the motor, and finally do the hard stop backing mentioned above and set me afloat.

Coming back on the trailer is where she's improved her confidence and abilities so much and I am so proud of her that she finally took that step.
She can now easily get the truck and trailer into a close position on the ramp above the water after I drop her at the dock.
The key...two little FRS radios and her hands on the bottom of the wheel and me just calmly talking her back into the water while floating around in the boat. No yelling commands. Even "Stop, Stop, STOP!" is verbalized and not yelled. Usually it's followed by a, "please pull ahead ten feet and straighten up."

Once on the trailer, I slide over the bow, stand on the tongue, and winch the last couple of inches. The only "never do this" part is where I sometimes ride the tongue back to the parking lot. Bottom line, I have not had to enter the water even once while launching and retrieving this boat with her around.

It's been a pleasure. I've had several comments from other boaters saying, "I wish my wife would try to do that."
Funny though, she doesn't want a thing to do with driving/maneuvering the the boat. If I ever get hurt and she has to come in, it will be my boat's last voyage as she's simply running it up the ramp until it stops. ;)
Just a small "hack" I've learned while off-roading that can apply to the person helping to back your truck down the ramp. Rather than yelling, "Left, no right," and those directions we use the "Driver" and "Passenger" names. If I want her to turn towards her side, no matter if I'm up front or in back, saying "driver" leaves no room for doubt or second-guessing on the driver. They know where to steer right away. If you ever go overloading, it comes in handy.

Thompsbren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I tried adjusting the bunks by using some different brackets/positions and have gone back to the OEM setup. I was trying to avoid the keel hitting the front crossmember pad but I don't think there's any way around it. If the trailer is deep enough for the keel to clear, the stern floats and doesn't centre. Now I just use the depth suggested on the Jetboatpilot video and float on/winch up. Most of my ramps don't allow power loading and are steep. The keel rides on the pad a bit but doesn't seem to do any damage. I have a stoltz roller and stainless bow guard on the way to prevent the marking that comes with winching.

MGreen063

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Its good to know that I am not the only one with trouble getting the boat off the trailer.

When the stern starts to float , the front of the boat gets pushed down on the bunks.
Maybe I have the trailer to far into the water which is causing the bow to push down at the front which never allows me to get the eye all the way to the bow roller? I will place the trailer a little shallower when loading it next time and see how it does. As of right now I am still having to winch it about 1ft - 2 ft. after I have pulled the boat onto the trailer. I also have the Stoltz roller to be delivered tomorrow so that will help with the scratching.

I also heard of silicone spray to slick up the bunks. I don't really want to add another step into my boat launching procedure. How long does the bunks stay slick after spraying them?

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I never power load since I do all the driving myself, I don't trust my tow vehicle, it is a Ford Explorer and it struggles a bit to pull the boat up the ramp. My wife ropes the boat up to the bunks and I manually winch it about five feet. As far as launching, my wife holds the ropes and I give it a little bump with a tap on the breaks and it slides right off (fenders about 2-3 inches above the water.