• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lea-Hutaff @ TopSail

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey All,
Heading to the Ash Island area of Topsail to a water front rental. In looking at some reviews I'm reading that Lea-Hutaff is a really cool place. I'm primarily a lake person when it comes to boating and wanted to see if anyone had any pointers, advice, suggestions or warnings for stretch of ICW.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hey All,
Heading to the Ash Island area of Topsail to a water front rental. In looking at some reviews I'm reading that Lea-Hutaff is a really cool place. I'm primarily a lake person when it comes to boating and wanted to see if anyone had any pointers, advice, suggestions or warnings for stretch of ICW.
Hey @Krats

Come and join our Carolina's group on FB if you like ( Facebook Groups) . I live right in Hampstead and I'm on the water all the time. I can say that a GPS of some kind would be a great idea. We go to the island all the time and take the "S" curve in yellow. The inlet has been worked on and just finished a couple of months ago. Let me know if you have any questions. I have a very amateur channel that I created for fun. I have a few videos out there you may want to take a look at.
1615303324728.png

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, I was thinking about this area for beaching. What about the next inlet North of here? Near Camp Lejeune. We are staying just south of there so it would be a lot closer...

Hey @Krats

Come and join our Carolina's group on FB if you like ( Facebook Groups) . I live right in Hampstead and I'm on the water all the time. I can say that a GPS of some kind would be a great idea. We go to the island all the time and take the "S" curve in yellow. The inlet has been worked on and just finished a couple of months ago. Let me know if you have any questions. I have a very amateur channel that I created for fun. I have a few videos out there you may want to take a look at.
View attachment 143897
Thiab

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We went to Lea last year, it was great. Beached just south of Topsail Inlet where the water was calmer. We put the boat in near the old swing bridge, did not go north.

I had a lot of great pointers from @mkbcaptain on navigating the channel, there were a couple of tricky spots where it wasn't obvious which side of the markers to stay on, here's that thread: https://jetboaters.net/threads/boating-near-topsail-island-nc.28926/

For my own peace of mind I took a handheld VHF and upgraded my tow membership to saltwater, up until that point all my boating was Jordan / Harris lakes.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We went to Lea last year, it was great. Beached just south of Topsail Inlet where the water was calmer. We put the boat in near the old swing bridge, did not go north.

I had a lot of great pointers from @mkbcaptain on navigating the channel, there were a couple of tricky spots where it wasn't obvious which side of the markers to stay on, here's that thread: https://jetboaters.net/threads/boating-near-topsail-island-nc.28926/

For my own peace of mind I took a handheld VHF and upgraded my tow membership to saltwater, up until that point all my boating was Jordan / Harris lakes.
You're out on Harris? I live right down Avent Ferry there. Starting to see more and more yamaha boats out on Harris. I always see a ton out on Jordan.

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The boat sleeps closer to Jordan so we're probably 80/20 between Jordan/Harris. Mostly we go to Harris when the water level on Jordan is too high.

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I ordered my handheld two days ago and will upgrade my tow membership as well.. thanks for the link too

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks, I was thinking about this area for beaching. What about the next inlet North of here? Near Camp Lejeune. We are staying just south of there so it would be a lot closer...

Thiab
I have not been that way to the inlet. But I know that few of our Carolina members on FB go out that way. New River Inlet stays busy. I have been on the New Reiver a bunch of times and that is a nice body of water to be on.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I live in Surf City, and Have been navigating these waters from Moorehead to Inner Cape Fear river (Lock and Dam 3) Since 2005 (USMC Small Craft). Its an amazing area to live and visit. My personal opinion is take the time to cruise south because the water and beaches are nicer. However North of the Turkeys foot has a few spots to beach up. I wouldnt reccomend shooting the inlet without someone thats done it, or just watch the locals for a while. The markers are never correct around the inlets. From May to Sept I am on the water around here at least 4 days a week! Love living here, can't say that enough!

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I live in Surf City, and Have been navigating these waters from Moorehead to Inner Cape Fear river (Lock and Dam 3) Since 2005 (USMC Small Craft). Its an amazing area to live and visit. My personal opinion is take the time to cruise south because the water and beaches are nicer. However North of the Turkeys foot has a few spots to beach up. I wouldnt reccomend shooting the inlet without someone thats done it, or just watch the locals for a while. The markers are never correct around the inlets. From May to Sept I am on the water around here at least 4 days a week! Love living here, can't say that enough!
Where do you normally put your boat in? At the park in Surf City? I've yet to try that ramp.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where do you normally put your boat in? At the park in Surf City? I've yet to try that ramp.
Yes I have put in there a few times with my buddy's boat. Its a very large ramp and easy to maneuver. but parking is a premium. At the height of the season you have to get there early or get lucky! LOL
The neighborhood I live in has a private ramp right on the ICW, I use that with my boat.
I don't have FB, but feel free to PM me and we can meet up at Lea island and have some beers!

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Yes I have put in there a few times with my buddy's boat. Its a very large ramp and easy to maneuver. but parking is a premium. At the height of the season you have to get there early or get lucky! LOL
The neighborhood I live in has a private ramp right on the ICW, I use that with my boat.
I don't have FB, but feel free to PM me and we can meet up at Lea island and have some beers!
Yeah man.... there is a few of us around here and we have been talking about a meet-up this season. We were looking at homes in Old Point, but decided to get a new build. Sometimes I wish we did get one in Old Point for the community ramp.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah man.... there is a few of us around here and we have been talking about a meet-up this season. We were looking at homes in Old Point, but decided to get a new build. Sometimes I wish we did get one in Old Point for the community ramp.
Yea I live in Kings Harbor, Holly ridge technically. Id be down for a meet up, I have a lot of boating buddy's in the area that are not on here. One has a Sick yellow and Black Scarab 255OID

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks Captain, When you say shoot the inlet do you mean heading out into the ocean? I'm not interested in that, I was thinking about crossing through it and maybe beaching north of it somewhere. Now, I do also plan on heading south to Lee and Ashe. ;)

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks Captain, When you say shoot the inlet do you mean heading out into the ocean? I'm not interested in that, I was thinking about crossing through it and maybe beaching north of it somewhere. Now, I do also plan on heading south to Lee and Ashe. ;)
Yea head out to the ocean. You have to cross the inlet at lea island but it’s easy. New river won’t be an issue. No need to cross really.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The boat sleeps closer to Jordan so we're probably 80/20 between Jordan/Harris. Mostly we go to Harris when the water level on Jordan is too high.
Ah, roger! We do the same. We used to do Jordan on Sat and Harris on Sunday cause it's closer. Now the ramps at Harris are nutso. Same with Jordan, but easier to navigate with them being so large.

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ah, roger! We do the same. We used to do Jordan on Sat and Harris on Sunday cause it's closer. Now the ramps at Harris are nutso. Same with Jordan, but easier to navigate with them being so large.
Yeah, most ramps have been a clown show since last year... it would help if Jordan re-opens the Ebeneezer ramp, maybe for this season?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah, most ramps have been a clown show since last year... it would help if Jordan re-opens the Ebeneezer ramp, maybe for this season?
I think I read it's supposed to be open here soon. So all the ramps should be running at full capacity this summer. Not sure that's a good thing. LOL! Well maybe it'll make Harris go back to being usable again.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Watching this..... haven’t been to Topsail area. Our family enjoyed Charleston and the IC and river runs last fall. A really cool experience.

I need to get the batteries in my boat and get her on the water!

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Weather isn't great at Topsail Beach but keeping our fingers crossed for the rest of the week..16169420856868115384692232254843.jpg

Last edited: