• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Leak in engine compartment

Mike Gilmore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi guys, 232 Limited HO here. While on the water today, my wife and I hit a few wakes at speed (nothing too bad), but I slowed down. Once they passed, we accelerated but there was an odd sound - similar to cavitation when debris is caught in the impeller--but slightly different. We slowed to speed above idle and I noticed the bilge pump activate. Only problem: it kept running--far longer than it should have and both engines sounded 'rough'. I opened the engine compartment and saw that water was coming in from under the black metal collar between the engine and the jet. It entered in proportion to the engine speed--as we accelerated, more water came in. It appeared as though there was a leak or a connector had failed. And, it was happening to both engines simultaneously! We hailed a passing boat and got towed home. Any thoughts? I can upload a video of the problem if needed. - Mike

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A picture with the area marked or the video would help greatly,

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mike, are you sure that you did not partially blow out a clean out plug? That could cause water to enter the bilge which would come into the engine compartment.

Alternately you might have had a failure of the seal around the jet drive shafts but it seems unlikely that both would fail at the same time.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum, @Mike Gilmore
Sounds like classic symptoms of a blown clean out plug. Buy a set of EZ-Locks. When properly used they will prevent blow outs from potentially becoming big problems.
How deep did the water get in the engine bay? If it just went as far as covering the oil filters you shouldn't have any problem. Was this salt water or fresh water?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only had a clean out plug come out and when that thing blew I thought an explosion went off. The door flew open and water went flying in the air. Won't ever make that mistake again

Mike Gilmore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Found the problem: it was a clean out plug blowout. Never even occurred to me this was the cause due to the distance between the plug and the area where the water was entering the engine compartment--they seemed miles apart. I was able to remove the plug, and, as several here have mentioned, the plug was enlarged/corroded. I guess I'll need to replace them. Thanks for responding to the OP and for the advice, guys.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had to use a car jack to remove mine when I bought it. Then I cleaned and sanded down the plug til it fit like it should. That was 7 years ago. Never had a problem since.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Mike Gilmore It looks like you've figured it out by now. That's great. Glad that it was a simple fix.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I opened the engine compartment and saw that water was coming in from under the black metal collar between the engine and the jet.
Mike,
I to would have thought this was a plug blowout issue except the fact that you said water was coming in under the black metal collar inside the engine compartment,
You may have more than one issue now as a dislodged plug could take it's tube off the mount and pump water into your bilge, it should not send water past that seal,
I would water test it and monitor it closely the next few times out.

Be sure to look at our FAQ tab at the top of the page for lots of great info, especially about some EZ locks and you may want to look at your oil cooler to make sure it's been upgraded or that the suspect bolt is still intact.