• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Leaving boat in water

Gthunter5

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Come back from being on the local hunting forums all winter and I guess a little cabin fever goin on around here....haha

Anyhow. I'll probably wet slip this year. I know this has been discussed before

Do you unlock clean out plug when wet slipping?
And I hear it's safe to leave the bilge switch in the "on" position?
Any other things I should do before I get a boat lift?

Ps. Boat is ar190

Thanks

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will you have power at the slip? If so you will want to connect a battery charger to your battery.

Pull the plugs between uses to preserve them or plan to rebuild them more frequently.

The bilge pump does not run unless water is present but it kicks on periodically to test if water is present. I have not left mine running without a charge for more than three or four days at a time. Hopefully others will be able to comment about how long you can leave the bilge pump on without running down the battery. I certainly would want to leave it on.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can leave in the water but should have shore power connected if leaving in the water for any substantial period of time like over a week. Taking the plugs out is a good idea. You should rinse them off after every use to make sure crud and buildup does not lock them in place over time. Also if the boat is in salt water, you don't want to leave it in the water all the time. It really needs to be on a lift so you can flush the motors properly.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I was looking to buy my SX190, all the reseach on the forums pointed to not wet slipping unless you had a lift. Dealer recommended against it also.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The stock battery in my boat will run between 2-3 weeks before going dead powering the bilge. Your results will vary depending on how much rain you have, if you have any other battery drains (like stereo presets etc).

You ABSOLUTELY DO want to leave the bilge on! Ideally you'd have shore power to a charger on board.

Depending on where you are, be prepared for your boat to slow down the longer it has been in the water and the more stuff that grows on it!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have mine in a wet slip all year. During the winter I have a trickle charger for each battery. I still take her out every 4 to 6 weeks and she is always good to go!! The plugs are a different story. I hate the plugs, they never go in or out very easily. I have cleaned them and at first I pulled them out every time. Where I boat I don't have any weeds or anything to get caught up in the impeller so now I just keep the plugs in. I do take them out when I detail the boat (twice a year). I have about the same amount of pain twice a year as I did twice a week. For me this works out. I do have the tru-locks just to make sure they don't blow. I have never had that happen but I was worried it might. I know a lot of people disagree about the plugs but for me this works best.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I had the dealer install a float switch on my bilge pump so I dont have to worry about water building up.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This will be my 5th season wet slipping. Don't tie the boat too tightly to the dock or you will get bumper rash. Do take the kill switch lanyard out and hook it to the loop for the cleanout plug tethers before pulling the cleanout plugs and putting them across the manholes. Do leave your bilge pump on and it is a good idea to add a battery charger to keep it on. Do plan extra time for cleaning off spider webs, hornets nests etc. ahead of everyone else meeting you at the boat.

Wet slipping is awesome. You just jump on your boat and drive away vs. having to finagle the launching and recovery. You will probably end up acid washing your boat every fall but 1-2 hours of that beats 1-2 hours of putting it back on the trailer, cleaning and then prepping it to go back out every time. :)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wet slip in the season. Leave the boat in with the bilge on( drive with it on as well). Use a solar charger to keep the battery up. In the lake I'm in I can leave her in for a couple of months at a time in the spring and early summer with just a little mud line to sponge off and brush the bottom with a long handle soft brush. In July I can get away with two maybe three weeks then have to pull out and wash and park. Come August..I pull out every week. We have some bad ass "Spider Algae" that takes a bit of scrubbing if I go an extra week and gets " full carpet" if I get lazy and leave it for three weeks. Geez us. We use Starbrite hull cleaner. Knocks it right off.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As mentioned above I keep mine wet slipped. The slip is covered which helps a lot. I do clean and detail the boat twice a year but the hull is pretty easy to clean. I also wipe it down almost every time we take it out. The spiders can be a real pain. I do spray for spiders which helps and when they get bad I just put the cover over her. That keeps the boat clean. During the winter an spring (pollen) I have the cover on as well. We love the wet slip and being able to just jump aboard and go winter or summer.

primedoc

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I looked at a used 232 last Fall that was only 2 years old and the guy was selling because it had surface blistering all over the gelcoat. He said the dealer told him it was from keeping it in the water. The lake is Tellico Lake where Yamaha's are made. No idea if there is any validity to the story. The guy didn't seem to know anything about a boat. It seems to me that these boats or really any boat SHOULD be able to withstand wet slipping for years without any damage to the gelcoat that a wash and wax wouldn't fix. Am I wrong about this guys?

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I don't buy that the bubbles are from wet slipping. Many large boats never leave the water and do just fine. I have always wet slipped and have never had any bubbling (YET) but I do have to use some elbow grease to clean it up at the end of the year. I think wet slipping is worth every minute of elbow grease that it cost me. I get much more use out of my boat simply because it is very easy to get in and go for a ride at any time I want to without having to back it into the water and pull it out each time. I think to each his own though.

cyberlock

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
GT- you will absolutely use your boat more if it is kept on a slip and you do not like towing. For some launching is no big deal. If you have a cover and power you are good to go. Get to the boat 10 minutes before guests to get rid of spider webs ( i have not found any spray that keeps them away) and have a stiff drink if the mother-in-law is coming.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hull blisters are due to a manufacturing defect and not wet slipping. They should be covered under the 4 or 5 year fiberglass warranty.

Gthunter5

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I priced out lifts. Maybe next year on the lift. Profile pic is a buddies dock (best way to go!)

It will be nice to not have to trailer it

Thanks for the replies!