• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Let's discuss the SCOM Speed Control Override Module

Grayrage

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Heyas fellow boaters!

With TWO 300 HP motors, one would think a 255 ID could run better then 55 MPH, right? In fact, you would expect 600 hp to drive a relatively light 25' boat (it is lighter then most 25 boats) well into the 60s in stable water conditions. So what gives? Is there really some sort of GPS speed limiter? Is it really only set to 69 MPH so it does not effect the 255 anyhow? Does anyone KNOW anything about it? Is it limiting the engines in the interest of engine longevity or is it so that the boat can be sold in places like California that believe fun must be bad? If using the module does not effect the engine's endurance, then....well...I don't live in NY or California (thankfully) so I vote for FAST! In all seriousness, does anyone have any information about how this module might effect the Scarabs? Good and Bad please. Thanks!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The hull design along with many other factors of course. The hulls are apparently designed to help stabilize the boat at speed. But with that, extra drag is created (on purpose). As one of the major dealers in the USA says, he calls them "speed tabs". He also often refers to them as "hooks", a hull shape that creates stability and of course, drag.

This limits the speed of the boat in exchange for better handling.

Stern drive boats have the benefit of trim, etc. so they can avoid some of this in their designs. But it all depends on the boat brand, model, target clientele, etc.

There is no limiter in the GPS speedometer. But there is an RPM limit to avoid excessive damage.

And like all engines, the harder you run them, the more wear and tear they take. Whatever the best fuel efficiency is at for your boat, that's where the best compromises are made for wear vs. distance travelled. Not that they can't handle high RPMs for pretty long periods of time. But you are putting more pressure on the engine and parts. It's just the way it is.

Grayrage

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
I've heard the so called speed limiter also referred to as a "speed tab" but the way it was used is something like "once the speed tab is removed, the boat can do 65 mph". Pretty sure the design of the hull cannot be removed so not sure if the reference to a "speed tab" really is talking about hull design.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
It actually can be removed. But it requires sanding the hull to remove those "hooks". One guy did it on a 165 on Facebook. I forgot how much more speed he gained because of it. But I believe he hit 65mph on the 165. But the boat becomes a little unstable.

He also posted this about a 255.

1642289854495.png

Another guy did non hull related stuff and posted this:

1642289900878.png

So although the hull is an important factor, like I said before, there are other things you can do. The manufacturer makes decisions as to how the boat should perform. With any top speed, you lose something else. Some people like you love speed. Others prefer stability, fuel efficiency, hole shot, etc.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I was trying to find this one conversation between the dealer and this Ramses guy that does tons of mods. Found it. Talking about the "speed tabs".

1642290619770.png

Grayrage

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Thanks Luc, you are genius and answered it quite well for me :) I will not be sanding my hull nor compromising the stability of the boat for speed so it's a moot point here. Appreciate your patience and effort helping me understand.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I think you forgot quotes around the word "genius". haha