• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Lifejackets

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What type for Lifejackets do you keep on board. I have just the cheap ones from Gander Mountain and 4 old school orange ones around the neck type. Looking to upgrade to something better for the crossing to Bimini this year.

We currently have a selection of Type III vests that either suited our taste in color or needed size when we saw them in a local store as well as four or so Type II orange ones that we bring out if we have more guests than vests.

Type I Life Jackets would be the best if someone ended up in the water on the Bimini trip. They should turn an unconscious wearer face-up and are designed to float for long periods of time. We are considering ordering Type Is for the kids or perhaps all four of us.

We would not use the Type Is for local lake activities. They would be for salt water use only as we prefer the look and feel of type IIIs.

These websites have good descriptions of the various types

http://www.pfdma.org/choosing/types.aspx
http://www.boatingsidekicks.com/lifejackets.htm
http://www.defender.com/life-jacket.jsp

For the Atlantic I would have type I. If something were to happen and you had to spend hours in the water, the type I will be most comfortable and safe for an unconscious person. Sterns makes a nice jacket (I thinks its called crew mate or captain jacket) in the type I that is a full surround jacket -- keeps you warm also.

I bought my wife the Liquid Force Womens Melody Neoprene vest and she loves it. I'm not crazy about the 2014 colors on it. Last years model was great.
http://www.bartswatersports.com/cat...Force_Womens_Melody_Neo_Vest_LD4V55/index.asp

I bought the Hyperlite Mens hatch. I like it a lot, sometimes the front rides up a little high but it is super comfy and super flexible which allows me to do 720 mctwists and tantrums with ease. :winkingthumbsup"
http://www.bartswatersports.com/cat...rlite_Mens_Hatch_SE_Neo_Vest_HH3V56/index.asp

For the kids we usually go to walmart whenever they grow out of their current neoprene vest and get them fitted for a new one. For newbies with no vests I have an assortment of obrien neoprene vests and a couple of basic vests that fit a larger variety of people. I don't store the vests in the boat as they usually need to hang on the garage wall to dry and only pack the vests I'm going to need for the trip depending on who's going.

I've read that costco and sams club have some good vests.

If you go with a fancy vest like I did for my wife and myself, make sure it is US coast guard certified (USCG) as many of the specialized water sport vests are not.

We got our daily use ones from Costco. Previous owner left 4 "block" vests but mainly we buy kids ones that make them float on their backs.

+1 on the Costco route, we bought a couple there this spring and I think they are pretty good vests for the price (zippered front, buckled, neoprene). I think they were like $45, we'll see how they fair over the season. Figured these would be the surf/ski/tube vests for adults.

The other adult sized ones I have are just a 4 pack of vest-style ones for extras 'just in case', I think I got that pack for like $60 @ Fleet Farm.

I found the cheapest ones I could get just to have on board to meet the requirements were the 4 pack of orange ones from Academy Sports for like 24 bucks. Comes with a case too.

We use a few of the ones from Costco for tubing and regular use. They are great.

We use neoprene ones due to the fit comfort. A couple of the nicer ones are not rated as a true PFD. Our boat came with a complement of full-on life jackets so we keep those behind the helm for emergencies and check stops. Cam.

We like the neoprenes the best and have a large selection of sizes and styles of life jackets.

Neoprene ones in sizes from infant to xxl. Probably over a dozen on board. We just keep adding to the collection as the kids grow older.

We buy the neoprene jackets from Sams Club. Nice life jackets for the price.

:winkingthumbsup".... @beachbum....just about spit my coffee out on that one!!

Back