• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Limp Mode Help

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Was out on the lake today for the first longer run on my new Scarab. Was riding for about 10 minutes or so and then I started getting low oil pressure readings. It went away so we kept riding, and then came back again. As we were trying to get back to shore it reduced engine performance and can't go above idle, so its basically in limp mode I am guessing. I have the part I need to replace which I think is causing the issues. My question is how do I reset it after I install the new part to get it out of limp mode?

Just got it back to the house to clean her out and now it won't even start? Any help will be appreciated.

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Scratch that, it starts. Would help if I made sure it was in the neutral position..... Just won't go above 3000-4000 RPM's.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Alex L Sounds like you need to reset your computer. Turn the ignition on. Hold JUST the set button in for 30 seconds. Release the button then tun ignition off. Turn on and start motor.

Always make sure you let the gauges completely sweep before you start the boat. The computer needs to get all the systems checked and ready to start. This is especially if you used docking mode or ski mode before you shut the boat down.

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@ScarabMike, just tried that...No luck. I tired it with the battery on, and off. Still limits me at 4000 rpm's.

Any other ideas? I appreciate your insight. Trying to avoid the dealer at all costs lol.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only other thing I can think of is a loose sensor or intercooler hose. Open the engine bay, start looking near the air filter, and tug and squeeze all of the large rubber hoses that connect to the intercooler.

Have you checked the oil level? Remember its a dry sump, so you need to run the engine for a minute, then check the levels. Also check the coil pack's connection to the spark plugs. Make sure none of the coil pack are loose. They should be tight. I had a friend that had loose coil packs, and it limited his RPMs too.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That is a fact!! Funny how things come loose like that....

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
With limp home limitation on. you must have an active fault in the system.
Do you see any PCode in the cluster Fault Code menu?
Are any of the warning iCon, "Oil, Temp, Engine" lit on the cluster analog section?
Any scrolling message in the cluster infocenter section?

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Okay, so I checked all those hoses, no issue there. Coil packs are tight and secure. Oil level was checked out on the water after it was being ran and was within range. I also started her up for a minute and checked again, seems good.

There are currently no codes reading on the display console. The only code that flashed up while I had it out last time was the "low oil pressure". I am replacing the Vent Valve (Blow-by Valve), BRP SeaDoo# 420856506, which I am positive is causing the low oil pressure. That is going to get done this evening. The plastic assembly was cracked by the previous owner and missing the spring.

My question is now once I replace that, will the computer notice the change and automatically take itself out of limp mode? The thing I don't get is that the boat ran fine for 30 minutes or so before any low oil pressure lights came up. Why did it take so long for it to go into limp mode? Only thought I had was maybe there is a threshold of number of times a fault must come up before it goes into limp mode?

Appreciate the feedback. Praying that it will not need a trip to the dealer since the dealer at the beach does not have any time this week to get me in due to the holiday.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't own a new boat with all of the modern electronics but from reading this thread it sure does seem like the system is overly complicated in the scarabs if you have to reset it because you didn't let the diagnostics complete before turning the engine on. That kind of thing would scare me away from "upgrading" to such a boat.

Anyway, good luck with getting this resolved quickly and as In expensively as possible.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Losing the spring in the blow-by valve, which can only occurs if someone split the valve apart, should not create a low oil pressure situation. The part is only a breather that act as a roll-0ver oil valve in case you flip your boat (PWC design).
I find it very odd that you have something referred as limp home but don't have any fault warning indication.

Limp home conditions only occur when specific fault (Low oil, Engine coolant high, Exhaust Muffler Temp high, low battery voltage) become Active, but for each one a dedicated warning iCon and a fault code should be displayed in the cluster.
Limp home condition should automatically go away when the Fault is no longer Active, no need to bring boat to a dealer to clear a limp home. The check engine may stay on as it needs 3 consecutive good clean driving cycles without the fault Active. Similar to automotive OBDII.

Connecting the boat to Dealers BUDS diagnostic tool would definitely tell you a good bit, but not necessary.

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hmm. Interesting. None of the above faults you mentioned did come up besides low oil pressure. If the oil level was low, would a fault be displayed that says "Oil level low" or would that come under the "Low oil pressure" fault? I checked the oil level and it was fine. I might try to ad a little bit more and see if that does the trick.

The battery is also brand new, so I don't think it would be the voltage, but I will double check that.

But like you said, I am kind of stumped being that there are no fault codes on the display or nothing it lit up on the display console.

The only other thing that I would think of is that the coolant reservoir nipple on the top of the reservoir appears to be bent...You think that could do it? Maybe it is making the computer think that the coolant level is high if there is resistance in the coolant line?

Also would a seadoo dealer be able to connect to the engines computer and tell me what the issue is or does it have to be a scarab dealer? Only reason I ask is if it comes down to this, I have one that's local vs. a scarab dealer is a little ways away..

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any Seadoo dealer can read the BRP codes and reset them.

Could be a bad oil pressure sensor. I've had plenty of them over the years.

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Okay I'm thinking I might have to try that if I cant find a solution tonight. Will they still be able to tell what the issue is even if there are no fault lights lit up on the display console?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, they have a flow chart to follow for possibilities. The buds software normally finds the issue straight away.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
There is nothing that would tell oil level, as the sensor is a pressure sensor therefore fault would be "Low Oil Pressure"
I suspect you may have a stuck open oil pressure switch, but again there should be a Fault & warning icon associated witht he Limp home condition.
BTW from what I heard Rotax Powerpack use a slightly different BUDS diagnostic version than BRP Sea-Doo dealer, therefore your local Sea-Doo dealer may not be able to communicate with your Scarab boat.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is nothing that would tell oil level, as the sensor is a pressure sensor therefore fault would be "Low Oil Pressure"
I suspect you may have a stuck open oil pressure switch, but again there should be a Fault & warning icon associated witht he Limp home condition.
BTW from what I heard Rotax Powerpack use a slightly different BUDS diagnostic version than BRP Sea-Doo dealer, therefore your local Sea-Doo dealer may not be able to communicate with your Scarab boat.
If that's true about Seadoo dealers not able to read the engines, that confirms my opinion to stay away from Scarab. These phantom sensor failures and valid engine codes plagued all of my seadoo pwc's. Now if you are limited to a scarab dealer.....geesh!

Let us know what happens if you go to a Seadoo dealer. Good luck and I hope you get on the water soon.....I feel your pain.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buds just got a new release. They can see all codes of any BRP powerplant. Also, the CANDO Pro works flawlessly on the Scarab as well.

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
okay guys. Just go done doing some trouble shooting. I was now able to get a fault code. Code P0524 - which seems to be low oil pressure.

I did ad some oil to the engine and ran it for a little thinking it may correct itself. It did not. Anyone have any ideas??

Im thinking about taking it to my local seadoo/can-am dealer to see if they can clear the code and test whether it will come back. Greatly appreciate all of you guys feedback in this pain staking process lol.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Talk to your Seadoo dealer unless you can swap the oil pressure sensor yourself. Part cost is about $35.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's the odds the oil pump is bad? After that much work and it still consistantly says oil.pressure I would almost be afraid to run it... I agree that the sensor is far more likely but I'd the sensor is correct and there really is low oil pressure running it could be bad on you motor! Like.... real bad!