• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Listen up SVHO engine owners...

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Forgive me in advance if this topic has been discussed previously however I’d like to share best practice based on my experience w this engine/drivetrain so humor me if you will. Bottom line, if you don’t already have one, I would suggest you invest in an oil catch can/breather and here’s why. Start w the basics on how your PCV works and why this is relevant (I know most of you know how these engines work but try to hear me out). The pressure control valve or PCV regulates and maintains positive air pressure throughout the combustion process. That said your PCV valve is a hose running from your engine’s crank case mated to your intake line just after the box that holds your stock air filter. This hose acts to circulate the spent, charged air along w any gases/oil vapor from your engine post-detonation back through the intake. This function also acts to reduce the effects of blow-by on forced induction applications such as the SVHO engine. For more info on blow-by feel free to google although full-disclaimer, performing a google image search on “blow by” could potentially yield some more questionable results. That said, these motors pound-for-pound create a substantial amount of boost from the factory, approx 11-12 lbs depending on the application. The SVHO motor is used heavily in the racing world for this reason since it can be easily upgraded with minimal effort and as a result, simply performing a ribbon delete and outfitting w a CAI or a tune can raise the output of this supercharger by upwards of 3-5psi, no small sum. Suffice to say that if don’t already have either a breather or some sort of catch can/oil filter apparatus installed, you should seriously consider it. Any FI or modified application especially those w a ribbon delete/CAI/tune, etc. will be sending more oil through your intercooler/MAF/intake, coating your internals in a layer of film and at the very least your engine will retain more heat and perform at a less-than-optimal output. Worst case, you’ll spend more time at the dealer down the road. I encourage all of you to take a moment and get educated on this power-robbing phenomenon and blow-by and then spend the $30 for a universal catch can on Amazon (in case you thought you had to purchase the $130 Sea Doo iteration from a certain marine reseller and adapt this to your Yamaha). I can assure you your engine will last longer and you’ll be out of the shop and on the water more with this very easy to install mod. Hopefully this helps and feel free to reach out if you have questions. Cheers gents and ladies!

-Anthony

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think we've hear of anyone putting a catch can in,

how often do you plan on checking/dumping it ?

let us know how much it collects,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Forgive me in advance if this topic has been discussed previously however I’d like to share best practice based on my experience w this engine/drivetrain so humor me if you will. Bottom line, if you don’t already have one, I would suggest you invest in an oil catch can/breather and here’s why. Start w the basics on how your PCV works and why this is relevant (I know most of you know how these engines work but try to hear me out). The pressure control valve or PCV regulates and maintains positive air pressure throughout the combustion process. That said your PCV valve is a hose running from your engine’s crank case mated to your intake line just after the box that holds your stock air filter. This hose acts to circulate the spent, charged air along w any gases/oil vapor from your engine post-detonation back through the intake. This function also acts to reduce the effects of blow-by on forced induction applications such as the SVHO engine. For more info on blow-by feel free to google although full-disclaimer, performing a google image search on “blow by” could potentially yield some more questionable results.

That said, these motors pound-for-pound create a substantial amount of boost from the factory, approx 11-12 lbs depending on the application. The SVHO motor is used heavily in the racing world for this reason since it can be easily upgraded with minimal effort and as a result, simply performing a ribbon delete and outfitting w a CAI or a tune can raise the output of this supercharger by upwards of 3-5psi, no small sum. Suffice to say that if don’t already have either a breather or some sort of catch can/oil filter apparatus installed, you should seriously consider it. Any FI or modified application especially those w a ribbon delete/CAI/tune, etc. will be sending more oil through your intercooler/MAF/intake, coating your internals in a layer of film and at the very least your engine will retain more heat and perform at a less-than-optimal output.

Worst case, you’ll spend more time at the dealer down the road. I encourage all of you to take a moment and get educated on this power-robbing phenomenon and blow-by and then spend the $30 for a universal catch can on Amazon (in case you thought you had to purchase the $130 Sea Doo iteration from a certain marine reseller and adapt this to your Yamaha). I can assure you your engine will last longer and you’ll be out of the shop and on the water more with this very easy to install mod. Hopefully this helps and feel free to reach out if you have questions. Cheers gents and ladies!

-Anthony
How about a link to the item you recommend? Any install photos or directions?

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think we've hear of anyone putting a catch can in,

how often do you plan on checking/dumping it ?

let us know how much it collects,
Scott, thanks for your question. The amount of oil will vary based on how much you use the boat/how much load that is placed on it as well as boost etc. The Sea Doo variant comes w a transparent collection unit so you can see how much oil is in there whereas aluminum ones usually come w a dipstick or other gauge to tell when to empty it. Make no mistake your catch can will eventually fill up it just comes down to the aforementioned factors as to how quickly. You can dump this oil right back into the crank case OR you can dump it entirely and replace with clean oil to keep your engine running that much better. Personally I do the former so I know when it’s time to change the oil and filter.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Personally I do the former so I know when it’s time to change the oil and filter.
Did you mean the latter? If not, how does dumping the oil caught into the crank case help you know when its time to change the oil?

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How about a link to the item you recommend? Any install photos or directions?
Again, full disclaimer that any catch can is as good as another so here’s an example of a generic that just so happens to be the one I use:

Now the “Sea Doo” iteration from a well-known reseller:

Both perform the same function and it will surprise you how quickly the oil adds up on these SC engines.

Let me know if you have any other questions Sir.

-Anthony

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you mean the latter? If not, how does dumping the oil caught into the crank case help you know when its time to change the oil?
Apologies...multitasking. Confirming, I would recommend that when the unit fills up with oil that you dump this back into the engine rather than replace w new oil. This way you’re still changing your oil/filter at the prescribed intervals rather than being tempted to over-extend the life of the filter based on the cleaner oil you’re putting in.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
While I'd prefer a catch can, the issue is that any modern boat with this is defeating the USCG approvals and federal law but I'm sure you know that.

cdjeeps25

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Apologies...multitasking. Confirming, I would recommend that when the unit fills up with oil that you dump this back into the engine rather than replace w new oil. This way you’re still changing your oil/filter at the prescribed intervals rather than being tempted to over-extend the life of the filter based on the cleaner oil you’re putting in.
From what I've seen in diesel/automotive applications the stuff the catch can catches is pretty nasty. I wouldn't put it back in the engine. And the blow by that the engine is creating is running through the intake and most likely going through the combustion process, not returning to the oil. So, in my mind you're already losing a little bit of oil due to blow by, so just maintaining your oil level with new oil seems like it would be more ideal.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
While I'd prefer a catch can, the issue is that any modern boat with this is defeating the USCG approvals and federal law but I'm sure you know that.
Does USCG mandate that oil emissions must go back into engine? Wonder if a breather tube would be similar.

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does USCG mandate that oil emissions must go back into engine? Wonder if a breather tube would be similar.
If they did Riva’s and other kits that terminate at the breather itself would probably have to come with a disclaimer I would imagine. Bottom line the catch can fixes the issue and works like a boss catching all sorts of nastiness lending only clean air to the intake.

Attachments

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Respectfully disagree w this logic since the oil catch can recirculates the combusted air and fuel vapors, separating only the oil/unburned fuel rather than reintroducing these to the combustion process. The contaminated oil /gunk can then be disposed of legally as with any other used oil, at your local auto parts store, thus satisfying EPA requirements for disposal. Sorry but I’m not swayed.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Respectfully disagree w this logic since the oil catch can recirculates the combusted air and fuel vapors, separating only the oil/unburned fuel rather than reintroducing these to the combustion process. The contaminated oil /gunk can then be disposed of legally as with any other used oil, at your local auto parts store, thus satisfying EPA requirements for disposal. Sorry but I’m not swayed.
That's fine...clearly you don't know the EPA & USGC laws.

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's fine...clearly you don't know the EPA & USGC laws.
Show me the law that prohibits the collection of spent oil post-combustion for proper disposal at an authorized drop off location and you can have all the wins my friend. :)

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Show me the law that prohibits the collection of spent oil post-combustion for proper disposal at an authorized drop off location and you can have all the wins my friend. :)
Any modified emissions product is no longer legal. Do as you wish!

1kennymc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they did Riva’s and other kits that terminate at the breather itself would probably have to come with a disclaimer I would imagine. Bottom line the catch can fixes the issue and works like a boss catching all sorts of nastiness lending only clean air to the intake.
Would you show me where i should mount the oil catch can please which pipe thanks

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would you show me where i should mount the oil catch can please which pipe thanks
Yeah bro. If you already have a K&N or aftermarket conical air filter, the easiest place to mount it is in place of the stock air box on the front right side of the engine as illustrated in the attached photo. It is very easy to drill the holes through into the battery compartment area. From there I just ran a heavy duty zip tie through the mounting holes on the oil extractor and through to the other side, works like a champ. If you still have your stock air filter/box, you can position it behind the fuel hose at the back right, you’ll just need to run a longer hose back to your air intake. You’ll use the stock PCV hose running up from the crank case up to the oil extractor “In” port and then you’ll run another hose to your stock intake arm which as you can see I’m still using in my photos. Shoot me a message if you need more photos/instructions etc and I’d be glad to help you out.

Attachments

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Additionally you can find the 5/8 inch marine or automotive pipe (the automotive variant is a little stiffer but still works fine) at your local auto parts store. They will cut it as long as you want it so I would suggest getting a few extra inches in length as you can trim this down to the exact length you need once you get in in there.

1kennymc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah bro. If you already have a K&N or aftermarket conical air filter, the easiest place to mount it is in place of the stock air box on the front right side of the engine as illustrated in the attached photo. It is very easy to drill the holes through into the battery compartment area. From there I just ran a heavy duty zip tie through the mounting holes on the oil extractor and through to the other side, works like a champ. If you still have your stock air filter/box, you can position it behind the fuel hose at the back right, you’ll just need to run a longer hose back to your air intake. You’ll use the stock PCV hose running up from the crank case up to the oil extractor “In” port and then you’ll run another hose to your stock intake arm which as you can see I’m still using in my photos. Shoot me a message if you need more photos/instructions etc and I’d be glad to help you out.
Thank you i run the stock configuration and dont have a clue between what hose i need to put this catch can with mounting i am ok i will find a place just show me exactly which hose i have to use please