• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at an 2014 AR192 This Weekend

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have been riding Yamaha Superjets for years and i'm looking at my first boat this weekend. I decided on the 19ft boat because i'm a renter so it's likely that I will be paying for storage and docking. I was already approved for 5% apr so maybe my Superjet will be for sale and I can decide how much I want to finance. My friends think I should buy a house and have been giving me criticism "you are having a 1/4 life crisis", but as a single guy in my 20's, i'm convinced that buying a house in Long Island is a terrible idea in the next few years. Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and ask a few questions:

1. Is 5% apr good for 6 years? Maybe I can get lower?
2. Is there anything I should look out for when I see the boat? Typical issues?

Thank you.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Buy the boat! Live it up. I bought a Porsche (used of course) in my mid 20's and even though I only kept it for a few years, I have never regretted that move even though it wasn't a "smart" financial decision. As long as you are cool with the expense of ownership, the biggest problem you are going to have with a boat is not having enough room for more women on the boat, and that is a great problem for a single guy to have.

Th dealer will likely not budge on the purchase price, but make them throw in the extras like an anchor, life jackets, and the Yamaha mooring cover is a must have. At the very least, they should sell you those items at cost.

Try to see if you can get a couple different financial institutions to compete for rates. take one rate to the next bank and see if they will beat it. Back when I bought mine Yamaha was offering 2.99% through Synchrony bank for up to 15 years. Rates are a little higher now, but I feel like you should be able to do better than 5% if you have good credit.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Buy the boat! Live it up. I bought a Porsche (used of course) in my mid 20's and even though I only kept it for a few years, I have never regretted that move even though it wasn't a "smart" financial decision. As long as you are cool with the expense of ownership, the biggest problem you are going to have with a boat is not having enough room for more women on the boat, and that is a great problem for a single guy to have.

Th dealer will likely not budge on the purchase price, but make them throw in the extras like an anchor, life jackets, and the Yamaha mooring cover is a must have. At the very least, they should sell you those items at cost.

Try to see if you can get a couple different financial institutions to compete for rates. take one rate to the next bank and see if they will beat it. Back when I bought mine Yamaha was offering 2.99% through Synchrony bank for up to 15 years. Rates are a little higher now, but I feel like you should be able to do better than 5% if you have good credit.
There are 2 available - one is at a dealer and the other is privately sold. Both same year, color, price, and hours. I'm going to see the privately sold one on Saturday and he has quite a few extras.

From my research I think 4.25% is the absolute lowest rate that I can get for a pre-owned boat. My credit score is 780.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There are 2 available - one is at a dealer and the other is privately sold. Both same year, color, price, and hours. I'm going to see the privately sold one on Saturday and he has quite a few extras.

From my research I think 4.25% is the absolute lowest rate that I can get for a pre-owned boat. My credit score is 780.
Ah, I just realized you were looking at used boats, so yeah, you'll suffer a little bit more on interest rates, but probably be way better off with tax and overall price. How many hours are on each one?

One thing to be aware of on the 2014 and earliermodels is there have been several people with timing chain issues that required engine replacement when the chain failed. I believe this was corrected with a beefier timing chain on the 2015 models. I think the odds of it happening are pretty rare, but there is really no way of knowing until it is too late. If you search timing chain failures you should find a few threads on it and I would verify in what model year it was fixed if you are concerned about it. If you find an option for a newer model, I would lean that direction to be safe, but it is unlikely that you will have problems.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The best we can tell, engines with production date stamp of 7/2015 and later have the newer TC and accessories.

That said, the odds of having one break in a boat are still very small. By any account we know of it is less than 1% (in boats) albeit might be higher in a supercharged 1.8 but probably not. The thinking is that constant breaking water surface/catching air and dramatic load changes in the pump typically associated with riding jet skis are the reason for TC breakage, therefore prevalent in SC skis (as opposed to boats where getting air is possible but is typically not the norm).

Personally, I would not be too worried, and I would purchase a 190/192 with the old TC if I was in the market and found a nice well kept boat for good price.

--

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The boat at the dealer has 80 hours and the privately owned boat has 97 hours.
The timing chain does make me a little nervous because it can be choppy here in Long Island so the pump is constantly loaded and unloaded.
I remember my Yamaha R6 had a few anomalies that lost a timing chain. Also a Ducati that was known for a swelling gas tank - both repairs being very expensive.
I suppose most powersports have anomalies of expensive repairs, but it still doesn't give me ease of mind. However, I was an automotive mechanic some time ago so I can do all repairs by myself.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If it helps, @SamCF has his boat doing 60mph with a few mods and tunes and to my knowledge, he has not had any issues with a chain break. I would be very curious what kind of hp/torque he has his engine up to. And like @swatski said, it's a 1% occurrence or less. I just wanted to let you know so if something did happen, you won't hate us for not mentioning it. I know there have been at least a few people who have gotten Yamaha to cover the repair even out of warranty too.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
If I were buying used, I would look for a newer 195. I've seen them as low as $27k. To me, the 192 would need to be $22k or less to be comparable.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Both boats are asking for $20k. I'm thinking that if I get the price well below market then it's a good gamble on the motor.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Both boats are asking for $20k. I'm thinking that if I get the price well below market then it's a good gamble on the motor.
That's a really good price, and won't depreciate very fast from there.

Water test the boat before purchase. If there are hidden issues with the jet pump or engine, it will most likely be evident during a water test.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's a really good price, and won't depreciate very fast from there.

Water test the boat before purchase. If there are hidden issues with the jet pump or engine, it will most likely be evident during a water test.
Probably the depreciation will come in the form of me putting a new motor in it. haha

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far Yamaha has stepped up and repaired any broken timing chains.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep. In or out of warranty.

--

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Okay i'm not going to let it deter me from buying the boat if I can get a good deal. I considered the worst case scenario and I don't think it should cost me more than $2500 in a catastrophic event.

$1500 for 2016+ chain conversion kit
$675 for piston set
$30-$40 per OEM valve

this is considering a surviving cylinder head and block.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay i'm not going to let it deter me from buying the boat if I can get a good deal. I considered the worst case scenario and I don't think it should cost me more than $2500 in a catastrophic event.

$1500 for 2016+ chain conversion kit
$675 for piston set
$30-$40 per OEM valve

this is considering a surviving cylinder head and block.
Those are interference engines that usually do not survive TC failure.Too much damage!
I do not know of many people doing the conversion as preventative maintenance.
I would buy it and run/enjoy. Stuff happens, but TC failure is not the only or the most frequent catastrophic event in the realm of possibilities...

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I own 2, 2014 fx ho cruisers 1800 non supercharged, One blew a chain with no warning at around 360 hours the other has 650 hours with no timing chain problems at all .
The repaired one now has 640 hours on it.
Obviously I do a lot of riding, only in salt water and wave jumping etc.
So I honestly think it was a batch of defective chains, just my opinion and I agree that I too have been told if the chain hatches out of warranty Yamaha will fix it. Just ask your local dealer if this is still the case.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would definitely look at both before committing and choose based upon condition. Saltwater or freshwater? My advice in regard to financing for any vehicle/boat when you are young is to make sure you put enough down so that you are not "upside down" and can sell it quickly and easily if need be due to life or job changes.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cash only. When it comes to buying boats.
Ymmv.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cash only. When it comes to buying boats.
Ymmv.

I use credit for everything because I find that it can be used for leverage. Responsible credit use is an art between keeping positive net worth, manageable payments, reducing interest fees, and leveraging savings. I'm crazy about careful planning through amortization calculators, and estimating depreciation.
I won't bore everyone with the numbers :)

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought the boat and winterized it yesterday. To get the water out, I revved the engine a few times, waited 20 minutes, and did it again. All while spraying fogging oil inside. I'm putting faith in Yamaha's manual that says nothing else is necessary.
Current plan is to get a 5-channel amplifier and a subwoofer. Maybe keep the factory speakers.