• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at buying an AR195s

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

I am new to the boating community. My wife and I have been saving to buy an AR195s and we have been scratching our heads at how we will store it. Most things I have seen are the 2 car garages. We only have a single car garage. Thoughts or concerns? We have several when it comes to storage. When our local dealer gets one in I will be all over it with a tape measure. Lol. Pic of floor plan attached. Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You'll be really close in that space. My '17 AR190 is 19'4" long and right at 8'0" wide. With a small mod it clears my 7'0" garage door opening with about 1/2in to spare.

You'll want ~100in wide x ~85in tall opening to get it in the space.

With your floor plan, I would expect that NE door to be barely usable since you'll have to scoot the boat to the east to get around the bump out at the bathroom. It will be pretty dang tight in that space, but SHOULD be possible.

*edit* I'll be home in the morning (and this evening). Let me know what measurements you want and I'll drag a tape out if you like.

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You'll be really close in that space. My '17 AR190 is 19'4" long and right at 8'0" wide. With a small mod it clears my 7'0" garage door opening with about 1/2in to spare.

You'll want ~100in wide x ~85in tall opening to get it in the space.

With your floor plan, I would expect that NE door to be barely usable since you'll have to scoot the boat to the east to get around the bump out at the bathroom. It will be pretty dang tight in that space, but SHOULD be possible.

*edit* I'll be home in the morning (and this evening). Let me know what measurements you want and I'll drag a tape out if you like.
Thank you so much! Is the boat as wide or wider than the trailer? What is the widest point on these boats? I have been looking at measurements online for these boats. I guess that’s the beam measurement? I’m out on vacation away from our home so I won’t be able to measure our garage until Saturday or Sunday this week.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you so much! Is the boat as wide or wider than the trailer? What is the widest point on these boats? I have been looking at measurements online for these boats. I guess that’s the beam measurement? I’m out on vacation away from our home so I won’t be able to measure our garage until Saturday or Sunday this week.
On mine, the widest part of the boat is right about where the tires sit on the trailer. The boat and trailer are both almost EXACTLY the same width here. The boat "flares out" over the top of the fenders. When I park mine AGAINST one wall. The rub rail is almost touching the wall, and the tire IS touching the wall. I get a picture tonight when I get home.

I would say both the trailer and the boat are right at 96in wide. Again, I'll measure when I get home to be certain.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
If you have a standard size single garage door it probably won't fit width wise. Also, 19'8" probably won't work either. There are usually braces on the garage door which would make the depth shallower as well. the boat on the trailer is 19'6". I had a double garage with 2 single doors. The boat would not fit width wise. I had to remove the center divider and get a double door.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My garage is 21'9" deep.

1609274578144.png

Here is how much space I have behind mine. I usually keep the folded tongue and point of the bow about 3-4in from the garage door.
1609274466922.png

Been trying to get the wife talked into letting me raise the header in mine. I think I'm close to being able to get a 212X in the garage if I had the extra height on the door.

Another thought or two:

I'm not sure what part of the country you're in, however storing outside isn't a huge ordeal if you aren't out west or deep south. I would have no problems with mine living outdoors in the summertime if it meant I could come/go a little easier. First season it took my almost an hour to get the boat in/out of the garage and prepped to go. I've gotten better/faster at it, as well as re-arranged the garage storage items so I can get us on the road in about 30-40min now if I hustle.

Also, what's in the garage now? If you're thinking for even a minute about kicking the wife and her car out of the garage, just go ahead and plan on storing offsite or in the driveway. That is a 100% non-negotiable for my wife anyway. She WILL NOT give up her spot in the garage on any sort of permanent basis. Make sure yours is OK with that as well before you take that space from her :D

Last edited:

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My garage is 21'9" deep.

View attachment 139362

Here is how much space I have behind mine. I usually keep the folded tongue and point of the bow about 3-4in from the garage door.
View attachment 139361

Been trying to get the wife talked into letting me raise the header in mine. I think I'm close to being able to get a 212X in the garage if I had the extra height on the door.

Another thought or two:

I'm not sure what part of the country you're in, however storing outside isn't a huge ordeal if you aren't out west or deep south. I would have no problems with mine living outdoors in the summertime if it meant I could come/go a little easier. First season it took my almost an hour to get the boat in/out of the garage and prepped to go. I've gotten better/faster at it, as well as re-arranged the garage storage items so I can get us on the road in about 30-40min now if I hustle.

Also, what's in the garage now? If you're thinking for even a minute about kicking the wife and her car out of the garage, just go ahead and plan on storing offsite or in the driveway. That is a 100% non-negotiable for my wife anyway. She WILL NOT give up her spot in the garage on any sort of permanent basis. Make sure yours is OK with that as well before you take that space from her :D
We don’t have anything in there at the moment. We both park outside. So it’s pretty empty actually. I can’t stand storing stuff we would never use. Im a bit of a minimalist I suppose. We have a hot water heater in there now in the back corner and some shelving that hangs from the wall that has all our gun cleaning kits on it and car lubricants. We live in NC. So it’s cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The lake is about 1 - 1 1/2 hour away for us. I was just thinking of saving us some money with not having to store it, but we could if it don’t fit. I just hate throwing money way at something you won’t own.

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you have a standard size single garage door it probably won't fit width wise. Also, 19'8" probably won't work either. There are usually braces on the garage door which would make the depth shallower as well. the boat on the trailer is 19'6". I had a double garage with 2 single doors. The boat would not fit width wise. I had to remove the center divider and get a double door.
Thank you for the reply. I’m trying to stay optimistic, but I think I’m fighting a losing battle unless I can figure something out.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2019 AR195 fits in the 19'8" depth with about an inch to spare. It is up against the back wall though. Garage door height and driveway angle may also play into it if it's a 7ft door. I agree with the others. Door width vs trailer max width may be your biggest challenge. I was able to talk my dealer into test fitting one for me prior to sale but 2 years ago was a different time.

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 2019 AR195 fits in the 19'8" depth with about an inch to spare. It is up against the back wall though. Garage door height and driveway angle may also play into it if it's a 7ft door. I agree with the others. Door width vs trailer max width may be your biggest challenge. I was able to talk my dealer into test fitting one for me prior to sale but 2 years ago was a different time.
Thank you for that advice! I may see if the local dealer can see about doing a test fit for us if it’s close with a tape measure. I agree with you all about the door width. I also have a hot water heater in our garage. So I need to figure out how to get around that issue as well.

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Make 1000% sure your door width is at least 10’ wide. It probably isn’t.

My 19 195 is 103” at the outside of the trailer tires and fenders. That’s a few inches under 9’. So to have maybe 6” of clearance per side to back in, you’ll need a 10’ door.

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Make 1000% sure your door width is at least 10’ wide. It probably isn’t.

My 19 195 is 103” at the outside of the trailer tires and fenders. That’s a few inches under 9’. So to have maybe 6” of clearance per side to back in, you’ll need a 10’ door.
thank you for that info! When we get back home we will be doing some measuring and I will post pics or tell what we have exactly.

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well update... drum roll please. Lol. my garage is 95.5 inches wide... smh. I will be finding a storage building to store it in. Oh well. Thank you everyone for your help with the measurements.

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yep. 8’ wide. Very typical and why I couldn’t find public storage for my 195. Even if it was a 10x20 unit, it had an 8’ door. Very frustrating.

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep. 8’ wide. Very typical and why I couldn’t find public storage for my 195. Even if it was a 10x20 unit, it had an 8’ door. Very frustrating.
oh wow! What size storage building Do you think I will need?

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Here in the Denver area where I live, we have few inside storage options that aren’t traditional public storage lockers. There was only one facility near me that had a locker that had a 10’ wide door but it was 12x25 I believe and they wanted some $250 a month.

The only other facilities are either outdoor in a gravel parking lot, or huge 15 x 40s or so that fit full size motor homes. Those are upwards of $400 a month and are always booked.

So my Tundra lives outside yearround and the AR takes up 1/2 of our 2 car garage

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here in the Denver area where I live, we have few inside storage options that aren’t traditional public storage lockers. There was only one facility near me that had a locker that had a 10’ wide door but it was 12x25 I believe and they wanted some $250 a month.

The only other facilities are either outdoor in a gravel parking lot, or huge 15 x 40s or so that fit full size motor homes. Those are upwards of $400 a month and are always booked.

So my Tundra lives outside yearround and the AR takes up 1/2 of our 2 car garage
Gotcha. Thanks @steve0617. It makes me want to go purchase a small amount of property and put my own building on it. Oh well I budgeted for around $250.00 as that’s what we pay in GA to store our race car. I would hate to purchase the boat and have it sitting outside.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It makes me want to go purchase a small amount of property and put my own building on it.
I've been telling my wife for YEARS we could easily cover the cost of the land, building, and our own stall if we found some land and built. Storage is crazy expensive around here, and ALWAYS on a wait list.

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been telling my wife for YEARS we could easily cover the cost of the land, building, and our own stall if we found some land and built. Storage is crazy expensive around here, and ALWAYS on a wait list.
@2kwik4u I agree. My wife is on board, but we would hate to finance some land then not be able to get the boat. So we will get the boat, try to pay it off quickly then exercise that option. I would be sick to my stomach if we done the reverse to that and couldn’t get the boat.

devinstuart20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After calling around today at several other storage facilities I have found one I will be going with. It has a 10x10 door that is 20 foot deal for $95.00 a month. This makes me excited. Out of curiosity what is the total height of the whole unit on the trailer with the wake tower up?