• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for info on the Deluxe Premium Cover for '17+ AR190's.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My shipping cover is done for. Ripped and torn in a few spots, and currently just used to keep the dust off the boat in the garage. I need to replace it before this season gets started here in a few months.

I'm 99% convinced I want the Deluxe Premium Mooring cover. I have some questions that I can't find the answers to, or pictures of.

Anyone have a picture of this cover on an AR195/190? I can't find one online anywhere of the '17+ forward swept tower 19ft boats. All the marketing pics seem to be a 242LS or an older 190/192 with the dual position mounted tower.

Lets talk about towing. Anyone tow thier '17+ 190/195 with this cover? I don't trust the carpet/seats to stay in while trailering on the expressway, as well as people littering, so I tow with a cover on. I've heard of issues with "micro-scuffing" on the gel coat. Is this really an issue? Anyone have a picture of the "damage"? If it's significant, can I just buff it once a year and call it good?

What about mooring. Specifically with the 190's the cleats are NOT pop up. Do they clear the cover acceptable when not in use (like trailering), and does the cover clear the cleats with room to get a rope through for bumpers and lines when docked?

What about water proofing. Does the cover leak when trailered in the rain? The shipping cover leaked pretty badly once worn. Can I take some hydrophobic spray like NeverWet and coat the cover with it, and have the water bead off? how does it do right out of the box?

Thanks in advance for the help! Would like to confirm my decision and get it in the budget for this years tax return :D :D

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Attachments

Last edited:

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey @2kwik4u,

Here is a picture of the cover on our old 2017 AR190. Hope it helps!

As for your questions, here are my thoughts!

Trailering
- We always towed with our cover on, didn’t notice any damage, but I can see how it could happen.

Cleats
- the cleats are under zippered rubber covers, I actually liked the non retractable cleats when putting the cover on as you could use the cleats to help hold the cover as you put it on. We often leave our retractible ones extended when putting the cover on for this reason. The zippered cover over the cleat can be left open to allow ropes and bumpers through

Waterproofing
- we never had any trouble, might get a drip of two, but only used it for a year or so before trading the boat.

Comments on the cover itself
- I absolutely LOVE these covers, we had the buttons on our boat when we were kids and they were the devil, this cover it a DREAM, if you liked how easy the shipping cover was get ready to be darn near turned on....... The material is nice and light and easy to work with, the cover fits like a dream, and goes on with two of us in less than 3 minutes. We roll it up from the back, then just do the reverse to put it back on. The clips and ratchets are also much better quality than the shippping cover which makes things even easier!

if you have any other specific questions just give me a shout!

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@zipper Thanks so much for finding that picture. I seriously searched for an hour this morning looking for one. Also, I found the same listing from Yamaha Sports Plaza for $680-ish, but as you can see the pics are for the 242LS. I suspect I'll buy from the dealer, as they have been good to us and have helped us out on pricing with other purchases from them, several times sending us across the street to get our item from another retailer.

@Whisky Thanks for the picture. That is exactly what I was looking for. Same for the feedback. I have a couple other questions.

Looks like it's missing the zipper/cover for the fuel fill on yours. Am I not seeing that right, or did you have to unstrap/velcro the cover to fill with fuel? One of the few things I don't like about the shipping cover that I was hoping to have resolved here. Definitely NOT a dealbreaker, just interesting that it appears to be present on the 24ft covers, and not on the 19ft covers.

Are the "anti-pooling" poles included with the cover, or are you using the ones that were under the shipping cover? I still have mine, just curious if I'll end up with a spare set of poles and straps with the new one.

When trailering with the cover on, did you leave the poles in or out? I went the first season with them in, then second with them out. Cover didn't seem to care one way or the other, but there are some heated opinions on here about how that is supposed to be done. Just curious on your experience.

Finally, did you tow with the bimini stowed against the tower like that often? I didn't at first because the cover would "flap" in the wind. I finally bought some short bungee's with a ball on the end and use that to wrap the bimini cover to the tower when towing. Seems to have stopped the flapping but is something I wouldn't mind NOT doing, as they've flung off and whacked me in the face a number of times now.

@malibu Dan Thanks for the picture. Are those horizontal guides you have on that trailer? I've never seen those before, have any more details?

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Anytime!

Fuel Cap
- Unfortunately, on the 19 the fuel cap doesnt have a zippered access. BUT, unlike the shipping cover the ratchets are near the clips and tower velcro, so it is really easy to just pop the strap, undo the clip and fold the cover open to access the fuel cap.

Anti-Pooling Poles
- Yup, the cover comes with a new set of poles, the ones that come with the cover are nices than the shipping cover, they have a bigger foot, are extendable (which might be nice if the cover stretches, and have clips on the back loops (cant remember if shipping set does too) which make tightening them really easy. I generally use the new set with the delux cover, then just use the shipping set in the winter when I use the shipping cover like a nice warm sweater.

Trailering with the poles in
- When I trailer, I trailer with the poles in. I will admit, that the poles and straps do seem to take a fair bit of pressure when doing this, and I also question wether I am stressing the cover, especially in the bow where the pole is holding it up. I do like that, with the vents helping to suck the air out the straps keep the cover taught when towing, theorietically helping to avoid flapping and shredding. I’ve seen how tarps get shredded when loose, so I try to avoid that with the cover. I agree that there are may opinions, and honestly, I never tow longer than about 45 minutes (to te dealer) so I don’t give it alot of thought. I dont know the correct answer per the manufacturer.

Bimini
- I generally tow with the bimini stowed against the tower with it’s boot on, tied with the standard built in clips, though I do wrap the clip around the bimini and the tower, instead of counting on the strap stitching alone. I only really take it off in the winter. If I were to do a long haul, I think I’d likely take it off just for good measure, but havent had any trouble (except for bug splatter) so far.

Any other questions I can help with? :)

FJRmann

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if weather is in the forecast i tow with the anti pooling poles in the boat but not erected for use. i leave the pole straps attached to the cleats and once at my destination if the weather is poor i can stand the poles up and be out from under the cover in a few moments. i believe i read you are not to tow with the poles up, 6 years have past since i read the fine print.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anytime!

Fuel Cap
- Unfortunately, on the 19 the fuel cap doesnt have a zippered access. BUT, unlike the shipping cover the ratchets are near the clips and tower velcro, so it is really easy to just pop the strap, undo the clip and fold the cover open to access the fuel cap.

Anti-Pooling Poles
- Yup, the cover comes with a new set of poles, the ones that come with the cover are nices than the shipping cover, they have a bigger foot, are extendable (which might be nice if the cover stretches, and have clips on the back loops (cant remember if shipping set does too) which make tightening them really easy. I generally use the new set with the delux cover, then just use the shipping set in the winter when I use the shipping cover like a nice warm sweater.

Trailering with the poles in
- When I trailer, I trailer with the poles in. I will admit, that the poles and straps do seem to take a fair bit of pressure when doing this, and I also question wether I am stressing the cover, especially in the bow where the pole is holding it up. I do like that, with the vents helping to suck the air out the straps keep the cover taught when towing, theorietically helping to avoid flapping and shredding. I’ve seen how tarps get shredded when loose, so I try to avoid that with the cover. I agree that there are may opinions, and honestly, I never tow longer than about 45 minutes (to te dealer) so I don’t give it alot of thought. I dont know the correct answer per the manufacturer.

Bimini
- I generally tow with the bimini stowed against the tower with it’s boot on, tied with the standard built in clips, though I do wrap the clip around the bimini and the tower, instead of counting on the strap stitching alone. I only really take it off in the winter. If I were to do a long haul, I think I’d likely take it off just for good measure, but havent had any trouble (except for bug splatter) so far.

Any other questions I can help with? :)
Sounds like the lack of fuel filler access hole isn't a big deal. Wasn't a huge deal with the shipping cover, but was hoping to avoid that. Oh well.

Glad to hear the new cover comes with new poles. I haven't used mine while trailer in awhile, but probably will again with the new cover. We got stuck in a massive rainstorm on I65 between Louisville and Nashville last year. When we got to the hotel in Nashville the interior of the boat was SOAKED with water, and I could see it dripping THROUGH the cover in the bow where water had pooled during the drive. I might spot test the new cover with some hydrophobic coatings and see if that will help things. We have a tendency to get caught in the rain. Owned a boat a total of 10 seasons now, and I've yet to go a season without getting stuck in a rainstorm either trailering or on the water.

I hadn't thought about running the strap ALL the way around the bimini and the tower. So simple and better than relying on the stitching. I'll start doing that moving forward I think. I hvae a soundbar up there now as well, so that has also effected the airflow around the bimini in the stowed position. Between the bimini and the bar, I get a horrendous whistle above about 60mph. I suspect it's the cooling fins on the bar, but haven't had a chance to test just yet. Trying to convince my mother to sew me up some light canvas to cover the sound bar while in transit both for the whistle, and to keep the bugs out of the cooling fins.

I think I'm sold on the Yamaha Cover at this point. Getting some good pictures and some good feedback was really helpful. Thanks so much!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pulled from another thread

I had a Sailrite on the radar earlier this year. They are nice machines. Have a good friend that makes custom Airplane Interiors (want to talk about long waits and high prices, try building anything for an airplane), and he recommended it to me. They also have some AMAZING videos on how to do custom canvas enclosures. It was going to be a winter project for me, but I have too many other things going on this year to mess with it. I'm eager to see what you guys get accomplished with that machine. If it's anything like the rest of that "project" I'd wager it'll be top notch!
You could make the leap and put your own zippered fuel access cover in it.;)
or make your own mooring cover.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
IMG_1961.JPG Mine has the zippered access for the fuel filler. Did they change that due to the different tower on the 17's and newer?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2019, I also have the fuel door on my Delux cover.

As far as waterproof, I don’t think any water makes it through the material, however the vents in the top and the gaps for the tower will allow water to make it into the boat, it’s not a lot, but some does make it in.

On mine the vents are directly over the center right about the helm so some gets on the dash but most drops on the ski locker and funnels it way to the back, I leave mine stored with bow at highest position.

Here is an up close picture of the fuel door.
870DE48F-9715-45E0-AC82-72C2E828ADD4.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pulled from another thread.......You could make the leap and put your own zippered fuel access cover in it.;) or make your own mooring cover.
You know I seriously considered making my own cover. I'm fairly well convinced the learning curve is steeper than I think it is, and time is not on my side for a project of that magnitude. I can see adding a fuel door if the new cover doesn't come with one though. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to make some side curtains from Vinyl for the bimini top. We get caught in the rain at least once a season, and having some way to stay dry would be so nice.

It's interesting to to me that they are on some boats, but not on others. It also looks like just the '17-'18 models got left out. I wonder if there are some subtle differences in the fuel fill location that leads to interference between the cover portion that goes through the tower and where the fill door is located. I feel like this might be a Yamaha "oops" of sorts, and was deemed "worth fixing on the next rev".

@malibu Dan Thanks for the link to those guide ons. We had similar pieces on our last boat and they seem to work pretty well. Might see if the wife wants to add those to this trailer. I've only put the boat off/on the trailer once in the two seasons we've owned it, so it's really her call.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wouldn’t tow with the anti pooling poles in. Use a large beach ball instead. Much less pressure and stress on the cover. My shipping cover had excessive wear when I towed with the anti pooling poles. IMO those poles are meant for stationary or mooring use.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn’t tow with the anti pooling poles in. Use a large beach ball instead. Much less pressure and stress on the cover. My shipping cover had excessive wear when I towed with the anti pooling poles. IMO those poles are meant for stationary or mooring use.
Does the big beach ball still work without the center filler cushion? Our 190 doesn't have that fancy stuff you 195 guys got :D :D

I did tow for awhile last season with the straps in, but the poles out. No idea if that helped or not, however you can easily see the strap lines in the rearview mirror while towing, so I have to think they are doing something.

I will say the first season of towing was a giant PIA to load/unload the boat between locations. I was using the poles, the straps, and then wasn't deflating the tube, so it sat in the main cockpit area under the cover while towing, but only after stowing and removing the bimini and placing it in the floor beneath the tube. It was a huge process that felt like it took an hour. Now that I am deflating the tube, leaving the bimini attached to the tower, and only using the straps it gotten a bit easier. I'm constantly on the lookout for ways to remove time from that process.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You don't need the filler cushion to hold in a decent sized ball.

This is going to sound bad but here it goes lol..... @DBamaC what size are your balls? :D

A 20-30" diameter ball should be plenty I would imagine. I think the walkway is like 12" wide near the bow so you'd want the ball a little larger so it can nestle in between the cushions a little.

Last edited:

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wanted to come back and update this thread.

I bought the "Deluxe Premium Cover" from YamahaSportsPlaza. I called my local dealer to get it from him, however they couldn't drop the cost to match YamahaSportsPlaza+ shipping. They couldn't get within $100, so they told me to go get it there and save the money. I really do like my dealer, and if something is within $100 of online I would rather buy local. In this case it was around $150 more to get it local.

There is NO zippered fuel door.
It DOES come with new poles and straps to prevent pooling.
Doesn't say whether the poles come out for towing or not, but does mention a special "vacu-hold" (or similar wording) feature to keep it from flapping at speed.
It doesn't have the nice fleece lining like the factory shipping cover.
Appears to be of nice quality material with nice pockets all over for access to the cleats when covered (I'll be testing this in a few months on vacation).
I noticed the ratchets are not "removable" like they were on the shipping cover. The strap material is sewn around the center hub of the ratchet. Probably not a big deal, but something I noticed.

I intend to test out some hydrophobic coatings on it in a few places to see how it works. Seems like an easy way to keep the water out of the boat when trailering in the rain. Just need to make sure it doesn't affect the color-fast-ness of the cover, or otherwise damage it.

I also intend to test towing with and without the poles in place to see how it works out. I suspect I'll end up towing without the poles, but with the straps like I did the shipping cover. Usually just rolled the straps right up in the cover as I was going, and it was super easy to get those in place.

Here's a picture of it installed on the boat. I can take more if anyone wants some. The white hull with black cover and trailer looks really nice behind the black truck. I'm pretty pleased with the appearance of it all.