• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to purchase

Mike23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone currently I have an crown line 180br io & looking at a 2015 AR240. Wanted to pick your brains on a few questions I had. First the dealer is selling this as a demo with about 108 hours on it do you see any issues with this? They tell me the break maintenance was done & properly broken in? Would you trust that. Secondly I run a lot of rivers & shallow lakes I know the Yamaha runs shallow but do you guys have issues with damage from sucking up sand, rocks etc. when beaching it? I heard a couple of horror stories of things getting sucked up & damaged. I'm always careful but looking for feedback. Thanks

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I guess it depends on how reputable the dealer is. I can't see them selling you a boat if they didn't take care of it properly. Are they an actual Yamaha dealer or did they get the boat from someone else? Does it include the rest of the factory warranty? Most times you can get them to throw in an extended YES warranty to cover it for 5 years. What price? As far as beaching it, a lot of people here do that. You typically don't want to go less then 2 feet or it will start sucking things up but most people do. Just know that you can get away with it up until you do suck something in. Dirt and sand will go through but can get sucked in to the cooling system and cause issues. Rocks can cause damage and get jammed in the impeller as well as sticks and ropes and fish and leaves and plastic bottles and bottle caps and and and and, you get the picture. I can say I've never had an issue and I use it on a river every weekend.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sure people have gotten stuff seriously stuck in the impeller and had to remove the pump assemble to get the item free, fairly easy process and there are step by step instructions in the FAQ section of this forum. Also, there has been a very small number of folks that have had an impeller damaged due to stuff getting sucked up. But most things sucked up in the jet pump either blow right throw or can be removed via the clean out plugs, neither causing any damage. Also from my 5 year experience while owning a Yamaha and all the reports I have read on this forum, the amount of issues with sucking something up is drastically lower than the amount of people that have damaged props on out drives or outboards. In 5 years owning a Yamaha I have sucked up 2 things that were easily removed via the clean out plugs but have damages 2 props in the one season of owning my new boat.

One thing many people do when near a beach, is to only run the motors when in 3' of water. You walk/pull the boat back to the beach and when leaving pushing the boat out into 3' or deeper water before starting the motors. These boats don't have gears, so there is no true neutral which means the impeller is always spinning.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing many people do when near a beach, is to only run the motors when in 3' of water. You walk/pull the boat back to the beach and when leaving pushing the boat out into 3' or deeper water before starting the motors. These boats don't have gears, so there is no true neutral which means the impeller is always spinning.
@Mike23 x2
Very well said! So easy to suck things up when drifting close to shore/beach. Think of it as a huge vacuum cleaner with no true neutral.

--

Mike23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I guess it depends on how reputable the dealer is. I can't see them selling you a boat if they didn't take care of it properly. Are they an actual Yamaha dealer or did they get the boat from someone else? Does it include the rest of the factory warranty? Most times you can get them to throw in an extended YES warranty to cover it for 5 years. What price? As far as beaching it, a lot of people here do that. You typically don't want to go less then 2 feet or it will start sucking things up but most people do. Just know that you can get away with it up until you do suck something in. Dirt and sand will go through but can get sucked in to the cooling system and cause issues. Rocks can cause damage and get jammed in the impeller as well as sticks and ropes and fish and leaves and plastic bottles and bottle caps and and and and, you get the picture. I can say I've never had an issue and I use it on a river every weekend.
The dealer is a Yamsha dealer they said the boat was purchased from Yamaha who was using it for a demo/test boat. The boat is relatively clean as far as scratches a couple in the graphics. The passenger captain chair looked as though it had a burn hole in it. He said they would repair it. The foam under the engine compartment was coming off & said they needs to re-glue it. The connex touch screen wouldn't work by touch screen but he said it wa me probably just set to that & would exchange if needed. I'm just trying to figure out if this was truly a demo & if so I would assume they would've done the proper break in I just don't want to buy it if it was a rental. As I'm sure it was just beat. I would get the extended warranty & the boat would be sold as new since it was a demo so I would get the factory warranty too. The price is $45,000 the engines have 107 on one & 108 on the other. I appreciate the feedback & any advice. Tha ks

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mike23 I think a lot depends on the price, it could be a great deal. Depending on where you're located (zip or body of water), there may be a member who could help you check the boat out.

108 hrs is a lot for a demo. Makes me wonder. But not necessarily a deal breaker.

Maintenance (oil changes) is critical, so if you trust they did it, that should be okay.

Break-in process - that is a very controversial topic, I would not worry about it too too much unless you have a reason to think the boat has been seriously abused.

The non-working Connext screen - that would give me pause. I would want to have that fixed for sure.

Was it run in salt? If yes, it is critical to have the boat flushed properly, so - definitely something to consider.

EDIT: Somehow I missed the price! That is steep. I would say way too steep for a 100+hours boat.

--

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dealer is a Yamsha dealer they said the boat was purchased from Yamaha who was using it for a demo/test boat. The boat is relatively clean as far as scratches a couple in the graphics. The passenger captain chair looked as though it had a burn hole in it. He said they would repair it. The foam under the engine compartment was coming off & said they needs to re-glue it. The connex touch screen wouldn't work by touch screen but he said it wa me probably just set to that & would exchange if needed. I'm just trying to figure out if this was truly a demo & if so I would assume they would've done the proper break in I just don't want to buy it if it was a rental. As I'm sure it was just beat. I would get the extended warranty & the boat would be sold as new since it was a demo so I would get the factory warranty too. The price is $45,000 the engines have 107 on one & 108 on the other. I appreciate the feedback & any advice. Tha ks
For that price I would be looking at 2016 left over new with zero hours I have seen the right around 50K.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I paid 52 out the door for my 16 ar240 with galvanized trailer and delux premium black cover thrown in

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
108 hours is not a demo - I'd consider it used. $45k doesn't seem like a deal to me.

And just like @Andy S describes - I never beach it. I back it in, walk/pull it into 2' of water. Then when leaving - I shove her off with 1 big heave ho and then fire it up.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i got about 90 on my 2013... that boat has been thoroughly used.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree....108 hours is certainly NOT a new boat. I also agree the CONNEXT repair/replace would be a must! The other issue is that you are less than 100 hours from a valve clearance check. Not terribly hard to do yourself, but I would negotiate with the dealer to provide that service to you when do either free or AT LEAST half the normal price! Does the price include the cover? I would make that a requirement. I agree, the price is not great, but if they give you the full factory warranty and throw in the YES for at least a couple of extra years, it may not be a bad deal. I assume it also include the trailer? One last issue, you should be able to get a look at the impeller blades with a good flashlight looking thru the nozzles. Never looked at mine yet, so dont know exactly how much you can see, but you may be able to see if there is any damage to the impellers. Others on here may be able to answer that question for you.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry, priced way too high. Understanding NADA is a "guide" and only a "guide," the NADA on this, retail, is $42,350. The hours are very high for a demo boat. Rest assured this was not a demo boat; it was probably used by the sales crew - sure, on some demo rides - but also as someone's personal boat. That is a s&*tload of hours for a demo boat. If it was used in salt water, being a dealer "demo" it probably was not taken care of methodically because it was not owned by a caring owner, but rather it was a group use boat. Salt water use is not a deal breaker for sure - salt water boats taken care of, properly, are fine and fetch a decent price in the used market. I suspect this boat was ragged on by the myriad of operators who had no ownership interest in the boat.

As far as beaching? I don't do it but if you do, the key is as you read above. Cut engines and walk it in. Walk it out. Then? No problem, and this is not difficult to do. Again, even in neutral those engines are gonna' suck some stuff up in shallow water, so why chance it? Walk it in; walk it out and enjoy the swim deck. This is what these boats are built for! But walk it in and out.

Mind you - these Yamaha boats are basically bulletproof as far as the engines are concerned. The electronics could be another story. The "connext" has been an issue and my dealer simply told me "people expect this thing to be perfect and it is never going to be that" Drives him crazy with the little things that go wrong with it. I can't speak from personal experience on this but am repeating what a dealer/friend told me.

Me? Sorry I run from that dealer boat. Will it last a long while even though I believe it was ragged upon? Yes. These boats are bulletproof. But at this asking price? I don't even consider it.

You must understand one thing. You want a Yamaha. No doubt. Best valued boat in this type of market. Do not be blinded by your desire. Be patient and look around. You know how it is. I am looking for a certain car model at the moment. I was pissed I didn't jump on one deal that appeared 4 weeks ago. I sat on it one day too long, and regretted when it sold to someone else. One month later (in fact today) I am waiting to hear if my offer was accepted on an even better deal/price/mileage. I am glad I was patient. Same thing with my Yamaha. I have purchased 2. But I was patient. Took me almost 8 months to buy my second, but when the deal was right? I knew it. bought both of my Yamahas off the "other" forum, when this forum did not exist. Patience, my friend. Look around. Don't be too set on a certain model. Buy used, for sure. Let someone else eat your depreciation. In 2013, I bought a 2008 SX230 off a guy who bought it NEW in 2011 as a dealer left over. I wanted an AR or a 212X but none appeared, so I snatched this one up and have yet to have a problem with it. I love it. Look around. There are several for sale on both forums, such as these:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2014-212x-for-sale.12167/

https://jetboaters.net/threads/for-2013-yamaha-242-limited-s-37-000.12025/#post-208965

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=67881

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=69639

There is so much to choose from. Coupled with the one big red flag that has come out on the one you mention (not well cared for by a "group" of owners) I would pass on it. Take your time and find your deal. They will start popping up but remember, once it warms up it will turn to a seller's market.

As an aside, you have come to the absolute best forum of its type on the web. I have been a member of many forums for my motorcycles, cars, campers and the like. Nary a one, collectively has the kind of expertise and love of sharing knowledge as this forum has. In addition, we do not tolerate dick heads with smart ass,condescending remarks. In fact, you will not find one member who posts such comments.

Good luck in your search. Be patient, as you run from that {not a} deal.

Mike23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for responses you were a great help!!

Mike23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took everyone's advice & kept on looking. Narrowed it down to two but have a few more questions.

I'm looking to buy a new ar240 either a 16 or 17 the price is going to be roughly the same but the 16 comes with a 5 year yes & the 17 three year yes. Any recommendations on that. Also I'm trying to negotiate with the dealers any suggestions of what to ask for? I was thinking maintenance does anyone know the initial maintenance that needs to be done on a new boat I should have included. Has anyone had any luck getting the prep & transport fees waived? Thanks

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The left over 16's should be cheaper I have seen them in the 51k range including fees. If they are the same price get the 17 just to help on resale even if they were with in 1500 of each other I would still go 17 I think 3k difference is fair on a left over.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some have been able to get the fees knocked off it really just depends on the dealer if you are going new I would pick the 3 or 4 closest dealers email them let them know what you are buying and tell them who ever comes back the with cheapest out the door price gets your business then take that price back to your local dealer and see if the will match it if not buy from the other dealer.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
>100 hours on a demo boat is way too much. As mentioned above, this isn't a demo...but more likely a boat one of the dealership people used for a season. The mere fact that there's a burn mark on a seat implies (to me) that this was used in more than a demo setting. Considering a Demo is usually 30 minutes or so of time, that's a lot of demo's

Now in the big scheme of life, 100 hours isn't anything on these boats.

Also as noted, you can get one that's new for the same price. Go that route and know the history of the boat you buy. $ for $, you'll be happier in the long run.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Way too much for all those hours. It's only $5k less than my 2016 with zero hours. IMHO, they need to be $10k back at a minimum to even get my attention. Good decision to pass on it. I like the 5 year Yes warranty and that's where I'd put my money. Piece of mind and the newer model did not really change as far as I can tell.

Bothomas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone currently I have an crown line 180br io & looking at a 2015 AR240. Wanted to pick your brains on a few questions I had. First the dealer is selling this as a demo with about 108 hours on it do you see any issues with this? They tell me the break maintenance was done & properly broken in? Would you trust that. Secondly I run a lot of rivers & shallow lakes I know the Yamaha runs shallow but do you guys have issues with damage from sucking up sand, rocks etc. when beaching it? I heard a couple of horror stories of things getting sucked up & damaged. I'm always careful but looking for feedback. Thanks
Did you ever purchase?