• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to purchase

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

Going to look at a 2005 SX230 HO that is for sale in my area. The owner took it in as a project. The interior was aged pretty good and one engine had failed. He totally had the interior re-done and he installed 2 brand new SBT engines (I know, not the best). He just finished the build and has yet to put it in the water. We are supposed to be going out on Friday to check it out.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking at with these boats? I own a pair of Yamaha FX Cruisers HO's so I know a little about how the jet drives work.

What about the twin new SBT's? He kept the one of the old engines that didnt need to be replaced and is giving to me to use as a spare should I need it.

Through's? Any input would be great. He did a great job with the project. Looks new.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Beware of those SBT engines is all I have to say.. Seems those years of 230s have ECU issues getting moisture in them as well. If it’s a blazing deal then I suppose you have to determine if the risk is worth it!

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My main concern is the SBT engines. Especially since they are new and only ran at idle.. not in the water. They still have some warranty left though. Not a smoking deal by any means.. we're doing a trade equal to around low 20's.

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been looking at just buying some other boats... how many hours is too many on one of these MR1 engines? I found a very clean 2005 AR230 HO but it has 550 hours on it.. is that a lot? Most others I've looked at so far were less than 200... at least thats what they are claiming.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Been looking at just buying some other boats... how many hours is too many on one of these MR1 engines? I found a very clean 2005 AR230 HO but it has 550 hours on it.. is that a lot? Most others I've looked at so far were less than 200... at least thats what they are claiming.
How many hours is to many depends on how they were maintained, when I was searching for a engine for our boat I found skis with over a 1000 hrs. on them that checked out and ran better then ones with 200 hrs.

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the info. Going to look at yet a different AR230 tomorrow morning. It just so happens to be at a shop just down the street from my office. The owner says he put it in the shop to have them go through everything before selling and while it was there they said one of the engines needed to be replaced. So they put an SBT engine in it... ugh.. not what I want to hear but better than a boat with both engines being SBT.

Anything else I should be looking at. The price is pretty good considering. Its a 2005 AR230. Owner did say upholstery would need to be redone soon. Not sure what that costs.. thinking entire interior would be about 5k.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the SBT engines I would ask which ones? The base(cheapest) one or the higher end replacement ones? From what I've read the cheapest are having the most issues and the more expensive ones are having less issues. I would also ask why the engines were replaced in the first place. Blown up due to milky oil or gas in the oil? Make sure the SBT warranty is transferable to a new owner.

Check the keel for damage on any boat. Check engine bay for any signs that there was high water in the hull. Make sure the steering and throttle cables move free. Make sure the cleanout plugs are free. Look for impeller damage. Check to make sure lights and all other electric function work, radio, blowers, bilge pump. Check to make sure the no-wake mode works on both engines.

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! Good news is its at a very reputable shop right now and that is where I am going to see it. The owner is a state away. This shop is the ones that made the call on the old motor. So i feel they will go through everything with me very honestly.

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well.. its in very rough shape.. passing on that. I am looking at a really well kept 2004 AR230 next week. Curious.. how important/nice is the no wake mode on these boats? I know the '04s didnt have it.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well.. its in very rough shape.. passing on that. I am looking at a really well kept 2004 AR230 next week. Curious.. how important/nice is the no wake mode on these boats? I know the '04s didnt have it.
Not that big of a deal but it's nice to have if you boat in an area with a lot of No-Wake enforcement.

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks... the AR/SX210's.. I know they are 100 HP Less and 2' smaller... I'm assuming all that is noticeable? Probably would be taking 3-4 adults and 3-4 kids at a time out.. want to be able to ski/wakeboard/tube. I'm at sea level.

My ultimate goal is get into a boat for the next year or two.. figure out EXACTLY what we want and then just go buy a new boat that is exactly what we need.

Would a 210 pull skiiers, boarders and tubers? WIll it still have plenty get up and go?

Last edited:

Jores

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The main thing is to figure out how and where your gonna use your boat and then size up (if possible). We started boating with a 18 four winns, older but well taken care of bow rider. Almost immediately figured out it was a little smaller than we preferred and after cruising the chain of lakes where we live figured out that chilling at the sandbar was what we ended up enjoying. We started looking at Yamaha because of the design and the fantastic swim deck. Got a great deal on a 242 2016 limited that sat in a showroom for two years. Bigger than what I thought I wanted but four years later I wouldn't want anything different. Upgraded the stereo and added speakers at the helm and that"s about it. Do your diligence and try to buy your second boat first.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've never found the nonwake mode to be of use on my sx230.

I don't think there is a "too many hours limit for the MR1. They survive into the thousands of hours on jet skis... so on the much lower intensity use of a boat... no limit.

Not sure what your price range is, but I'd search for an 07+ if you can increase your budget to allow for it. Those years are among the finest boats, let alone Yamaha jetboats, ever made. Earlier years weren't quite figured out. Later years were somewhat cost cut.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what your price range is, but I'd search for an 07+ if you can increase your budget to allow for it. Those years are among the finest boats, let alone Yamaha jetboats, ever made. Earlier years weren't quite figured out. Later years were somewhat cost cut.
With the engines in these boats we found out last year on the Bimini trip that the MR1 HO is more fuel efficient that the newer boats also. 2 of us that had them made it over with a full crew and gear using just over a 1/2 tank of gas. The newer boats did not fare as well with a few needing fuel to complete the trip.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With the engines in these boats we found out last year on the Bimini trip that the MR1 HO is more fuel efficient that the newer boats also. 2 of us that had them made it over with a full crew and gear using just over a 1/2 tank of gas. The newer boats did not fare as well with a few needing fuel to complete the trip.
One if these years I gotta do Bimini with yall.

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for the help. Ended up with a 2007 AR210 (for a pretty penny too). Owner kept the thing in like new condition. Engines do have about 190 hours but that's fine. Took it out yesterday and it is just perfect for my family. Yeah.. 100 extra HP from a 230 would be neat but for where we go its totally unnecessary. Love it.