• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loose impeller shaft

sananvet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Need some guidance folks. I’m in Stuart, FL this week on vacation with my 2019 210FSH. There is bad cavitation and rattling occurring with my port impeller. I have checked the clean out for debris and can’t find anything. The RPMs will fluctuate wildly with no apparent loss of power. The engine cutoff and would not restart for a few hours- would not turn over. Once restarted the rattle and cavitation continued. The only thing I can find amiss from deck side is the impeller shaft seems loose in the tube. I can wiggle it slightly. The starboard shaft is nice and tight. The edges of the impeller has quite a few roughs spots as well. Any thoughts? Is this dangerous to operate?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the strangest part is why the motor wouldn't start for a few hours?

1. would it crank and not fire
2. did the starter not crank at all ?
3. did you not even hear a click from the starter/ECU when the key was engaged ?

Maybe something was caught in the impeller and it was creating enough drag to stop the engine from starting ??

Did something happen when the cavitation started? did you suck up a rope, bottle or gravel ? were you cruising along at 30mph and wham! cavitation issues ?

I would get the boat on the trailer and pull the impeller, it's only a 20 minute process and see how bad the impeller/wear ring are, maybe swap the impeller/shafts between the pumps to see if the wiggle follows the shaft to the other side or if the good shaft now wiggles,

since the shaft is wiggling I wouldn't operate it more than needed to diagnose a problem. we had a member with a 190 with a bad cone bearing maybe and the vibration ended it costing him an engine (if I'm remembering that thread correctly)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know we have members in the Stuart area, if you're not comfortable doing the work maybe start a new thread with "Need Help in Stuart FL ASAP" and put this link in it and see if someone will respond,

sananvet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It would definitely click and the voltage would drop heavily when the ignition was turned. It did SEEM as if something was stuck in the impeller. However, I ran it again this morning after sitting overnight and the rattle continues with fluctuations in RPMs. The motor died while at low speed 5-6 mph and again would not restart.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is the boat sitting in the water overnight or do you have it on a lift or trailer ?

If it's out of the water maybe there is wood or something stuck in the impeller, it dried overnight enough to start the engine and after being in the water it swelled up and then wouldn't let the engine start ??

anyways, I think you have to pull the impeller, if the shaft is wiggling I would run it more than necessary to diagnose,

sananvet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It’s been moored. For 48 hours in saltwater. I’m thinking the impeller shaft being loose is causing it to hit the sleeve.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
also how long did the motor run before it died, seconds, minutes, miles ?

If you've got impeller vs. wear ring excess gap causing the wiggle I wouldn't think that would stall the engine out.

We've definitely see where ropes and wood get into the shaft impeller that will stall the engine.

sananvet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It ran for about 15 minutes before stalling. It’s a pretty loud rattle and definitely cavitating

sananvet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have never pulled an impeller. I’ve had the boat for about a year and a half while I’ve done some shade tree mechanic work on my Jeep I’ve been a little apprehensive about doing too much with the Yammie

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

sananvet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome thanks! I guess I’ll put her on the trailer tomorrow and check it out. Still have 5 days of potential vacay/fishing left.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and I might suggest once you get the impeller removed to start the engine and let it run for a minute (even without cooling water) to see if it has any unusual sounds or vibrations without the shaft/impeller,

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas is guiding you exactly correctly. And just to back him up on this: pulling the pump is as easy as it looks in the video. Easier, in fact. I didn't pull my pumps for years thinking it would be hard and when I ultimately did, found it was so simple I wondered why I didn't do it sooner for things stuck in the pump. The only hitch is that sometimes the shaft is a bit stuck in the boat and hard to get out (but you should not have that on a '19--that is usually on older boats).

While you have the pump out, take a pic of the impeller and inside of the wear ring for us...

sananvet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Scottintexas is guiding you exactly correctly. And just to back him up on this: pulling the pump is as easy as it looks in the video. Easier, in fact. I didn't pull my pumps for years thinking it would be hard and when I ultimately did, found it was so simple I wondered why I didn't do it sooner for things stuck in the pump. The only hitch is that sometimes the shaft is a bit stuck in the boat and hard to get out (but you should not have that on a '19--that is usually on older boats).

While you have the pump out, take a pic of the impeller and inside of the wear ring for us...
Will do. I didn’t bring tools on this trip. We are 3 hours from home for the week. Unfortunately I have to idle over to the boat ramp later this week to trailer home.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ugh. Walmart nearby? Or anyone from whom you can borrow a tool for an hour? You really only need 1 socket wrench, extension and the right size socket...

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Need some guidance folks. I’m in Stuart, FL this week on vacation with my 2019 210FSH. There is bad cavitation and rattling occurring with my port impeller. I have checked the clean out for debris and can’t find anything. The RPMs will fluctuate wildly with no apparent loss of power. The engine cutoff and would not restart for a few hours- would not turn over. Once restarted the rattle and cavitation continued. The only thing I can find amiss from deck side is the impeller shaft seems loose in the tube. I can wiggle it slightly. The starboard shaft is nice and tight. The edges of the impeller has quite a few roughs spots as well. Any thoughts? Is this dangerous to operate?
Pull the cone o the impeller and check bearings. I had the rattle and cavitation in starboard drive and it turned out water had gotten in the cone and disintegrated the bearings. Glad I shut it down when I couldn't find debris in impeller but continued to hear the rattle.

Search my posts and see the pictures of the bearings that were destroyed.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
any updates?

StanM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a side note. I always have a water-tight toolbox on my boat at all times. You just never know...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length