• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost Power To Gauges - Need Help

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Started with the Speedo working intermittently, ultimately stopped completely (speedo wheel appears to be in good working order). Next trip out (speedo still not working) the tach guage started cutting in an out and by the end of the trip both gauges are non functioning. The boat seems to perform just fine, starts, idles, acceleration all appear to be non affected. Battery terminals are not corroded and are tight. I am about to start taking the dash apart and unplug the gauges and check for loose connections. It appears easier to take dash apart than crawling my big butt under the cushion.
I have heard that this was a common issue with Yammies but to my surprise i have not found anybody else mentioning it on this forum.
Suggestions? Causes? Fixes?

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you tried a full power reset? Disconnect the batteries for a few minutes and reconnect, seams to resolve some of those electrical gremlins many times.

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@sofakingbig yes unfortunately i have tried that. I am not getting power to the gauges. Not sure what the deal is. Afraid i am not getting power out of the computer. The only reason i was able to talk the wife into a a 2 year old boat is because i assured her we didn't want the maintenance/repair hassle of an older boat. Needless to say, she isn't pleased. haha... this is our first boat and we have owned it just a couple of months. Yippee

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OH... and i called Yamaha Customer Service not expecting miracles... but simply asked if i could speak with the Tech Department to see if they might be able to provide me some pointers. She told me Yamaha doesn't have a tech support line and there is nobody that can help me. Politely of course... I repeated what she said... So a 2014 Yamaha boat has not Tech Support? I see.... Thank you for your time. Grrrrrr frustrating when things dont work right

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You should check the connections where #YDS plugs in....although I'm not sure where that is on your boat. This thread gives that info for other models. On my new boat, it is behind the helm and you don't need to unplug anything, but on the older boats (without Connext) it was typically either behind a round white panel in the engine compartment, or just up above the ECUs. If those connections get wet or start coming apart you will lose tach function.