• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lots of cranking!

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm very new to this site but this is my third year with my first jet boat. I have a model year 2000 ls2000. Since getting this boat, I have had a problem starting it when cold. My usual routine is to crank till it starts with the choke before I put it in the water then shut it off once it pops off. Once in the water it starts no problem but if I back it in without doing this I have to crank it even longer. It seems to fire after about 45 seconds to a minute out of the water after sitting for a week. Once I have ran it and sit at a sand bar for even hours it starts right up, just not when it sits all week. I had the port engine replaced last year and both still act the same. Almost like it needs to be primed or the ball pumped on an outboard. Is there a check valve somewhere in the fuel system that's slowly draining back throughout the week? Any help would be greatly appreciated as its annoying and slightly embarrassing watching me crank a while and not start! Thanks in advance.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When Was the last time you changed the spark plugs?

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Should have been changed when I had the dealer swap the motor but then again, they lied about a bunch of other things too. I didn't think of that and was focused on a fuel issue. I'll try it this weekend.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Should have been changed when I had the dealer swap the motor but then again, they lied about a bunch of other things too. I didn't think of that and was focused on a fuel issue. I'll try it this weekend.
Right on…. You might try draining the float bowls if those carbs have float bowls.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Rebuild the carbs and add electric fuel pumps with an air seperator and this is what you get….

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sounds like I have a winter project to do now! Any leads on fuel pumps to point me in the right direction?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You have 2 stroke engines those are very difficult to start when cold because they need an extra rich fuel mixture, most people add a primer to the fuel system to supply extra fuel on cold starts other setups use a choke, Also check the fuel lines for any air being sucked in as this will also cause hard starting when cold. Even a bad fuel line selector switch to change from regular to reserve can cause the same issue and I always removed those switches and just take the fuel from the reserve fitting at the tank. Other causes could be a bad intake gasket or a bad crank seal as your fuel travels through the crank case before it gets in the cylinders and a bad seal etc will lean it out.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just find it strange that both are equally as hard to start cold. I could understand if it was just 1 but the port engine is a new rebuild from sbt so I would hope it wouldn't be a crank seal. The delete of the fuel selector(s) is a good idea too but the chance of both leaking air into the fuel system I feel is a far stretch too. If it was air getting into the system would you think when the engines are off I would smell fuel inside the hull too or am I overthinking it in that regard? I dont see any fuel laying in the hull anywhere either. These are all great suggestions too and I appreciate them!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Remember the fuel pump is operated by pulses of pressure and vacuum created by the crank case as the engine turns over I always removed those fuel pumps and replaced them with 3 psi electric pumps , turn on the ignition and the pump primes and the engines run a lot smoother at all speeds. I would check the fuel lines for air leaking in first and the reserve switch leaking also as those were the most common issues years ago when I had 2 stroke engines.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I definitely will this weekend, thank you for the great advice!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's exactly what I had found googling them. I figured as cheap as they are I'd just temp them in and try. If they work out I'll permanently install them. Hopefully will have a few more good weekends of boating left!