• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lots of water in the anchor locker - 212X

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
At no wake speeds or when coming off plane, that stupid drain for the anchor locker is under water and allows the anchor locker to fill with water. Once on plane, of course, it's above water line and then begins to drain. I'm seriously considering plugging that dumb drain hole because I believe it's useless. It should be able simply air dry on its own without a drain as the anchor and rope really don't bring that much water onboard when pulling up the anchor. Any ideas on how to plug that hole? It would be nice if we had a plug like a drain plug that can be removed, if need be.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
3M 4200 would do the job :D

I also don't really understand the need for the anchor drain or why they didn't just plumb the drain to the bilge, ski locker or other places where it could naturally drain and not swamp your anchor locker when coming off plane. That's how it does it on my boat. Hell even something as simple as a one-way check valve.

You could maybe use a barbed plug to seal from the top tube and remove it when you want to drain. If you store your boat outside you'll probably want to leave the plug out.

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree. I don't see why this has to fill with water, but do see a need for it to drain.

I do however, take my rode out at the end of each trip and lay it about the deck so it can dry. I don't want it to ret INB there.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This has been discussed before but I doubt I could find links to the threads now.
My 242ls suffers from the same problem and I feel that at least some of the water splashes over the tops of the inner side walls of the anchor locker and eventually into the bilge /area underneath the bow seating.

For me the solution was simple (FYI, I only store fenders and lines in there), I found a plastic and rubber cork/stopper at my Local BevMo that expands to seal off the drain and can be easily removed and reused whenever I want. I think it cost me all of $4 and has worked well for years now.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I found a plastic and rubber cork/stopper at my Local BevMo that expands to seal off the drain and can be easily removed and reused whenever I want. I think it cost me all of $4 and has worked well for years now.
That's exactly what I had in-mind for this. Can you post a picture of the one you bought? I was thinking all of the wine bottle keepers would be too large to fit into the locker drain hole. I think the hole is only the diameter of a pencil.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm out of town / away from my boat for a few more days so can't take or post a pic of my solution but know the drain diameter is bigger than a pencil's. my cork is conical and short, when I pull the lever on the back of it A rubber ring installed in the center of the stopper gets compressed and creates the seal. It is installed from inside the locker and does not protrude through the other side.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yet another fine example of how all of life's issues are resolved by items found in a liquor store! Thanks for the info! I'll be going by the store during my lunch break. :)

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you do put in a plug, just be careful of the pressure that you apply when putting it in. I pushed mine in too hard and the whole plastic insert piece fell out. So the anchor locker drain was just an open hole. I was just lucky that the white insert piece did not fall in the water. I siliconed the piece back into the hole and all is good now. I'm going to try your idea of the beverage stopper rather than a cork.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_3057.JPG IMG_3058.JPG IMG_3060.JPG IMG_3063.JPG IMG_3064.JPG IMG_3067.JPG Here is pics of what mine looked like. I decided to insert a 1/2 peice of tubing and put some 5200 around it. It isn't pretty but it should work for now.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I initially sealed the hole with 5200, then I found a plug at Walmart that was ½" diameter. It is a little tight but fits.

IMG_6532.JPG IMG_6776.JPG IMG_6791.JPG

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have also been searching for a scupper that will allow water to drain but not enter from sea. When I find it I will post details.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Only reasons I can think of needing that drain is if you take some waves over the bow and it fills with water, or it would allow rain water to drain out. That keeps me from permanently sealing mine. I've left mine open.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Posting pictures is a great help. Thanks guys.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am a fair weather sailor, no water over the bow! :winkingthumbsup" I can always remove the plug to drain and clean out. It just keeps water from rushing in.
They should have run a drain into the bilge from the locker or put a one way scupper in.