• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Love my 18 sx190 except for 2 minor things

Chucksx190

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We purchased our brand new18 sx190 in August of 18 got a good deal on it. We have 60 hours on it and love it. I have 2 small issues that if i could get some help on it would appreciate it. First we like to cruise and a 100 to 125 mile trip is normal in a day and some times 150-175. We live on the gulf so not a whole lot of fuel stops. I have to carry extra fuel in 5 gallon cans. If i could plumb in an extra 10-12 gallons it would make it so i do not have to refuel. Is there a way to do this? Second is that the seats seem to stain if you look at the wrong. Whats a good way to clean the seats. The boat is stored on a boat lift and is always covered with a Yamaha cover.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can't offer any help on the fuel related issue but its nice to hear about this size boat and how far it travels on fuel. I mostly do shorter trips with mine. I have a couple different cleaners I use. I'll check tonight but pretty sure its a star brite upolstery spray that I purchased from the dealer. What types of stains are your trying to remove? Simple Green also works well for general cleaning of many different things. I use that as well.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would think you could have a tank fabricated to fit the center storage locker that feeds into the main tank.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
150-175 miles is a LONG way on the stock fuel tank. How many cans do you take with you? I've done 75miles in my AR190 and got the low fuel light when putting back on the trailer. To get 150 miles would need another 30gal or so.

I would think getting a second tank mounted into the ski locker would work acceptably. I would want a blower installed in that area as well, and plumbed to outside the hull for safety. Keep in mind those fuel fumes settle not rise.

For staining, I've been using simple green on a microfiber. That seems to take MOST things off. I let it air dry or a day after that, and then use Aerospace 303 protectorant over that to keep the vinyl nice and soft. starting our 3rd season with good results, and my previous boat had near perfect vinyl when I sold it at 12yrs old.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a guy at my marina who has a tank in the ski locker. He has a pump and hose that he uses to push the additional fuel into the original fuel tank once it is low. I certainly would not want to be in a boat like this as i am sure he doesnt have a blower either. From the setup it looks like he had to take the hose from the second tank and feed it into the fuel inlet on the outside of the boat and then turn the pump on. I would sooner carry a 10 gal container. Or go shorter distances.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We purchased our brand new18 sx190 in August of 18 got a good deal on it. We have 60 hours on it and love it. I have 2 small issues that if i could get some help on it would appreciate it. First we like to cruise and a 100 to 125 mile trip is normal in a day and some times 150-175. We live on the gulf so not a whole lot of fuel stops. I have to carry extra fuel in 5 gallon cans. If i could plumb in an extra 10-12 gallons it would make it so i do not have to refuel. Is there a way to do this? Second is that the seats seem to stain if you look at the wrong. Whats a good way to clean the seats. The boat is stored on a boat lift and is always covered with a Yamaha cover.
I don’t think we have had anyone here install an actual aux tank in these boats, yet. Cans are what most of us use, I considered a fuel bladder at some point but that would require a transfer pump.

As far as vinyl - I would echo the use of 303AP, i use it liberally to the point of saturation. That tends to protect and repel dirt, but the corrugated vinyl is a bit of a pain to maintain in pristine conditions.

Chucksx190

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you everyone. It seems that any bathing suit likes to leave some marks. Even older ones that have been washed a bunch. Also organic stuff like leaves and seaweed leave out lines. I will try and use some of the recommended cleaners and protectors.
For the extra fuel i usually use the ski locker for scuba tanks so that option is out. I was hoping that there was some one who has plumbed in a 12 gallon tank. I have one plumbed into my fxho Jetski but the vapor line is much larger on the boat. I can get around 130-140 miles on the stock tank and when i fill up it will take about 29 gallons. The tank in the boat says 34 gallons on it so I have 4-5 gallons left. I did run it dry once to see how far i could really go and it ran out of fuel at 162 miles. I will carry 2-3 5 gallon containers when i go to the 175 mile mark. At 30ish mph I get about 4.6 mpg if seas are rough that goes down. This boat seems to do okay on fuel around 6300 rpm as soon as you push it past that It starts drinking it fast.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you everyone. It seems that any bathing suit likes to leave some marks. Even older ones that have been washed a bunch. Also organic stuff like leaves and seaweed leave out lines. I will try and use some of the recommended cleaners and protectors.
For the extra fuel i usually use the ski locker for scuba tanks so that option is out. I was hoping that there was some one who has plumbed in a 12 gallon tank. I have one plumbed into my fxho Jetski but the vapor line is much larger on the boat. I can get around 130-140 miles on the stock tank and when i fill up it will take about 29 gallons. The tank in the boat says 34 gallons on it so I have 4-5 gallons left. I did run it dry once to see how far i could really go and it ran out of fuel at 162 miles. I will carry 2-3 5 gallon containers when i go to the 175 mile mark. At 30ish mph I get about 4.6 mpg if seas are rough that goes down. This boat seems to do okay on fuel around 6300 rpm as soon as you push it past that It starts drinking it fast.
Those are some very impressive range numbers!

Not sure if you noticed but the fuel reading (gauge) works different on plane - if you are near empty the low fuel alarm will go off when coming off of plane.

--

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those are some very impressive range numbers!

Not sure if you noticed but the fuel reading (gauge) works different on plane - if you are near empty the low fuel alarm will go off when coming off of the plane.

--
I agree. What kind of water conditions, and cruising speeds are you using to get those numbers?

Chucksx190

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree. What kind of water conditions, and cruising speeds are you using to get those numbers?
I live is SW Florida on the west side. 6300 rpm seems to be the sweet spot for this boat for me. Mph is between 28 and 34mph. I have deleted the ribbon in the intake and it picked up about 200-250rpm. The best speed and mpg seems to be in water with light chop maybe 3-6". Smooth water seems to get a little worse and of course anything over 1 foot cuts down speed and mpg. It is almost exactly the same for my 18 FXHO except the rpms are different on the ski. I have almost 60 hours on the SX190 bought in August and 110 hours on the FXHO bought in march of 2018 both new So i have had alot of time to figure out the best for each, With the 12 gallon aux tank on the Ski I can do over 200 mile trips with out refueling.

Last edited:

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats a good way to clean the seats
We use Vinyl Sauce and Conditioner Sauce by Boat Bling for cleaning and protecting and we'll use a Magic Eraser gently on any stains that don't come off with the sauce. So far so good. Wife says the Vinyl Sauce smells like a latrine cake, though.