• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low Battery alarm after amp install

Kirk 17AR240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replaced all factory speakers and added 2 to the swim deck. I also add a 10" sub and an 800 watt JL Audio amp. I am powering all speakers with the new amp. I now get a low battery alarm after anchoring for 1-1 1/2 hours. Didn't have that problem before so I figured it's the amp. I installed Pro Mariner battery charger and had the same issue last time I went out. The batteries were fully charged before I left. Any ideas?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What type of batteries do you have? If they aren't deep cycle that could be one issue. Do you have pics?

Only the single amp? That amp shouldn't have that much draw. I'm running 3 amps off 2 deep cycle batteries havent had a low battery warning since I got the boat last April.

Can you confirm they were full after you charged them?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have had this alot. It is the draw at a given time. The battery may not be low but if you are listening to it loud and the sub hits it may draw enough at that given time to throw the alarm. I have had it with my engines running before.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmmm, @jcyamaharider how many batteries and what kind do you use? I know you have a robust system as well.

I have nearly 2500k watts, 3 amps (All JL Audio), 2 subs, etc and my batteries haven't thrown me a low battery signal yet, even when I have heavy bass.

With only one amp, especially if its a M800/8 then it shouldn't draw that much....the technical guys can chime in, but those have been very efficient for me.

My guess is that its a start battery that just dont hold a full charge.

@Kirk 17AR240 how long can you play for before you get low battery?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hmmmm, @jcyamaharider how many batteries and what kind do you use? I know you have a robust system as well.

I have nearly 2500k watts, 3 amps (All JL Audio), 2 subs, etc and my batteries haven't thrown me a low battery signal yet, even when I have heavy bass.

With only one amp, especially if its a M800/8 then it shouldn't draw that much....the technical guys can chime in, but those have been very efficient for me.

Not this boat....last boat. This boat has 2 group 29 in parallel.

2 group 29 on last boat as well. Eventually I bought all class d amps and brand new batteries and it stopped.

I think if the OP is running the group 24 battery then this may be the problem.

Kirk 17AR240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What type of batteries do you have? If they aren't deep cycle that could be one issue. Do you have pics?

Only the single amp? That amp shouldn't have that much draw. I'm running 3 amps off 2 deep cycle batteries havent had a low battery warning since I got the boat last April.

Can you confirm they were full after you charged them?
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check to see what batteries I have. They are the original batteries that were installed when I bought the boat new. Yeah...I only have that one 800 watt JL Audio amp. They were fully charged last time I took it out. The ProMariner showed them fully charged. I'll check to make sure they are deep cycle next time I take it out of storage.

Kirk 17AR240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I can play for 1 1/2 hour before the low battery alarm. I'll need to check to see what batteries the dealer installed and replace with deep cycle if they aren't. I didn't even think to see what type of batteries they installed. I figured they were only 1 year old & should be good but no telling how cheap they went on the batteries.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If theyre not deep cycle then they will not hold the same charge as they do when they were new, the starting bateries arent made to be discharged fully as the deep cycle batteries are, so even though they show fully charged, you might only have 70% capacity.

Im sure if you swap to a group 29 deep cycle battery you will have enough juice.

I have 3 amps and two house batteries....Im adding a 4th amp, another 800/8 and will see if that requires a 3rd house battery.

Should be a easy fix with the right battery swamp.

Kirk 17AR240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If theyre not deep cycle then they will not hold the same charge as they do when they were new, the starting bateries arent made to be discharged fully as the deep cycle batteries are, so even though they show fully charged, you might only have 70% capacity.

Im sure if you swap to a group 29 deep cycle battery you will have enough juice.

I have 3 amps and two house batteries....Im adding a 4th amp, another 800/8 and will see if that requires a 3rd house battery.

Should be a easy fix with the right battery swamp.
Great! Thanks for the input.

Kirk 17AR240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well...you guys were right! The dealer put a starting battery in the boat for the house battery. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the dealer would do that. I replaced with a deep cell & had no problems out on the water yesterday. Thanks for your help! It was an easy fix lol.