• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low voltage disconnect saved our 12 hour day on the water and $500 of batteries!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have an unusual dual battery setup which includes a BlueSeas LVD on our boat. We also have a refrigerator which consumes 1Ah per hour.

We left the refrigerator running with one battery switched on for the tow home from Bimini. That battery ran down to 12.1 volts which is roughly 50% so it was disconnected by the LVD. I switched to the second battery when I flushed the engines and washed the boat. Then we tucked her away in the garage and plugged in the onboard charger.

Early Saturday we headed out to the lake to take family out for lunch then friends for dinner and fireworks. Fourteen people were planning to enjoy our boat that day between the two groups. The boat had been plugged in for days so we expected the batteries to be charged.

After launching @Rana called to tell me that the accessory switches would not light up. The engines are not connected to the LVD so they continue to start and operate even after the LVD has cut power to the house circuit(s).

After getting to the boat I confirmed that the LVD had tripped and both batteries were discharged to 50%. We picked up our family members and headed out to an island. During that run one of the batteries charged from 12.1 volts to 12.3. We used some of that charge to inflate a paddle board and cool the refrigerator down while hanging out with the morning group. I also changed the disconnect voltage from 12.1 (50%) to 11.7 (30%). I discovered that the power wire for the onboard charger had come loose from it's crimped on connector. I soldered it into place so that will not happen again.

We boated back to the marina and swapped guests then headed to a cove near where the evenings fireworks would be. We enjoyed music, a cold refrigerator, chart plotting and as the evening approached we turned on the LED Cupholders. We only used one battery keeping the second in reserve.

We enjoyed a great day on the water. The LVD saved us from having two fully discharged batteries and likely having to buy replacments. Starting the day with a 50% charge was not optimal but was so much better than if the engines had failed to crank! For our guests it was just a normal day on the water.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm installing mine this week. Just need to order the cables and wires tomorrow.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As an update my batteries are still going strong almost three years later with more than five years on the batteries.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce
my F350 diesel sits for weeks at a time and the batteries get weak and it needs a jump to start it, (not the issue at your house, that was the starter going bad which has been replaced)
Do you think a LVD help in that situation?

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas, a LVD would help in that it would prevent the battery dropping to a level that would harm it.

But a trickle charger left connected to the battery would be a better and less expensive solution.

If that battery is discharging to the point that it will not start the engine it likely is discharging deeply enough to damage the battery. The battery being damaged may be a factor in the reoccurrence.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What motor is in your F350? I only ask because jump starting certain year F350”s is a Really bad idea due to the damage it can cause some of the electronic components. Personally get a battery tender and just plug it in when it’s going to sit.