• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lowering the Engine Noise Level

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Recently the wife and I took a trip with the family to Ono Island Al, and while there had the pleasure of riding on the home owners center console with a Yamaha outboard on it. I was blown away by how quiet the motor was. I honestly thought there was a smaller trolling motor that was powering the boat as we were slowly cruising along and was in utter shock to find out, no, thats the actual motor that running. Sadly, this has become a peeve of mine now as we take out the trusty jet boat and are cruising along at speeds where we cannot even hear the radio or have to throttle down just to have a conversation. The wife and I honestly spend the majority of the time with the boat off and just sitting on it as the flow of water takes us down the TN River so the noise is not a big deal at that time. @swatski I know I have seen a conversation between yourself and someone else in regards to using a garage door seal along the engine hatch lid but I cant seem to find it now. Has anyone else had any notable success in somewhat quelling the engine noise or at least bringing it down a notch or two?

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Waiting for replies as i wanna deaden that sound too.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I see alot of sound deadening foam in those pics of his also. I went through his posts to see if he had one about that mod addition to no avail. Mine came stock with "some" but not like that looks.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I installed the sound down kit from jet boat pilot and it did a lot. Still have leftover pieces and plan on doing the sides of the engine bay. It was a good bit louder because i had my soundproofing fall out. There are tons of install threads to search!

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The 82 db was at 8,000 rpm on a mr-1 doing about 35. Low profile windows as well

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
In case it interests you... I did soundproofing on my Scarab 165. PLENTY of info AND measured results can be found here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/scarab-165-mods.17479/page-2

Start at post #34 onwards. Actual results are at post 39.

In short, managed to reduce the decibel levels half 10db which is about equal to a HALVING of noise levels as perceived by the human ear. 3db is an actual drop of half the energy, but apparently you need about 10db so a person perceives it as half the noise. I can now listen to music and such while underway.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Recently the wife and I took a trip with the family to Ono Island Al, and while there had the pleasure of riding on the home owners center console with a Yamaha outboard on it. I was blown away by how quiet the motor was. I honestly thought there was a smaller trolling motor that was powering the boat as we were slowly cruising along and was in utter shock to find out, no, thats the actual motor that running. Sadly, this has become a peeve of mine now as we take out the trusty jet boat and are cruising along at speeds where we cannot even hear the radio or have to throttle down just to have a conversation. The wife and I honestly spend the majority of the time with the boat off and just sitting on it as the flow of water takes us down the TN River so the noise is not a big deal at that time. @swatski I know I have seen a conversation between yourself and someone else in regards to using a garage door seal along the engine hatch lid but I cant seem to find it now. Has anyone else had any notable success in somewhat quelling the engine noise or at least bringing it down a notch or two?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
In case it interests you... I did soundproofing on my Scarab 165. PLENTY of info AND measured results can be found here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/scarab-165-mods.17479/page-2

In short, managed to reduce the decibel levels half 10db which is about equal to a HALVING of noise levels as perceived by the human ear. 3db is an actual drop of half the energy, but apparently you need about 10db so a person perceives it as half the noise. I can now listen to music and such while underway.
Love that man! I need heavier shocks as well now. Mine don't exactly do the job anymore with all the weight!

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I ordered some of the duck garage seal to start. Shall see how well that does alone and go from there.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

That’s great!
Along the same lines, I have about 25 cans of polyurethane foam injected inside various hull voids and more memory foam in large voids than a small mattress store, lol!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@swatski I think I over did it with 120lbs per spring though.... lol I think in my case, 100 MAYBE 110 would have been enough. Probably 100lbs. My hatch now pops open SUPER quick and needs a decent amount of pressure to close. I may buy weaker ones at a later date.

Suppose to have been @Speedling lol But @swatski yeah, I feel like doing that but can't bring myself to doing it. It would suck in the case of the 165 to run electrical or whatever in the future.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How did you put the rubber sealer around the hatch? Was it all in one piece, or did you cut into sections? I recieved mine last week, but just pulling it out of the box it seemed like it would be tough to keep it in one piece by yourself without it potentially getting glue places you didn't want it. (Admittedly I am not great with stuff like this, so if you have any egine hatch sealing for dummies advice I am all ears).

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
How did you put the rubber sealer around the hatch? Was it all in one piece, or did you cut into sections? I recieved mine last week, but just pulling it out of the box it seemed like it would be tough to keep it in one piece by yourself without it potentially getting glue places you didn't want it. (Admittedly I am not great with stuff like this, so if you have any egine hatch sealing for dummies advice I am all ears).
@swatski has a good little pic on which way to face it and where to put the glue here.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/another-soundproofing-thread-the-raamat-experience.11872/post-204592

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I saved the picture. The stuff is kind of flimsy, and just trying to lay it out without any glue I couldn't figure out how to make it all the way around by yourself without any issues. I was hoping if there were any tricks or tips for dummies someone could share.
I had a similar seal and used brush on contact cement so i could stick a bit at a time. I cut into 3 pieces

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just to get back to @jjmparsons origional concern...The jets are noiser for a couple of reasons. First most of the horsepower, thusly its speed, is generated at the higher rpm range. Secondly inboards are enclosed within the boat so sound and vibration as not dissipated to the atmosphere like outboards. Last but not least you are comparing your twin engine jetboat to a single engine outboard. Yes a twin outboard would still be quieter than our twin inboard. You will have fewer headaches from noise with outboards but you will have more headaches with the initial increased cost and maintenance of the outboards. There is no perfect boat.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The 82 db was at 8,000 rpm on a mr-1 doing about 35. Low profile windows as well
82db is when my shooting earmuffs start damping sound. My new pipes for my harley are only about 10db higher.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I saved the picture. The stuff is kind of flimsy, and just trying to lay it out without any glue I couldn't figure out how to make it all the way around by yourself without any issues. I was hoping if there were any tricks or tips for dummies someone could share.
That's the issue I'm having!