• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lowrance Gen3 Structure Scan 3D

Thomas Calarco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just purchased a new 2016 190 FSH Deluxe and it’s still at the dealer getting rigged. Ordered the boat with a Lowrance 9” Gen 3 Structurescan 3D, 80” Motorguide Xi5 w/quick disconnect, on board charger, and center console organizer from Jet Boatpilot.

I was informed by my dealer that the Structurescan 3D can only be rigged with one transducer. The unit is unable to accept a transducer on both sides of the transom. So, for those of you who already have your boat on the water, do you think that one transducer can produce a clear image on both sides of the boat?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was told you had to have 2 transducers for that unit for the 3D. 1 transducer will do the normal functions and then another just for the 3D. That's what I was told at least. I went with humminbird because they have the only unit with everything in 1 transducer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Thomas Calarco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies.

The 3D transducer is two in one. The single transducer has two connectors that are plugged into the 3D module, which is then fed into the Lowrance Gen 3 unit. One connector feeds the 3D imaging and the other feeds the 2D down and side imaging. The Lowrance Gen 3 allows you to switch between 3D and 2D depending on preference or application.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK you had me going @Thomas Calarco I called Lowrance last year about this and they told me I needed 2 transducers for 3D. The new totalscan transducer was announced in December last year after I had my boat so I guess it can be done. The bigger issue will be if the sidescan will clear the keel. I know I couldn't see both sides because the rudder and keel would block the signal to one side so I added a 2nd transducer to see both sides with no interference and humminbird was the only one to offer this.

Thomas Calarco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for your feedback. My dealer did offer switching to the Hummingbird Helix 9 so that I could have due transducers but I decided against it. I said no for three reasons: I want it flush mounted in the center console, I want the 3D structure scan, and I want it to run the motor guide Xi5. I hope I didn't make a bad decision.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I'm not sure about 2 of those but I do have 3d sidescan which was the whole reason I needed 2 transducers. I also have 3d downscan, switchfire and a bunch of other stuff I'll never use.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I am curious did you get your boat at Anderson Marine in Tennessee? I only ask because they asked me the other day about the same exact setup.

Thomas Calarco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Billy, I am getting my boat from Anderson Marine. Did you buy from Anderson Marine? What is your thoughts on the set up?

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yes I got my boat from Anderson Marine and there is another guy on these boards up at Barren River who bought his boat from Anderson. With these being such new boats we are blazing the trails with what works and what does not.

I went with the Helix 9 and a riptide Minn Kota ST for my boat and been pretty happy with it so far. Taking mine down to Florida in a few weeks for my first salt water experience in it. You can check out my album to see all the work I have done and changes that I have made. https://jetboaters.net/media/users/billy-marlin.3562/albums

You may consider my setup since you can run dual transducers for left and right side imaging. So far the best I can get mine to read is up to 28mph with the dual transducers and everyone using side scan on here is using dual transducers. I went up to the helix 9 so my unit would connect with my trolling motor and love the spot lock features. I can drive over something and mark it then tell the trolling motor to take me back to the spot and it will. Now that I got my ipilot talking with my trolling motor can't wait to use the follow the contour feature. My GPS is on a ram mount so I can actually spin it around and view it anywhere on the boat which I really like.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If you want to check out my setup I will be home all weekend you are welcome to come by and check it out. I am just off the pleasant view exit off I-24 about 30 minutes away from Anderson Marine. Can show you what the helix 9 looks like and how the ipilot works and communicates with my trolling motor.

Thomas Calarco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Billy,

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately, I will be out of town this weekend. I return on the 23rd and may try to set up a time to meet. Awesome pictures of your modifications. After reviewing your pics and the responses from everyone on this forum I feel much better prepared for ownership.
I am familiar with Hummingbird, had one on my last boat. I am also very familiar with the Minn Kota Ipilot St, had one on my Panga saltwater boat. If Anderson Marine is unable to find a position for the transducer, I will definitely consider switching to your setup.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
You are welcome to stop by through the week as well would be glad to help anyone else purchasing one of these boats. Usually don't get home until after 6pm except on Tuesday and Wednesday's I work from home so there all day. Will probably be around the 23rd depending on the weather with it getting nicer might head down to the lake that weekend.

Joey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wahoo!!! Just had my GO7 XSE w/ Totalscan transducer installed this past weekend! Perfect unit for this type of boat and waters I'm traveling in. Looking to do some additional mods, probably swapping out radio with the Simrads sonichub2 unit and putting in vhf where radio is now. Also trying to find a way of connecting the 1.8L Yamaha marine engines CPU to the GO7 via nmea 2000 but I don't think it's possible. Still researching and will confirm back if I find anything new out.

Attachments

bgruhn76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nice, I really like the Simrad Go7 unit. Did you use the supplied transom mount ducer? I'd be interested to know about the 1.8 link as well.

Joey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

tdkdgray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Joey, nice install. Can you post pics of the Totalscan transducer installation? Where is it located on the hull?

Joey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Joey, nice install. Can you post pics of the Totalscan transducer installation? Where is it located on the hull?
Here you go! Sorry about the angle.

Attachments

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'd love to get an update from you guys on your, "on the water" experience with the large transducers. I just purchased the boat and have a elite seven TI that I plan to hook up to it but would love to see how side scan and everything is working for you guys on the jet boat. Thanks

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My humminbird sidescan and structure scan works great on my boat. I was able to locate a fishing rod someone dropped in 30' of water. Also saw some roads underwater that are still there from when they flooded the area to make the reservoir. Real cool.

Edit. Just a note. I did use 2 transducers to get a real clear sidescan picture. The starboard transducer does all the standard downscans, temp and starboard sidescan, the port transducer is just used for sidescan to the port side. The jet wash and rudder blocked too much of the sidescan to use just one transducer.

Last edited: