• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lowrance HDS Live 7 on 2019 SX195

natty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven't seen much love on here for Lowrance installs. Yes I know they are the same company as Simrad but I've found the latest units from Simrad (go5 and go7) are not nearly as featureful as the HDS live series mostly due to the fact that I think Simrad go units are due for some updates... notably for me to bring the live sonar features to the go units.
With the constrained dashboard space on the 19 foot Yamaha's the wider HDS 7 fit in a better place than the somewhat taller Simrad go7 I was looking at. While I did like the more streamlined look of the go7 I don't mind the buttons on the HDS nor do I mind that it sticks out a little more in the dash mount. As a part of the install, I did have to cut a bit of fiberglass, but only three small places (1-2" cut upper left and right corners and a longer 6-8" cut on the bottom) as the connext screen original position already had a broader cutout. Hope this helps out someone else in the same spot as I was in determining which upgraded electronics they want on their boat.

Attachments

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That looks really good.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very clean install!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Any plotter unit will do the trick...I chose Raymarine mainly because it was the right price, $200 cheaper than any other 7" display when they were on sale. As long as it looks good and clean and does what you need, brands don't really matter.
:winkingthumbsup"

natty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any plotter unit will do the trick...I chose Raymarine mainly because it was the right price, $200 cheaper than any other 7" display when they were on sale. As long as it looks good and clean and does what you need, brands don't really matter.
:winkingthumbsup"
Couldn't agree more sir. I was posting this more so people could see that the unit I selected actually fit well in the dash as some of them are awfully close on fit. The features and price point I saw in my unit was unique to me, but in all honesty almost all of the plotters are about on par with each other in terms of features with very few exceptions... most of which won't matter to most people ;-)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't seen much love on here for Lowrance installs. Yes I know they are the same company as Simrad but I've found the latest units from Simrad (go5 and go7) are not nearly as featureful as the HDS live series mostly due to the fact that I think Simrad go units are due for some updates... notably for me to bring the live sonar features to the go units.
With the constrained dashboard space on the 19 foot Yamaha's the wider HDS 7 fit in a better place than the somewhat taller Simrad go7 I was looking at. While I did like the more streamlined look of the go7 I don't mind the buttons on the HDS nor do I mind that it sticks out a little more in the dash mount. As a part of the install, I did have to cut a bit of fiberglass, but only three small places (1-2" cut upper left and right corners and a longer 6-8" cut on the bottom) as the connext screen original position already had a broader cutout. Hope this helps out someone else in the same spot as I was in determining which upgraded electronics they want on their boat.
Looks awesome!!!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Excellent work.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
the unit I selected actually fit well in the dash as some of them are awfully close on fit.
This was an issue for me too...I downloaded the installation templates from the GO7, Axiom 7, and Garmin 742, and the narrowest model was the Garmin, but it was also the widest and centering it was of concern to me for a clean look. @suke gets credit for doing this first on our model boats (thanks again!) and as it turned out the Axiom had the best sale price and easy to locate here in Canada. After using Garmins in the past in cars and boats, the Axiom was a bit different but really the same basic features and turns out it can do much more - wish we had native NMEA2k for data on our boats.

Anywho, feels much better having a chartplotter of any type there full-time when boating in new waters. Can't wait for this Covid crap to end so we can go exploring through the 1000 islands on the USA side which is somewhat more scenic and visitor friendly with all the scenic sites, bars, and restaurants available. We moved here a few years ago and haven't had a chance to cross the border with the boat yet due to Covid.
:mad:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This was an issue for me too...I downloaded the installation templates from the GO7, Axiom 7, and Garmin 742, and the narrowest model was the Garmin, but it was also the widest and centering it was of concern to me for a clean look. @suke gets credit for doing this first on our model boats (thanks again!) and as it turned out the Axiom had the best sale price and easy to locate here in Canada. After using Garmins in the past in cars and boats, the Axiom was a bit different but really the same basic features and turns out it can do much more - wish we had native NMEA2k for data on our boats.

Anywho, feels much better having a chartplotter of any type there full-time when boating in new waters. Can't wait for this Covid crap to end so we can go exploring through the 1000 islands on the USA side which is somewhat more scenic and visitor friendly with all the scenic sites, bars, and restaurants available. We moved here a few years ago and haven't had a chance to cross the border with the boat yet due to Covid.
:mad:
I chose my Axiom due to price, and also with navionics maps which I was already used to.

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Nice!

Texas347

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very well done! I’m mounting the Elite FS7 tomorrow on my new 195SX. Can you share where you pulled power from? I cannot seem to locate anything behind the console. I’ve searched a bit on here as well but couldn’t find solution. Would love some help!!!

natty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very well done! I’m mounting the Elite FS7 tomorrow on my new 195SX. Can you share where you pulled power from? I cannot seem to locate anything behind the console. I’ve searched a bit on here as well but couldn’t find solution. Would love some help!!!
I just put a split on my cigarette plug. I rarely use that thing and when I do I just flip off the unit just in case. The right thing to do would be run a new line from the battery but that seemed like a hassle to me when there was a perfectly good and almost wholly unused wire there. I’ve also seen others leverage the horn 12v line as that also goes mostly unused.

Texas347

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks man - I wondered if that outlet would support the load - sounds like it does. Easy to do too. Appreciate it man. Looking forward to modding this thing.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just put a split on my cigarette plug.
I did the same thing since I don't use mine and it was quick and easy. But I think I'll try to find an unused switched 12v plug behind the dash this spring instead. I don't use my plotter for fishing so I'd rather have it turn on/off with the engine keys. Right now the plotter fires up when I turn on the battery switches, and stays on. When docked for lunch or anchored, I have to power off the plotter manually. Not a big deal, but if I can make it automatic with the engine keys like my Connext screen, I'd rather have do that.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks man - I wondered if that outlet would support the load - sounds like it does. Easy to do too. Appreciate it man. Looking forward to modding this thing.
:Welcome:
12v sockets like this typically have 5 or 10 amp fuses so plenty for a plotter at 2 amps or less. Car 12v sockets are typically 15 amp to heat a cigarette lighter.

xtreme96gs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the same thing since I don't use mine and it was quick and easy. But I think I'll try to find an unused switched 12v plug behind the dash this spring instead. I don't use my plotter for fishing so I'd rather have it turn on/off with the engine keys. Right now the plotter fires up when I turn on the battery switches, and stays on. When docked for lunch or anchored, I have to power off the plotter manually. Not a big deal, but if I can make it automatic with the engine keys like my Connext screen, I'd rather have do that.
Did you ever rewire to a switched source? Currently working on mine and trying to decide what wire to use. I’m thinking yellow with red strip but haven’t pulled out the multimeter to confirm

natty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you ever rewire to a switched source? Currently working on mine and trying to decide what wire to use. I’m thinking yellow with red strip but haven’t pulled out the multimeter to confirm
Nope, it’s still running strong on the cigarette lighter plug I split.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I tried to find a 12v source without splicing but no luck with the unused plugs, so it's still running off the 12v socket. No big deal turning it off manually once in a while.

xtreme96gs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just did my wiring this weekend.. the 3rd plug over on the connext screen, that just has a single red and black wires.. I found the red one to be powered only when the key is in the on position. Hooked my switched wire into that and seems to be doing fine

Attachments