• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ls2000 engine not running at full capacity

engine runs slower in water than out of water

• frostappraisal@gmail.com

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • frostappraisal@gmail.com

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Robert Frost

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have a 2001 LS2000 jet boat with twin 1200 2 stroke engines. One engine runes fine out of the water but when in the water, it only goes to about 4000 RPMs and than will shut down. I replaced the spark plugs, CDI and the stater but I still have the same problem, The compression is all three cylinders is at 115 to 120 psi. I have changed the fuel filter. The other engine works fine. Does anyone know what I might do? Thanks. Robert in Arizona

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sounds like a compression issue but you said that was good.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Maybe the reeds?

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Or carbs.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I vote for fuel starve too.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like a cooling system problem potentially. If the coolant sensor triggers, it will limit the rpm's to ~3500 RPM's. The exhaust chamber is known for getting clogged and may need to be cleaned out. There are 3 holes that can clog up with sediment. You can feel the exhaust (blue) and compare to the working engine or use an IR thermometer (harbor freight = cheap) and compare the temp between engines.

See my post here when I had a similar problem: https://jetboaters.net/threads/cleaning-out-the-cooling-system.3671/page-2

Otherwise, it can be a host of things like carbs/fuel since running under load (in the water) is very different than running out of the water.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pull the choke as is about to die. If rpms go up for an instant before shut down it is likely fuel.

When was the last time you cleaned the carbs?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have rebuilt 4 rotax 2 stroke engines 8 mikuni carbs. After rebuild on one engine I just could not get proper power and throttle response out of and determined it to be the carbs. No matter what I did I could not get the carbs to deliver the proper fuel and air mix even when I did I get the pop off perfect on my bench with the same jets as on my other carbs. I bought brand new carbs for that engine and the problem was solved.

@4x15mph has a solid recommendation as well.

One more thing to check it that the gear oil pump is working and the oil lines are not clogged. You will quickly end up with a FUBAR engine if not getting oil.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also would buy new carbs from mikuni vs rebuilding. My 720 had single carb at $200 so it was an easy call instead of rebuilding. I added a spin on fuel filter water separator and never had to deal with this problem since installed. I did sell the boat, but I was impressed at how the filter preserved the carb.

Robert Frost

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did rebuild the carbs back a year or so ago but maybe I missed something. The engine has 3 carbs. I may check the cooling system first.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, when is the last time you ran the boat before these new issues? If its like a year or two or more - your carbs are all gelled up, no question about it.

EDIT: Sorry - I see you already addressed that!

--

Robert Frost

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Maybe it is a cooling issue. I will look into that. But I have been back to the lake 3 or 4 times to test the boat and I do not even have to take the boat off the trailer to test the engine. I just back the boat into the water to test the engine. Is just does not do well in the water even before it has had time to warm up unless it gets warm right away and the sensor is what is keeping it from going over 4000 RPMS. But would the sensor not register if I were testing the engine dry without water for 10 seconds or so? Or when I hook the hose to the engine and run the engine at home with water running through the cooling system, shouldn't the sensor do the same thing off the lake? Thanks for all the help. Robert in Arizona

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree based on your info that it may not be cooling. You can pull out the sensor and Test it in boiling water or you could switch sensors between the 2 engines.

When i had an issue with RPMs on 1 engine, I swapped the carb racks between the 2 engines which wasn’t hard. Just required new gaskets and as it turned out, it wasn't the carbs. It was cooling

Last edited:

Yamatuf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Sounds like you have a pecking list, great input group.
1. Sensor
2. blockage
3. plug wires / you may have a broken/ fatigues wire. if original I would definitely replace all six
4. Carbs ? just rebuilt, are settings correct?
5. Maybe swap your ebox to make sure it's not electrical/bad cdi or wire even though you replaced?

Jet ski solutions can make new wires and rebuilt carbs. - he did a great job on mine.

Robert Frost

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks again for your suggestions. I did swap the CDI from the good engine with the one from the bad engine but it did not make any difference. I have spark to all six spark plugs so I did not think it would be the wires. But if you suggest it, I may go ahead and swap out or buy new ones. Is there another way to test? I can check the carbs again. I am just getting tired of all work and no play with this boat since it has not been working well for the last few month.

Yamatuf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Download the ls manual, it explains how to check the ohms for the plug wires and sensor. If they are original it may be the root of the problem. You could switch / swap the complete ebox out or just swap out the coil packs. You will have to open both eboxes to just switch coils. My old original wires were faulting out, decaying and causing similar issues. They wires will fail as more power is requested. I believe there is a way to override the heat sensor for testing purposes.

Jetskisolutions can fix them in a jiffy, plus you get to pick a color.

Robert Frost

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks again. As you may see, I am new to this site. Where might I go to down load the manual?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Robert - PM me with your email address

Juan Mejia

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Hi folks, I'm having the same issue. I need all the help I can.

Juan Mejia

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
It sounds like a cooling system problem potentially. If the coolant sensor triggers, it will limit the rpm's to ~3500 RPM's. The exhaust chamber is known for getting clogged and may need to be cleaned out. There are 3 holes that can clog up with sediment. You can feel the exhaust (blue) and compare to the working engine or use an IR thermometer (harbor freight = cheap) and compare the temp between engines.

See my post here when I had a similar problem: https://jetboaters.net/threads/cleaning-out-the-cooling-system.3671/page-2

Otherwise, it can be a host of things like carbs/fuel since running under load (in the water) is very different than running out of the water.
Hi. Where are these 3 holes?