• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LS2000 steering upgrade

Yamatuf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I am planning to remove the steering box in my boat and review the mechanism guts, I am assuming it has 2 gears. I would like to redesign the gear box to provide more leverage/turning capability then what is all ready given, plus there is a lot of backlash in the steering wheel. I was going to machine or buy new gears. Power steering would be nice!!!!!

Has anyone had these apart? Has anyone upgraded thier steering in some fashion to make it easier to steer?
My two daughters, 17 & 19 complain about how much pressure/ force it takes to turn the wheel. My right arm also takes a beating after a long weekend of wakeboarding or tubing the kids.

Any suggestions, thoughts?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The backlash could be from the connection of the steering cable to the nozzle. There is supposed to be a plastic bushing that has failed and fallen out on most of these boats. So there is a lot of slop in the connection.

Being hard to turn is probably from corrosion in the steering cables. Some have had success getting oil in them others replace them.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You should be able to turn the nozzles from behind the boat on the trailer with your hand ,if they resist turning you may need new cables or your helm is just worn out those are not made to be serviceable but that does not prevent you from redesigning it so you can.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree - these boats turn on a dime and are easy to steer. I would definitely look at your steering cables as @Cobra Jet Steering LLC recommended. Yamaha makes a good yamalube that I use on the exposed ends of the cables to keep them moving smoothly. You could have a kinked or problem cable....

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Some of the backlash will always exist due to the way the water leaves the jet. When going straight there is space between the jet of water and the nozzle. As you turn it takes some rotation to make contact with the nozzle and the water jet.

It’s going on o feel sloppy. Embrace the sloppy. It should be easy to turn when there is no throttle though.

alfredo03261985

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
HELP!!

has anyone replace their steering helm? does any one know which aftermarket model fits? the oem is on backorder. is it 135 or 270 degree