• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lucky 13 need yamabond?

fizbone36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just got my lucky 13 cone for my 19 AR195 and noticed some kind of liquid gasket around the housing you need to remove to access the cone. So is yamabond required to reseal this area?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got my lucky 13 cone for my 19 AR195 and noticed some kind of liquid gasket around the housing you need to remove to access the cone. So is yamabond required to reseal this area?
Some people use blue RV silicone between the pump segments, but it is not required AFAIK.

You do need to swap the rubber o-ring (from the OEM cone base).

--

Last edited:
Reactions: Gym

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The manual at least for my boat calls for Loctite anerobic gasket maker between the Venturi and the pump. I used the permatex version which seemed to work well. Permatex® Anaerobic Gasket Maker - Permatex
Which two parts are we talking about here? Anyone have an exploded view (or can point me to where I can find one)

I didn't use any sealant or gasket on my pump when installing the L13 Cone. Is that bad?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which two parts are we talking about here? Anyone have an exploded view (or can point me to where I can find one)

I didn't use any sealant or gasket on my pump when installing the L13 Cone. Is that bad?
You are fine, I don;t think it matters if parts are in good shape and you still have the dowels and everything aligns perfectly. This stuff can go between venturi and stator segment - this is the high pressure comparmtnet of the pump and it is not going to make any difference as long as he parts fit, and then between stator segment and the wear ring - you are not going to suck any air there if the parts fit, I don;t think.
The problem can be taking those apart can be an issue if your sealant goo works too well.

--

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree it'll be fine. I'm assuming it's more of a seal to keep the mating surfaces protected against corrosion.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure I had my bases covered there. I'm on the back side of my second season with the cone and have confirmed good numbers with the forum a couple times.

I still need to make some adjustments and do some testing. Maybe I'll have free time again in a few seasons when the baby doesn't require 110% of our attention.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I will add my 2 cents here. I am right in the middle of a full pump rebuild due to a failed rear bearing on the port side (the one underneath the L13 cone). I am not 100% sure what happened, but the problem was definitely caused by water intrusion removing the grease under the cone. It looks as if the O-ring failed, which could've been a defect, or my own fault during installation. In any case, I believe a sealant (which I did not apply) would've at the very least extended the time to failure, and best case may have prevented it all together. I will be applying something under the cone when I reassemble, for sure.

Mac’nCheese

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all,
I did the install back in May (as well as replaced the impeller), and used the online service manual as reference for the greases and sealants needed. Yeah, it's the 2018 manual, but I believe the sealants are the same. Just be aware that for 2019 the housing is now a 2 piece design instead of the 3 piece design as shown in the manual.

Permatex can also be used in place of Loctite many times. Below is a cross reference from Loctite to Permatex. I was able to find some of the Permatex in larger, cheaper bottles at my local auto parts stores.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will add my 2 cents here. I am right in the middle of a full pump rebuild due to a failed rear bearing on the port side (the one underneath the L13 cone). I am not 100% sure what happened, but the problem was definitely caused by water intrusion removing the grease under the cone. It looks as if the O-ring failed, which could've been a defect, or my own fault during installation. In any case, I believe a sealant (which I did not apply) would've at the very least extended the time to failure, and best case may have prevented it all together. I will be applying something under the cone when I reassemble, for sure.
That's a very good point, don't see how the Permatex could hurt there from everything I tried to read now.

Thank you, @Spooling and @Mac'nCheese.
Found on amazon, I will be using this whenever I service the pumps again.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all,
I did the install back in May (as well as replaced the impeller), and used the online service manual as reference for the greases and sealants needed. Yeah, it's the 2018 manual, but I believe the sealants are the same. Just be aware that for 2019 the housing is now a 2 piece design instead of the 3 piece design as shown in the manual.

Permatex can also be used in place of Loctite many times. Below is a cross reference from Loctite to Permatex. I was able to find some of the Permatex in larger, cheaper bottles at my local auto parts stores.

Quick, slightly unrelated question.

Do you pay for access to those manuals or is it free? Are they downloadable once purchased? I'm considering buying a complete printed manual, but would love to have a PDF copy on my phone for quick access at other times.

TIA

Mac’nCheese

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did not pay for those. The 2016-2018 manuals are available online for free, but for some reason the 2019 manual is currently for purchase only. Unless someone has a copy they’d love to share a link to....

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length