• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lucky 13 starting point

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys;

I'm in the process of installing my Lucky 13 cone on my 2014 AR190. I'll be putting my boat in the water this weekend for the season ideally.

I presume I should start out with all the rings installed as a starting point, as most have suggested? I'm hoping for a best guess, so I don't have take it in and out of the water to tune the rings.

I'm boating at around 900ft elevation if that makes any difference.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ran all last season with all spacers installed iny '17 AR190. No adverse effects. Gonna tune it some this season and see what happens. Probably do a bunch of that while I have spare time on vacation.

I expect very little change honestly, as the initial installation wasn't a quantum leap of capability for me. I tested with a very lightly loaded boat. It wasn't until later in the season when I really loaded the boat down with people and gear that I appreciated it's effects.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2017 AR 195 and I have done some tuning and currently running all 3 spacers with no impact on my overall top speed. I have to say hands down this one of the best mods I have ever done. The cone with all 3 spacers has just about reduced all cavitation. I get one small blip of cavitation when I hammer down the throttle from a dead stop and the boat just launches.

I primarily use the cone to reduce cavitation while using ballast for wake surfing. I'm currently running the custom transom bag 490lbs, center ski locker bag 370lbs and 100lbs of lead bags. The cone allows me to pull the boarder up easily and can easily get on plane.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the 190 I would keep the OEM impeller.
Remember to swap the o-ring.
Oh, there is no question the L13 increases the pump efficiency, when properly tuned. Which could boil down to using the best spacer combination - NO impeller repitching or venturi nozzle boring is required unless you are really trying to squeeze every last bit of efficiency/speed.

I have done it all, and the effort IMO is not worth small gains over what you can achieve with the factory setup plus L13, especially in the 190s. Start with 2 or 3 spacers and adjust accordingly - reduce spacers if RPM is low, add spacers if RPM is high - one does not want to be hitting rev limiter at about 7,800.

I've had best results with it using OEM impellers.

--

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the info guys. I've got the cone on with the o-ring swapped from the old cone and with my new epnoc grease. It was a bit of bugger to get the cone on with the seal and the trapped air.

I guess I'll go with all the rings installed and see if I get, "Lucky".

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you guys made any other mods to your boats? I was looking at getting the lucky 13 cone but description mentions enlarging the venturi, and I didn’t want to get into that.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you guys made any other mods to your boats? I was looking at getting the lucky 13 cone but description mentions enlarging the venturi, and I didn’t want to get into that.
I tested those things to death, including boring the venturi opening, repitching, various impellers, spacers etc.
By far the best results (in a 1.8 single) were with the OEM impeller, as those have the longest blades. Boring the venturi helps with epic hole shot but kills speed.
Solas (dynafly?) can be a bit faster, maybe, but then the L13 is not going to help much if you are chasing speed in a non-supercharged 1.8, there just is not enough power, and it would be worse at elevation.

Ribbon delete is good! And see if you get any improvements runnign without a filter (you will not damage anything), if yes - I would consider going with some high performance filter albeit those will make the boat louder.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've not tuned my impeller, or really tuned the L13 on my boat. I did do the ribbon delete. Nothing anywhere close to what @swatski has done. The only "performance" mods I have are the ribbon delete, L13 Cone, and a mostly sealed intake tunnel.

The biggest change in my boats performance is consistency. Before the ribbon delete and L13 I would have cavitation problems and speed problems as load increased. Had one day with 4 adults and 4 kids, all the gear, and two coolers. If I remember right, the best top speed that day was around 35mph or so. After the mods I had an "adults weekend" trip where we had 8 adults, and 3 GIANT coolers on board. It planed well, and got a top speed of almost 40mph.

With the mods, the boat performs almost exactly the same with or without a load. I can have adults, and coolers aboard and still pull a wakeboarder up on a deep water start. It has all the power and "traction" I need to have a good day on the water. They were relatively inexpensive (in terms of performance mods), and have good results. With a light load I can sneak out 42.5-43mph on GPS. With a heavy load that only drops to 39-40mph. Tubing, boarding, and overall cruising have all been improved.

DBMainiac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I was going to start a very similar thread to this today, as my '16 AR192 is going in the water tomorrow for initial assessment and the L13 SHO cone is on the way from RIVA. I'm super glad that @swatski isn't recommending the boring of the venturi nozzle, as I was NOT looking forward to that. I plan on starting with all spacers and seeing how that goes.
For swapping out the O-Ring, does that come with the L13? Or do I need to get a new one from a dealer? And remind me what grease is recommended for this. Thanks guys!

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was going to start a very similar thread to this today, as my '16 AR192 is going in the water tomorrow for initial assessment and the L13 SHO cone is on the way from RIVA. I'm super glad that @swatski isn't recommending the boring of the venturi nozzle, as I was NOT looking forward to that. I plan on starting with all spacers and seeing how that goes.
For swapping out the O-Ring, does that come with the L13? Or do I need to get a new one from a dealer? And remind me what grease is recommended for this. Thanks guys!
The L13 does not come with an O-ring, so you just transfer the O-ring from your current cone to the L13. As for grease I just transferred the grease from the current cone to the new L13. Also on the L13 you will see a little mark T and make sure you align the T with the top screw.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
See here:

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I've had my Lucky 13 on now for a few weeks, with all the rings installed on my AR190. (overall I'm running stock prop, CJ Vipers, Lucky 13) Straight line launching seems good.. I'm not too sure if it's working well in corners though. Maybe with the added restriction of the directional nozzle it may be effecting things, losing more thrust than normal.. Just guessing here....

Has anyone else have any comparable experience when turning the boat?

My boat is in the water all summer, I wish adjusting the Lucky 13 could be done in the water. Anyone have thoughts on this? Not sure if removing the cone tip and rings and reassembling under water would be possible?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I've had my Lucky 13 on now for a few weeks, with all the rings installed on my AR190. (overall I'm running stock prop, CJ Vipers, Lucky 13) Straight line launching seems good.. I'm not too sure if it's working well in corners though. Maybe with the added restriction of the directional nozzle it may be effecting things, losing more thrust than normal.. Just guessing here....

Has anyone else have any comparable experience when turning the boat?

My boat is in the water all summer, I wish adjusting the Lucky 13 could be done in the water. Anyone have thoughts on this? Not sure if removing the cone tip and rings and reassembling under water would be possible?
My experience pump loading much better with l13 so less speed loss in turns.
The spacers can be swapped on a trailer, in the water... not sure. I dropped the bolt once had to buy a new one, but I was only able to do that because my Venturi was ported larger otherwise I couldn’t get my hands inside to grab the cone to pull it off the base.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks swatski. Definitely doesn't sound feasible to do in the water.

Michael-Nash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks swatski. Definitely doesn't sound feasible to do in the water.
I adjusted mine in the water this past weekend. Just be careful not to lose bolt and push hard when putting cone back on to make sure it's flush.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I adjusted mine in the water this past weekend. Just be careful not to lose bolt and push hard when putting cone back on to make sure it's flush.
What's your results? I'm installing mine tomorrow.

Michael-Nash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's your results? I'm installing mine tomorrow.
TBD... haven't had ideal situations to test yet. Put stock cone back on today to test it out and was at 7700 rpm with a top speed of 41 mph with some cavitation when pushing it in the turns. Got the lucky 13 back on and will try it out again to compare.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so maybe there is hope I can tune it without taking the boat out...

Will be interested in hearing what your results are.