• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MAIDEN VOYAGE WAS AWESOME TODAY....AND THEN DISASTER

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I took my 2021 212SE out for her maiden voyage today. Perfect weather, sunny, no wind, water was like glass all day. I was breaking her in so I never went over 30 mph, just fast enough to plane. Those engines were purring. I was the only one on the lake except for numerous fishermen. I was heading back to to the launch which was on the other side of the lake, maybe 6 miles. I came across some buoys that I thought were 5 mph buoys, but by the time I realized my mistake the low depth warning was blazing away, and I was stuck big time. I killed the engines immediately. I couldn't free the boat, so the Sheriff had to pull me off. Once I was free, the port engine started fine. The starboard engine sounded like a gravel mixer, and would crank but not start. So I headed back to the launch on the port engine. After I put it on the trailer, I was amazed the damage was limited. A testament to a well built boat. So my boat has less than 4 hours on it and I'm down to one engine. I'm screwed. Haven't told the wifey yet, and I guess I can kiss my extended warranty goodbye. Any ideas on how to get the rocks and sand out of the pump? Pray for me.....

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that. I’d start by looking at the clean out ports and then to the impeller. Might have to remove a bucket to get a good view. Probably isn’t as bad as you think. The guys in this forum will get you right.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When running 1 engine, I thought you have to clip the waterline so that the non-working engine does not get water intrusion. If I were you, check the oil on the dead engine and make sure no water mixed on it. I would think you need to pull out the impeller of the starboard engine to clear debris, lots of direction in other thread. Good luck, you should invest in chartplotter that would give you depth chart before you even reach the location, its a cheap insurance so that this never happen again.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can sympathize. Bought mine used last year, but literally beached it leaving the guys dock lol. Luckily we’re in sand down here and I had my buddy with me so we were able to shove off. I’ve bent my stupid thrust vector brackets more times than I care to count though...

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that. I’d start by looking at the clean out ports and then to the impeller. Might have to remove a bucket to get a good view. Probably isn’t as bad as you think. The guys in this forum will get you right.
Clean out ports clean as a whistle...Thank you

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
When running 1 engine, I thought you have to clip the waterline so that the non-working engine does not get water intrusion. If I were you, check the oil on the dead engine and make sure no water mixed on it. I would think you need to pull out the impeller of the starboard engine to clear debris, lots of direction in other thread. Good luck, you should invest in chartplotter that would give you depth chart before you even reach the location, its a cheap insurance so that this never happen again.
I read in the owners manual that you can run a single engine at low speeds in an emergency situation. It didn't say anything about pinching off a water line. If that's the case, big problems

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did you go over no wake speed getting back? If that is all you did you could be in decent shape.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
TRuth be told, I didn't use No Wake Mode, but never exceeded 7-8 mph.....we'll see. I'll check for water tomorrow. Either way, I'm screwed.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be positive. If no water, pull the pump, pretty straight forward. Check for damage on the impellor and cleanout any debris.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had something similar happen at very low tide. Once you get the debris out from the pump there is a very very high probability all will be well.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I read in the owners manual that you can run a single engine at low speeds in an emergency situation. It didn't say anything about pinching off a water line. If that's the case, big problems
If you did not rev high then you should be ok but check the oil anyway to be sure. I think you will be fine after clearing impeller.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
If you did not rev high then you should be ok but check the oil anyway to be sure. I think you will be fine after clearing impeller.
It looks pretty straight forward pulling the pump, but I'm still under warranty. I'm probably better off doing it myself. So if there is water in the oil, it's not a matter of pumping it out, the damage is done?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can see into your impellers from the front side under the boat to see what kind of damage may have happened and what may still be in there.
If you got water in the one engine - no the damage is not done and you need to get the oil changed and get it dried out inside ASAP. The longer you let water sit in the engine the worse it will damage it.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
You can see into your impellers from the front side under the boat to see what kind of damage may have happened and what may still be in there.
If you got water in the one engine - no the damage is not done and you need to get the oil changed and get it dried out inside ASAP. The longer you let water sit in the engine the worse it will damage it.
Thanks... I can suck out the crankcase tomorrow, and pull the plugs as well. Thanks for the positive advice!

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It looks pretty straight forward pulling the pump, but I'm still under warranty. I'm probably better off doing it myself. So if there is water in the oil, it's not a matter of pumping it out, the damage is done?
Dont start it until you confirm no water and you should be fine.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Very sorry to hear this. Sickening feeling I’m sure,

I’m with @HangOutdoors. Check the oil to be sure but it’s unlikely you’ve got oil in the engine if you never went more than 7-8 mph. My son (dummy) took my boat out when it was almost new and drove it for 30 minutes and never realized he had to start BOTH engines. No issues.

And definitely pull the pump to check for damage. It’s very easy and there’s lots of threads on how to do this. Hopefully you’ll be able to easily see if there’s any damage to the impeller. Post some pics and we can guide you further.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Clean out ports clean as a whistle...Thank you
Did you try to start the engine when you got back?

Think positive. Maybe the debris fell out on your slow crawl of shame back to he boat launch!

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
That made my guts spin. Hope it all comes out in the end, literally! Fingers crossed for you man.

brokitansky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Extremely small chance you have water in the engine. I took my boat surfing one time a couple years ago. Couldn’t figure out why it was having trouble keeping a good wave with all the ballast bags full. Turns out I forgot to start both engines! But it had no damage. No water at all in the engine. This potential problem gets blown out of proportion a lot on here I’ve noticed.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Extremely small chance you have water in the engine. I took my boat surfing one time a couple years ago. Couldn’t figure out why it was having trouble keeping a good wave with all the ballast bags full. Turns out I forgot to start both engines! But it had no damage. No water at all in the engine. This potential problem gets blown out of proportion a lot on here I’ve noticed.
It is a much bigger issue in salt water.