• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Making my own Traction Mats..

Wavfact

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have a 2000 LS2000 which has a bare deck.. I wanted to buy SeaDek but the price was too high.. Yes, I know there is a group buy right now but I started this project already and going to see it thru..

I used a software called PhotoModeler to get my deck layout.. I did not do a very good job of it. Dimensions were way off but at least it got my over 50% there.. After printing our full scale images in a wide format printer, I test fitted, marked up areas needing fixed and test fitted again, and again.. I pretty much have it near perfect now!

I have a wood shop in my garage with a 4ft x 8ft CNC Router which I plan to use for cutting the mat. I bought my 2 layer EVA material on Amazon, light gray top with black bottom, 6mm thick, each layer is 3mm.. I don't have a vacuum table which is ideal, so plan to use 3" wide painters tape on the adhesive layer, then use double sided carpet tape to hold it down to my table.. I do this method all the time when machining thin plastics so this should work.. Using the painters tape so I can remove the carpet tape without destroying the adhesive backing.

I reproduced the "Naked Feet Only" graphic for the swim platform and also going to cut the YAMAHA logo on the ski locker. Not going to machine lines, just a 1/4" black border around all pieces, the material I have has a brushed texture on the surface. Should look good when I am done (I hope!). I will post more in this thread as I progress..

Will take 4 sheets to do the boat.. Possible 3, thinking of breaking up the footwells to a 2 piece design, doing it one piece will cause me to use a 4th sheet.. ugh I am making 2 cooler tops (Yeti 35L) as well to match the boat design

The material I bought is from Amazon for $72 a sheet

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png

Screenshot3.png

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
very cool...

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you know what type/size bit you'll use or any idea on feed rates or rpm? I also have a CNC table and would love to do this on my AR230. I love the Seadek look but not the Seadek price and I generally like doing stuff myself. It will take 4 sheets to do my boat with some material left over.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a killer DIY project. Hope to see the finished work.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, youve got access to some great tools.

I cut out my own traction mats on a previous boat years ago. It really brought that boat to life. One thing that I learned is that since the traction mat that I was using had a diamond cut pattern on it, I needed to cut out all of the pieces with the diamond pattern running the same direction. Otherwise it wouldn’t look right once laid onto the boat. Also, I used simple templates that I made out of poster board, traced with a sharpie (onto the backside of the mat, then I cut it out with a simple razor blade. I was able to actually sand The edges of the mat that I used in areas that needed to be smoothed out.

post up pics if/when your done. I’d love to see the finished product.