• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maneuvering a Yamaha

chadweiser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok I just traded in a 2007 sea doo challenger 230 se for a New Yamaha AR240. The reverse on the Yamaha is completely opposite from the sea doo. Do you Yamaha owners use one engine forward and one reverse to maneuver around the docks? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ok I just traded in a 2007 sea doo challenger 230 se . The reverse on the Yamaha is completely opposite from the sea doo. Do you Yamaha owners use one engine forward and one reverse to maneuver around the docks? Thanks for any advice.
Practice all the various methods on a target buoy when you have some spare time. Different techniques work for different people. I typically will keep one throttle in neutral and use short "bump bursts" of throttle in either forward or reverse as needed from the other throttle. Unlike a prop boat, there is no gear gnashing going in and out of reverse on a jetboats, so you can shift back and forth as frequently as needed (also was true in your SeaDoo, of course).

Some of the newer Yamaha boats have some electronic speed control options that mine does not, so owners of newer boats can chime in. What year & model Yamaha did you buy? That info would help others give you the best advice that applies to your model.

Some videos showing various techniques:

This guy has practiced A LOT, so he does these maneuvers at higher speed than I would recommend, but anyone can do any of these with practice (and in such calm sea/wind conditions):

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The last video is one of the best. I saw that before I purchased my boat and it made my first time out a much more pleasant experience.

I too just use 1 throttle around the docks. One forward control and one reverse control is tricky because to me uber the boat with your steering wheel is opposite for those 2 positions. So if you give the forward throttle some gas, it will act differently with the wheel turned hard right that if you give the reverse the gas with the wheel turned hard right.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Key point to remember is all of these "looks easy" maneuvering videos have one person aboard - add a few passengers, especially to the bow, and the helm response becomes much more sluggish!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Maybe someone with twins can chime in. My past experience with twins in bigger jet boats is you can walk the boat sideways. If you don't like the direction you are going you switch your motors forward and reverse.
< (this is forward) left throttle
Neutral
.....> this takes you one direction (this is reverse) right throttle

.....> Right throttle (forward)
Neutral
< Left throttle (reverse) this takes you another direction

Note I had to put the periods in as I couldn't leave a space (when posting it didn't leave the space).

The key is just out of neutral (very little throttle) and practice.

Last edited:

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tried several different combinations. The one that works best for me is using both remote control levers (throttles) at the same time either forward or reverse. I added a manual throttle sync which allows for ease of movement of both remotes. I usually use the no wake feature and use slight inputs of forward, neutral , reverse and steering which typically allow for pretty accurate maneuvers.

Basically....both remotes.

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I heavily rely on my boats two engines/throttles in docking, and slow speed maneuvers, helps out tremendously In high wind or current conditions

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This "talent" is one that I continue to refine about 18 months into my jet boat career. I know that many of the die hard captains will disagree BUT put me in the manual throttle sync fan club. I always use both engines / throttles synced while backing my AR240 (almost 9' beem) into it's 10' wide wet slip after use. I insist on backing it in for easy unloading and loading on future trips. Also makes putting the premium mooring cover on easier to access the under swim deck eyelet snap downs. Almost impossible otherwise. One thing I learned early on is that the more distance you try to back the boat , the more problem you will have. I usually approach my slip perpendicular no more than 1 1/2 - 2 boat lengths from the opening. This is in the lowest (#1) setting of No Wake mode (about 1200 rpms). Start your turn early (atleast one slip ahead) and return both throttles to center. The boat will slowly come around to parallel. Under steering is better than overturning as you can always bump the throttles in and out for more forward momentum. Once parallel just bump throttles in reverse while leaving no wake in lowest setting. I must admit that I have good large diameter fenders on the roof support poles at the opening to the slip. If I have others on board to help its not unusual at all to cut off both engines once the stern has cleared opening and walk the boat back in. I have NO shame in that especially on windy days. It does get easier with time / experience / and confidence. Keep enjoying.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Keep in mind, you have two jet pumps turning the same direction and one on either side of the keel beam. Their flow hits in places in reverse that your seadoo didn't, and with or without the articulating keel adds a new dimensions that I am not all that certain of, because plenty of guys are still adding aftermarket steering products. You don't need them after plenty of time using the boat, but even after, they do help more in critical situation. I always used both engines, not always the same, wind and waves make a big difference, and you can't always walk the boat as some say when it is "into" the wind, it only works calm or mostly when moving downwind. Some like to use the higher rpm the lowest no wake mode will give you as it adds an incremental amount of control...but your moving faster too, so its a tradeoff. Try the different ways to maneuver after you have become successful with one method. Finding something that works and sticking with it will get you where you want to be faster, then try other techniques to add to your arsenal of "captainness"!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I recently moved from an 09 232 to a 17 242x with the articulating keel, and Cobra Venoms on it. Here's some observations on the 17:
1). It's a slow pig to respond while backing. It takes a long time to get any steering reaction out of her at all.
2). I don't have a need to have one engine in forward and the other in reverse in order to get her to spin. I
F I want her to turn leave both engines in forward and crank the wheel hard over, and she will basically turn in her own length.
3). The buckets on the 17 work differently than on the 09. On the 17, when in neutral with no wind/current, there is very little forward creep. When moving the throttles to the notch in forward, there is a little forward movement but the buckets aren't yet fully up out of the flow. From the notch, move one (or both) throttles forward about another 1/2 inch, and you can hear the water flow from the pumps change and it is truly in forward.
4). This thing really doesn't turn unless it's in forward. If I start a turn, then pull the throttles into neutral, the turn seems to stop.
5). When docking, I still feather the throttles from forward-neureal-reverse quite a bit. Lots of little adjustments

Anyway, those are some of the things I've noticed about this boat. In the long run,. It does handle much more like other boats, and less like a wandering jet boat.

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you can turn your boat 360 degrees in the same spot pushing both engines forward? I was complimented yesterday on how maneuverable the boat is, people don't realize how maneuverable these jetboats are