• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Medallion Viper 2 System

Jet16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hello Everyone,

I posted this question on the Vortex Facebook page but figured I should post it here as well. So my question is, does Anybody know if you have to do anything to the gps on the medallion viper 2 system or to the system itself before it's ready to go and be used at my lake for the very first time? Wasn't sure if anything needed to be set up in advance or if it is like a car and is just ready to go from the factory.

It's pretty difficult to find anybody with a 2017, with the new Viper 2 system that has some hours on it since they are still so new. Anyone with any help and/or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I heard of people with 2016's or earlier having to remove the SD card and program it with the Navionics web site but I honestly have no idea what this would entail.. thanks again!

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@Jet16 check out this post. This has information and links to how I had to set up my medallion for my 2015 boat. I would think the new Viper version is similar, but really know nothing about the differences between the new Viper and my original version. hope this helps somewhat....
https://jetboaters.net/threads/navionics-on-medallion.7281/

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Jet16,

The Touch Screen Command Center, also known as a Medallion Viper (2) allows charting updates via SD card made by Navionics. That card will enhance the installed map set detail. (Individual Lake detail)

Just look down on the left hand side until you get to Medallion Viper.
http://www.navionics.com/sites/default/files/documents/americas_compatibilityguide.pdf

Here is where you can purchase the card.
https://navionics-store.com/collections/navionics

The card slot is on the Viper 2 controller accessable behind the starboard bow seat cushion. The back rest is hinged and will rotate upwards. There may be a removable curtain in the way that protects the controller. Simply move that out of the way. Look at the lower right hand side of the controller and there is a small rubber protective cover that covers the two SD card slots. One SD card is the actual Nav programming card and the other is an unused SD Card. Remove the unused one and replace with new map set.

Controller schematic attached.

Walt

Attachments

Jet16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@WaltB I tried looking on the navionics web site but it is confusing. Do you know specifically what SD card am I looking for to purchase that has the detailed maps. Are they for different regions? or does it include all of the US? Is there an exact specific name for the SD card I want and would you happen to know what that is. I apologize for all the questions. Totally new to this stuff. Thanks again!

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Sorry Jet16, they changed the links I had in my previous message.

Here is what you want:
https://www.navionics.com/usa/navionics-all-us-and-canada.html

It gives you the whole US and Canada to select from. Our system will only handle a max of 2GB on the card. So once you get the card, go to their website and select the areas you want detail of, not to exceed 2GB, and download those selected areas directly to your card. The directions on this are in the packet you will receive from them.

Just for comfort, select the compatibility link, in Blue, and scroll down to verify this card works with the Medallion Viper system.

Walt

Bret

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Did you follow the instructions I sent you & update your Nav card?

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have been having a reliability problem with the Medallion Viper Map. The first time I used it, it worked fine. The second time I had to cycle the power to the Medallion Viper to get the map to come up. The last two times I have only gotten a blank blue screen.
I have cycled the cards but that has not worked. I'll have the local dealer address it when I take it in for the 25 hour service.

Walt

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@WaltB did you resolve the issue? The command center with mapping feature is one of the big selling points for getting the unit. If the map doesn't work properly, I'm not paying $2000 extra for a touch screen. :eek:

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes the issue was resolved. The Touch Screen had an internal failure and the dealership replaced it under warranty. It has been working fine since then. (About 10 hours of use thus far) Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread!

Walt

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@WaltB Glad to hear it was resolved. Do you find the chart plotting and graphical info for depth useful when boating in unfamiliar waters? We trailer to new waters all the time, but we tend to stick to the channels as we don't know the hydrophonic layout of the bottom to avoid hazards. The map would be helpful if we can see depths and be able to tour around some more without worrying about underwater hazards like shoals, sand bars, etc. I have paper maps of my local areas, and have memorized the local hazards, but I'd hate to buy and drag along big paper maps to figure out where I am when an electronic map can do it for me.
:winkingthumbsup"

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It does give significantly more detail and I like it. It’s not all that expensive either and once you have it, you have it. I’m not sure all that much changes after the first year.

Walt