• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Megaware Keel Guard Installed

Big Mo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice! That's something I have to get done in the next week or two. Any issues with the install?
No problems at all..took about an hour and a half..theres also no curing time so i went straight to the lake afterwards with no adhesion problems..must have for beaching..make sure you etch it good with the provided scotch pad

bgruhn76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Any drag issues or anything?

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been thinking about this as well. We usually don't beach but if I wanted to this would make it better. Also may help if I hit a submerged log or something like that. Thanks for sharing.

Big Mo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been thinking about this as well. We usually don't beach but if I wanted to this would make it better. Also may help if I hit a submerged log or something like that. Thanks for sharing.
I definitely recommend it..i usually dont beach either but where theres no docks avaliable, its nice to have that option

Big Mo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks good !!! I am installing one this spring !!! any tips or tricks?
Well just take your time, get a friend to help and follow the instructions to the T!! Wasnt bad at all though

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is $200 about the average for these things for a 24ft boat?

Big Mo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great and I like the amount of colors they have, reviews look good even after beaching a good amount of time. But, coming from a stern drive and having to beach all the time I can't wait to be able to back into the beach into shallow water, still thinking about it to protect from debris in the water

Freezer41

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
did you tape it in place and then do one side? I haven't looked at the instructions yet.

Big Mo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nope..there is a 1" strip in the center of the adhesive that you peel off...Run that center piece down the center of the keel..and then come back and start on either of the sides..makes sure you scotch the laydown area well, clean with rubbing alcohol and cover the area with the provided primer..once that adhesive touches that primed area on the boat, its not coming off

Alex Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problems at all..took about an hour and a half..theres also no curing time so i went straight to the lake afterwards with no adhesion problems..must have for beaching..make sure you etch it good with the provided scotch pad
I am putting the keel guard from gator guards on today or tomorrow. When reading the directions it recommends (but also states not needed) sealant around the edges to help with sealing it to the hull. I assume more of a overkill step and if you ever had to remove a PITA. Any thoughts?

Big Mo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am putting the keel guard from gator guards on today or tomorrow. When reading the directions it recommends (but also states not needed) sealant around the edges to help with sealing it to the hull. I assume more of a overkill step and if you ever had to remove a PITA. Any thoughts?
Hmm..not familiar with that brand but Megaware required etching the surface the width of the keel guard..the primer with the adhesive forms a very tight seal...I would just observe the seal and edge of the guard after install and make a decision at that time

Alex Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Yeah same steps listed for this just the last recommendation. I'll update after complete.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not right or wrong, but the keel guard can be installed lower on the bow. Mine is probably six inches or so lower than the op's and is just under the waterline when the boat is idle. If you don't want it to be seen or can't find an exact color match that's an option.

Nevertheless, it's a great addition to the boat and if you ever bumped anything with the keel you'd be glad you had one!

Alex Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Put it on this morning in about 45 min with help from the wife. I didn't seal the edges just install same as you and my instructions described. I did focus on the ends and edges as installing and went over them with extra care but nothing special. Immediately took it on the water and inspected after no concerns. Success!

Big Mo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Put it on this morning in about 45 min with help from the wife. I didn't seal the edges just install same as you and my instructions described. I did focus on the ends and edges as installing and went over them with extra care but nothing special. Immediately took it on the water and inspected after no concerns. Success!
Great!!! Where are the pics?