• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mid West trolling rods

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A shout out to my Mid Western fisherman!

I’m looking to buy a couple of trolling rods for next season. I do a fair amount of long lining-non lead core-, and down rigger fishing. After spending hours in the local shops the one rod I have come up with is the Shimano Talora. One of the local shops has 8’, 9’ and 10’6” rods. The 9’ and 10’ rods are medium / moderate, and the 8’ is medium fast which feels too stiff for down rigger use. These are two part rods, which make traveling to various lakes easy. I‘m targeting everything from Rainbow, Norther Pike, Walleye, Lake Trout and Salmon.

I’m looking for suggestions and what y’all are using in your fishing exploits.

E1BEDE96-5F82-4C41-94DF-CE73987460EE.jpeg71540FBE-A05D-4344-98B6-CC894FD6545A.jpeg7C340EAF-5E56-4EAC-9A36-230BC04A23EF.jpeg

Also, any reels that you may suggest would be helpful. I‘m thinking for dedicated trolling rods I’d like to go with a conventional with a line counter.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have Okuma reels. Fantastic. I have both the Low Profile and Standard Size. I prefer the low Profile. Smooth and nice line counter. The drag is among the nicest I have ever used.

Okuma Cold Water Low Profile Trolling/Conventional Reel | Sportsman's Warehouse (sportsmans.com)

Okuma Cold Water Line Counter Travelling/Conventional Reel - Size 153, Right | Sportsman's Warehouse (sportsmans.com)
Thanks @HangOutdoors ! I saw those at Fleet Farm. Was also looking at the Penn Rival 30 with line counter. I’m trying to make up at least one set of matching rods and reels. I have a hodgepodge of poles and reels, they work but each one is different with its own traits. Ideally I’d like to make up four trollers. I bought a Scheels walleye pole the other day that seems pretty sweet, very well balanced and super light.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have heard mixed reviews by anglers with the Penn Rival 30. I looked at it and talked to a charter guy, he indicated that he has had issues with the drag and even had one jam up. He upgraded to the Okuma and never looked back. I figured if it was good enough for someone who does fishing for a living and mixed abuse than it should out last me.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have heard mixed reviews by anglers with the Penn Rival 30. I looked at it and talked to a charter guy, he indicated that he has had issues with the drag and even had one jam up. He upgraded to the Okuma and never looked back. I figured if it was good enough for someone who does fishing for a living and mixed abuse than it should out last me.
Thanks @HangOutdoors ! Spot on with that logic! I have a few Penn conventionals that were my Dads, over 50 years old.. yikes! I remember when he bought them. I also have my little Penn level wind that he bought me when I was 8. I rebuilt the one Jigmaster, basically cleaned and lubed it and put in new drags, I have another that is a monofil (?) same treatment with that one, they both work great. My little level wind works great, super smooth but it needs new drag washers. By the way, Mystic has parts for all kinds of reels.

Last July I was using my Dads old Jigmaster and caught this fish:

E7FFB7B9-6555-4796-BCCC-A13BC0F67EFA.jpeg

Anyway, for those reels I’ll probably get a strap on Rapala line counter and mark the line with dental floss in 100’ increments. But, I still want some new reels and I really appreciate the sage advice!

What poles are you using? Are you using a down rigger?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the reels you got work no reason to change em up really. I just didn't have any for trolling so I wanted splurge a bit and get nice reals. When I am out in the garage next time I will open up my rod case and snap some pics of the rods I got.

mmmbeefy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently added an Ugly Stik BWS and Penn Warfare to my gear, I think they're pretty good bang for the buck. I had some Okuna reels fail after 15 years, can't complain about them because I literally did zero maintenance.

I stick to 7' rods so they fit in my ski locker and I don't have to worry about breaking them down. I also find that newbs and my wife have a tough time managing longer rods. (hu-huh)